main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Like you'd make the cut... ;)

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm sure dp4m actually saw them as pro's. Actually ... that doesn't read that well...

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Latin Lover and Awesome Aussie... makes for a nice pair...

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Pfft, he's too chicken to slip in tongue so it hardly counts.

And I never realised we had both been puppeteers for Audrey II.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Let's keep personal, private matters between you two, offline.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nonsense, this is the interview thread--tell us more about your tonguing of random JCers. Pics or it didn't happen!

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I can accommodate you...

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/10-years-lol.50014380/

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sorry to interrupt this lively exchange regarding the history of dp4m's tongue, but now it's time for something completely different.

It's time for the interviewer to become the interviewee. Tonight, we begin our in-depth look into the life of one of Lit's newest mods, Point Given!

Point Given [face_party]

1. Tell us about your username, why you chose it, what it means, etc. And what is the best way to address you?

2. What prompted you to start these interviews?

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Todd, are they paying you to run these interviews in every forum?

Somebody give the man colors at the very least!:p

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Todd can only have colors if they match Danny Tanner's.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

1. My name comes from a horse.

That's right, a horse.

Back in 2001, during the Triple Crown of horse racing, there was a little horse named Point Given. He apparently was the favorite to win the Kentucky Derby but finished badly, as well as in the Preakness. I'd wanted him to win for some reason so I had my dad place a lot of money on him in the Belmont Stakes, where he won handily and more importantly won me quite a bit of money.

Of course there's also the play on words part of it (the common phrase, point taken) but in this case it doesn't have much to do with me, though I imagine it did in the naming of the horse.

2. I wanted to have the Literature community to be more engaged, and have a bit of fun. With all the doom and gloom of the future existence of the EU and what shape it will be in, I figured this would be some fun, and I had been lurking the LACWAC/SWTV interview threads a bit (which of course is a reason I chose you to interview me) :p

instantdeath and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    A horse. Of course.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Mr. Ed?

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well now I have a new mental image of you PG!
    [​IMG]

15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I hate you.

Besides you know what I look like :p

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    ...this changes everything.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I approve of this message. :D

Point Given 3. What originally drew you to Star Wars and what's keeping you a fan?

4. Why did you sign up on the JCF?

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Huh. I always thought your username was a joke about Timothy Zahn's constant "Point" dialogue.

19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

3. I don't remember exactly when I became a Star Wars fan. One of my earliest memories was dressing up as Luke for Halloween when I was 4 and hitting my dad with my lightsaber. I can distinctly recall my mom taking me to the theaters when the Special Editions came out, and I remember being in complete awe of the AT-ATs at the Battle of Hoth, which I would get to replay over and over and over.....and over in various video games

The main thing keeping me as a fan is being a mod :p But seriously, I'm still in love with the entire SW universe, even if recent works haven't been that good. I'm loving the new Legacy, and hoping that Knight Errant and Agent of the Empire one day make a comeback.

4. Though I loved the films, I was never really into the Expanded Universe as much. I was aware it existed, but I was more into Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings at the time. After Episode III came out, I began to get more interested, particularly in the video games. KOTOR II had also come out around that time so I played both KOTOR games, then Battlefront II when it came out later that year and Empire at War a few months later.

I still wasn't that interested in the books, though I did know the basics of the EU through some Wookieepedia browsing. Then one day I was in Barnes and Nobles and the first of the LOTF books, Betrayal, was sitting in the new releases section. I had something like $25 remaining on my B&N card so I decided to get the book once the blurb informed me that it was "an all new adventure".

I enjoyed the first book, and wanted to discuss them online. the TOS site layout was annoying so I chose the JCF and the rest was history. I ended up lurking for a few months without an account, then finally signed up like 6 months later, then really only started posting in 2008.

And that's how I ended up reading Legacy of the Force before the NJO, X-Wing novels, Bantam, etc. :p

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given 5. Where are you originally from? Are you currently living there, or did you move elsewhere?

6. Considering you mod Lit, is this your favorite board on the JCF? What other boards do you like here?

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    5. New York born and raised, though I lived in Jersey for a while while growing up and in DC for six months soon after graduating college. I'm back in New York and loving it

6. Lit is definitely my favorite board. I've been here the longest, and I love the community here. I also like the YJCC, and their....unique sense of humor :p and I participate in various EUC and SWC game threads such as the SFD and Jedi drafts. I also post a lot in Arena since I love sports.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given 7. How would you rank the Star Wars films?

