main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Reminds me of my childhood.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alright -- I'm finally back to a decent keyboard, so let's get crackin'. Sorry for the delay.

VII -- what a question. I always dislike questions such as these because I can never give a definitive answer. So instead I'll give a random representative sample in no particular order, but one that is not guaranteed to contain all my favorites or even my favorites in general.

Movies -- Whit Stilman's trilogy (Metropolitan in particular, but his other two are good), films with Romans, (Gladiator, Spartacus, Ben-Hur, the Emperor's Club, Agora) a bunch of Disney films (top picks: Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Lady and the Tramp), the Maltese Falcon, Ferris Bueller, Hitchcock films (particularly: Psycho and North by Northwest), the Age of Innocence, An Education, proper epics (Lawrence of Arabia in particular -- have an awesome original 70mm film piece from that, but also the other Lean epics such as Bridge on the River Kwai, Zhivago, and Passage to India (really really did not care for Ryan's Daughter)).

There are many more I'm missing, probably foreign language ones. I'm just cribbing off my facebook list to be honest. But you get the idea.

TV: West Wing, Frasier, MASH, Arrested Development, Avatar (Last Airbender as well as Korra), How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Rec, Scrubs, Mad Men, Community, The Thick of It, Upstairs, Downstairs, Downton Abbey (series 1 ONLY!), Game of Thrones, Rome, Boardwalk Empire... could go on and on and on and on and on. I am probably more of a television connoisseur than film, especially given that we're in a TV renaissance this last decade and a half or so.

VIII. Uh, this order is not final but:

I. HIM The Emperor
    II. Lord Vader
    III. Ars Dangor
    IV. uh, Jaina Solo I suppose
    V. Maarek Stele
    VI. Leia Organa
    VII. Ackbar
    VIII. um. Teren Rogriss
    IX. uhhhh. Aldaric Brandl
    X. oh **** I forgot Wedge. Wedge should be higher than this. Wedge. WEDGE.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    GrandAdmiralJello 9. What are your favorite SW video games, and what other video games do you like?

10. What are your favorite SW books and comics?

Addendum- Yes! Scrubs is awesome! :D And I totally agree on epics, particularly on David Lean's.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll answer that tomorrow since I'm going to bed in about 40 minutes so that I can wake up bright and early to play what I hope will become one of my favorite video games. :p

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [:D][face_party][:D]

Worth quoting, plus it makes me smile.

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    IX. TIE Fighter. Next question?

Well, ok. I used to say I had a "holy trinity" of video games: that is, three games I could always go back to and enjoy, no matter what. Those games are: TIE Fighter, Morrowind, and Rome: Total War. I suppose given the inordinate amount of time I've spent on it, I really ought to add Crusader Kings II to the mix, but then I'd have to rename that category...

Other games I enjoy: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, the other Total War games (Napoleon, Med II, Shogun II, and Empire in that order... too soon to say where Rome II falls in that list), the Assassin's Creed games (Brotherhood, Revelations, II, III, and I in that order), the Fable games (II, III, and I in that order), the Monkey Island games (3, 2, 1, ToMI -- haven't played 4), etc etc.

Star Wars games? Uh, well most of them aren't very good. Standouts would be: Rebellion, X-wing Alliance, Force Commander (yes, Force Commander!), GBG (sometimes), Dark Forces (until Jedi Academy), and the Rogue games I suppose.

X. Are these all going to be favorites lists? They can get pretty tedious. :p

I'm going to be brief on this one, since I feel like this is a question that most people can glean straight from my posts:

I like the WEG sourcebooks and adventure journals, the top-notch reference material from Jason Fry, Dan Wallace, Abel Pena, and co., the X-wing novels, the X-wing comics, the Legacy comics, and many more that just aren't coming to mind.

And oh, yeah.

AGENT OF THE EMPIRE

*cough* did you hear that, Dark Horse?

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    GrandAdmiralJello 11. What non-SW books/comics do you like?

12. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    :(

You must learn to respect the original.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You know, I've reinstalled it like 5 times hoping to give it another shot and each time I get distracted with something else :p

10. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    ...you mean Prince of Persia?

Great idea! Everyone go play Prince of Persia (1989) [Apple II] !

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    XI. Possibly too many to list. I like most of the classical canon -- particular favorites are the Aeneis of Virgil, the Amores and Ars Amatoria of Ovid, the six poems of Sulpicia, the Asinus Aureus of Apuleius, the Posthomerica of Quintus Smyrnaeus, the Oresteia of Aeschylus, and its sort-of follow-up the Thyestes of Seneca along with his Apocolocyntosis, and the Chris Nolan-like Aithiopika of Heliodorus.

More modern books? Random sampling: Fathers and Sons and First Love by Turgenev, Masters of Rome by McCullough, Enchantress of Florence by Rushie, and the first two books of Stover's Acts of Caine series.

XII. oh geez, my ranking of the films can change on a day to day basis -- or rather, my ranking of the OT can.

Today, let's go with: ROTJ > ESB > ANH > TPM > ROTS > Holiday Special > AOTC

ROTJ was traditionally my favorite as a kid, though I always felt the beginning was slow. ANH was my favorite through high school, and ESB was my favorite in college. Thereafter, I move about. It's not really a firm ranking at all, as it just depends on what I want to see: for the Rebellion, space battles, and the Emperor, I watch ROTJ. For Vader, I watch ESB. For a sense of transport and wonderment, I watch ANH -- I often like to pretend what it would be like watching the things for the first time.

TPM I like best because it's the most OT like, but also shows Lucas's downward trend which started with the Ewoks and the nonsense inserts into the SEs (I don't refer to Greedo shooting first, but stupid things like animal poop). ROTS is pretty meh and has painful love dialogue, but it's mercifully short. I kind of wish the whole movie had ended with the Invisible Hand crashing on Coruscant and killing everyone in some sort of massive Saxtonite catastrophe, because at least then the movie would have ended while it was still amazing. And AOTC is just worthless. I enjoyed watching it for the first time when I saw it spoiler free, and since then it just becomes something I have to get through to watch the other films. It feels more like a promotion for the Clone Wars media blitz than a real movie, and the only good things about it -- setting up a morally ambiguous war -- were ruined by the subsequent material anyway.

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Which brings me to my next question.

13. What is your opinion of the Star Wars Holiday Special? How did you first watch it (first if you've seen it more than once)?

14. What are your feelings regarding the show The Clone Wars?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

XIII: It's pretty... overrated, I suppose? It's just boring for the most part: there are some major weird elements to it, to be certain, and the Tatooine cantina portion is the only one that's actually interesting but it's just kind of a thing I guess? Its legend has far outstripped what it actually is.

And I watched it on youtube just a few years ago. I guess that's the nice thing about the internets: you don't need to scour the universe for a VHS recording of the thing.

XIV: That show... I just don't know what to make of it. Sometimes it's a silly kid's show, sometimes it's brutally adult. Sometimes it takes the CIS to cartoonish new lows, other times it seriously examines the nuances of war. Sometimes it destroys EU for the hell of it, and sometimes it makes awesome obscure references. The last season seemed to both enhance its strengths as well as its flaws: when it was good it was GOOD, when it was bad it was BAD. No more middle ground, I guess.

Somebody once suggested I do a TCW retrospective thread in the vein of the Jacen thread or the GoDV thread: essentially doing an episode by episode commentary on the show from the perspective of an Imperial propagandist, essentially showing it as an in-universe guide to why the Empire was great because of how stupid the show made the Jedi, Republic, and Separatists all look. Idea seemed great once upon a time, but I wonder if now the idea's lost its charm, especially since the show is over with for all intents and purposes.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Some would argue that there's never been a better time to start a thread like that. We're between shows now, and who knows how Rebels will treat the Empire. I'd personally love if you did a thread like that.

Dante1120 and MercenaryAce like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    GrandAdmiralJello 15. Are there any aspects of SW canon you dislike? If so, what changes would you make?

16. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

blackmyron likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    You have to go farther back than that...

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    XV. Oh... where to begin? Here are a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh hai I has a title now. Yippee! Anyway.
    And a new one!

17. Which Roman Emperors do you most admire and why?

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Todd, now you have to change your avatar to this:

[​IMG]

jSarek, blackmyron and Gamiel like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oddly these days, when I hear "April O'Neil" that's ... not the first thing that pops in my head...

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Roman, Eastern Roman, or Western Roman? :p

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or Holy Roman?

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    In name only.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

SIGH. I swear, it's TWICE now that I've accidentally erased my post by closing this tab by mistake while still typing it. So I'll just answer the first question and get the next question next.

XVI. Hmm -- force power, and only one. Tricky tricky.

I guess I'll settle for absorbing the Valley of the Jedi. Sounds like a good power to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.