8. What other films/TV shows do you like?

23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

I. Empire Strikes Back

As a kid I liked A New Hope better, mainly because the good guys won and the Death Star was destroyed. But ESB is the best of the Star Wars films, and one of the best films ever. The Battle of Hoth captured my imagination as a kid plus you have the great understated romance with Han and Leia. Lando is introduced and is awesome even if I hated him for a while until ROTJ and Yoda is also introduced, who is plain awesome. Also you get the lineup of all the bounty hunters including one would capture the imaginations of kids everywhere....Zuckuss:p

Plus you get the best lightsaber duel in the entire saga and in the entire SW universe as a whole

II. A New Hope

This was my favorite as a kid, for the aforementioned reason that the good guys win and get honored. It's still a fantastic movie, I just appreciate ESB more that I'm older. Perhaps the only thing I'd change is the slow pacing of R2 and C3PO when they're wandering the dunes...but then again that also introduces the Jawas, who are awesome. What really works is showing that space isn't some pristine place. The Falcon isn't a sleek machine, it's a pile of junk. Aliens brawl in bars, get in shootouts and have death sentences on twelve systems. Speaking of which, the cantina scene is glorious. It manages to convey the vastness of the galaxy and its denizens in a short scene in a cramped cantina. Also I was very upset when Obi-Wan and Biggs died :(

III. Return of the Jedi

The Ewoks really sink the movie for me (in regards to the rest of the OT). I just wish Lucas had used Wookiees. But other than that it's a great film. The escape from Jabba's skiff is awesome; Leia is a badass walking into the palace with a thermal detonator and later becomes one of my first crushes during her bikini scene, Lando begins his path to redemption, in my eyes, and Luke gets a cool new lightsaber and gets to fight a rancor!

Then you get to Endor. The scout trooper chase is great, but then it bogs down with the capture by the Ewoks and C3PO telling stories. The rest of the battle (besides the Ewoks) is fantastic though. The space battle is fun and we get to meet Admiral Ackbar, who was awesome, Lando redeems himself and a lot more, and Wedge comes back again as the ultimate survivor. I liked the change from this battle from Yavin. Like Hav said before, this battle is a lot more kinetic and all over the place, which makes perfect sense for a giant fleet battle rather than a few fighter and bomber squadrons

And on the Death Star you get the Emperor, who is the perfect embodiment of evil. He was quite scary as a kid, but a cool kind of scary. Ian McDiarmid is perfect, as is all the action in the Throne room. Great fight, and even better, great music. There's the score when Luke unleashes his fury on Vader, which is my personal favorite bit of film music ever and the piece that plays when Vader ascends the steps towards Luke (it sounds like a xylophone but I'm not positive).

IV: Revenge of the Sith.

If only Lucas could have written Mace and co.'s fight with Sidious as it was in Stover's novelization. Seriously, seeing Sidious behead Tiin, reverse his saber and stab through Kolar's head in the space of a second, before they were ready, would have been really awesome to see on screen. Instead we got some cheesy slow motion deaths which looked incredibly stupid.

The rest of it was a bunch of memorable scenes tripped up by bad writing and acting. Anakin becoming Vader ("What have I done?) physically made me cringe in the theater, and Padme was next to useless throughout, which is a real shame given how good Portmas was in TPM. The lightsaber fights were flashy and fun, but I prefer the original trilogy battles more. They may have been slower and more clunky, but there was emotion behind them, a sense you don't get in the prequels. About the only parts I think were emotional was Obi-Wan's fight with Maul after Qui-Gon's death, and a tiny bit in RotS when they're fighting on the inverted platform before it goes crashing over the lavafall.

V: The Phantom Menace

Man this could have been so good if it wasn't for Jar Jar, the Gungans as a whole, and if they had a good kid actor for Anakin. Not much to say here in particular about TPM, but as a whole for the pT one thing I think was missing in the prequels was the sense of emotional investment. Even in A New Hope when Vader storms the Tantive, you got the sense of terror the Empire instilled, with the masked stormtroopers and the imposing Vader, as well as that neverending shot of the Star Destroyer chasing the Tantive. Here you get the Jedi being trapped by Nute Gunray's poison and droidekas, but there's no sense of danger or threat to draw the audience. Another good example is the space battle over Coruscant. It's flashy and looks cool, but the only pilots we see are Anakin and Obi-Wan, who we know are going to make it and some clones who I don't care about. There aren't any quick scenes of pilots being shot down like over Yavin and over Endor, no neverending stream of TIE Fighters or any commanding officer like Ackbar or Lando expressing alarm. Even the music is pretty crappy.

VI: Attack of the Clones

Havac said it all I think. It's a disjointed mess that manages to introduce a cool villian so late in the game that it doesn't even matter. Instead of the great understated romance of Han and Leia you get Anakin and Padme which is just.....ugh.....

For TV shows I'm currently watching Breaking Bad, The Newsroom and Game of Thrones (as well as the Daily Show and Colbert Report). My overall favorite shows include these three as well as The West Wing, Monk, Burn Notice, Futurama, Scrubs, early Family Guy, M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Rome and early 24. I can't really think of a way to rank these so I won't.

My overall favorite films are

1. Children of Men
    2. The Thing (the 1982 version)
    3. Casablanca
    4. City of God
    5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    6. Rear Window
    7. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
    8. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    9. The Fellowship of the Ring
    10. The Hunt for Red October

As you can see I have a thing for spy films.

Edit: I also use awesome a lot, I need a thesaurus.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yay Scrubs!

Point Given 9. What are some of your favorite pastimes/activities?

10. Who are your favorite Star Wars characters and why?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.