main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    19:
    Ben Burtt, since the sound effects in the movie is awesome, and I have always enjoyed the process of creating sound effects. (I remember watching Movie Magic on TV like 15 years ago)
    John Williams. Great composer, not just for Star Wars but for basically everything. I would love to get him and James Horner in the same place and make them do a battle of the bands composers
    Shannon McRandle. Because Mara Jade.

Well, X-Wing series is a classic, as is Rebellion. And the Dark Forces series. and the Rogue Squadron games for Nintendo. But Lucasarts started to go downhill when their games became glorified mods of other games- Galactic battlegrounds was fun, but was just Age of Empires II. Battlefront was OK, but was Battlefield 1942 with Star Wars. And Battlefront 2 was terrible. I did like Galaxies a lot, but the combat revamp then the NGE really hurt it badly. And the Galaxies Card Game attached to it was rather fun, though I spent far too much money on it in retrospect.
    I've probably invested the most time into XW Alliance, through the Upgrade project. I really need to reinstall all of that and play again. Grab the joystick out of the closet.

EA taking over? Well, on one hand, they have put out some good games- Battlefield 3 was tons of fun, and BF4 is even better. If they use that engine for the new Battlefront III, and leave out the stupid hero/jedi mechanic, it will have a lot of potential. I don't really like them as a company, with microtransactions and all, but they are a publisher, so the quality of the games will depend a lot on who they have develop them. And as long as they don't get tempted to plaster Jedi and Boba Fett into everything. I mean 1313 sounded and looked awesome, then they ruined it by replacing the potential for a new interesting character with you playing as boba fett. Now I'm glad it got cancelled.

I'd also hope for some new versions of classic games- Rebellion II using say the Sins of the Solar Empire engine, or the GalCiv III engine. Jedi Knight III on the engine used for Bioshock. A new X-Wing style game, a proper space flight sim, or even like the old Rogue Squadron games, and not a simple rail shooter. Maybe a ground combat game to replace the old Force Commander. There is a lot of potential, and EA is big enough to potentially capitalize on it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Oh, not to derail the thread, but could you? The only ones I ever see in Barnes & Noble are Tintin and Asterix. I know a whole lot more, but never seen them translated, or at least never brought to America. Where'd you go to find more?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 21. What would you do if you won the lottery?

22. What is the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

4. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    21. Depends on how much. But ignoring that, probably pay off student loans, pay off the house I am in, move to denver and buy a place there, take Paramedic training, buy a bunch of warhammer 40k/Forgeworld models, and pick up a bunch of the card games, dvds, and books I have been wanting. And take a trip or two to england and/or Oz.

22. I honestly don't know. I find a lot of stuff amusing or funny, but I can't really pick out one thing that I would call the funniest. Kind of like the quotes question. I have a lot that I like, but can't really pick favorites from among them. I will say the one thing that is guaranteed to get a smile out of me even in the foulest mood is the episode Lesson Zero of My Little Pony.

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  5. Todd the Sock

Todd the Sock rawr ima mod star 1

Dec 13, 2013
    And that's the end of the interview! Give a round of applause for AWJ. =D=

We'll be back with a new interview soon, but right now the floor is open for anyone else to ask Janson any questions.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who do you consider the best dressed in SW?

It seems that I have to take back on the American published part since many of the books I was thinking of were published by the British Cinebook. Also I don't have the time right now to look around about the other titles I was thinking of but I can mention the work by Peter Bergting - The Portent (Image/Stranger Comic), The Portent - Ashes (Stranger Comic) and Domovoi (Dark Horse)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Cinebook editions are available in the US, but in terms of page count, they can appear pricey in comparison to the US material. My recommendations:

The Scorpion by Desberg and Marini, a Rennaisance swashbuckler:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Devils-Ma...d=1398018282&sr=8-2&keywords=scorpion+desberg
    (Vol 1 collects albums 1-2, Vol 2, 3-4; then they switch to single album collections, so Vol 3 = Vol 5 etc... Projected to be 16 albums.)

[​IMG]

Orbital by Runberg and Pelle, a SF epic:
    http://www.amazon.com/Scars-Orbital...id=1398018465&sr=8-1&keywords=orbital+runberg
    (Told in 2-part stories so best bought as Vols 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 - vol 6 not yet available)

[​IMG]

Largo Winch by van Hamme and Franq - thriller involving companies, action, industrial espionage and sex:
    http://www.amazon.com/Heir-Largo-Wi...K_1_55?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398018668&sr=1-55
    (Again 2-part stories but Vol 1 has albums 1-2, Vol 2 3-4, Vol 3, 5-6, Vol 4 7-8, then Vol 9 = album 9 and so on)

[​IMG]

XIII by van Hamme and Vance - conspiracy thriller centred on an amnesiac who may or may not be an assassin:
    http://www.amazon.com/Day-Black-Sun...id=1398018847&sr=1-10&keywords=XIII+van+hamme

[​IMG]

Available from Archaia, but note Omnibus 1 and 2 could be hard to find - Secret History by Pecau and Korday (yeah, the same poor bastard who did New X-Men at speed and people thought him rubbish, read this to see what he can really do!):
    http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Histor...019163&sr=1-2&keywords=secret+history+omnibus
    (If you're lucky to find a copy for a decent price grab it, each volume is about 350 pages, collecting 6-7 albums.)

[​IMG]

And that should be enough to keep people going for a time. Points to stress:

• The Franco-Belgian system works by albums of between 48-72 pages, sometimes larger still, published on a 1-2 yearly basis.
    • The greater timespan means they tend to cram as much as they can into 1 album and the art will be very detailed, so justifying the longer production time.
    • You can easily read 2-3 albums and it'll be 2-3 years worth of work.

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would absolutly also ad Valérian and Laureline
    [​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Gamiel Who do you consider the best dressed in SW?

Well, some of the obvious answers would be Lando, dapper gentleman extraordinaire, Or K'Krukh with the Hat. But I really have to go with Wedge in the NR dress uniform. It's simple, striking, and he pulls it off well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've found the first 7 volumes to be all-right, but does it get any better? It's good but it's not stunning.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favorite non-human specis?
    Were is that image from?
    I am not the right person to ask that since I am a bit bias

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't care about that G, the general line seems to be V&L takes a bit of time to get going but once it does it's excellent, well, if that's so where is that event horizon? Volume 8 or 9? 10?

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Another problem I should mention is that I have not read them in the right order (I am not even certain they were published in the right order were I live) so I don't really know [face_dunno]

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, OK. It's just, at this point, I'm looking for reasons to continue the series as the 7 volumes I've read have been good, but not great - which is what it's supposed to be.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would try to have my library get the series so I could contiued my reading but could by just the albums that I really liked

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel That image of Wedge is from the comic mini Chewbacca. Wedge's part in that comic is pretty damn hilarious.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Gamiel Favorite Non-human species?

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'm also going to exclude any near-humans (I like Pantorans and Mirilans thanks to Riyo Chuchi and Bariss Offee)

Probably have to go with either Mon Calamari or Togruta. Again, it comes down to individuals of the species- I like Ackbar, and I like Ahsoka (and to a lesser degree Shaak Ti) to my fondness for those characters is projected to the species. Since WEG decided that the individuals we see are the archetypes of the species (All Ithorians are pacifists! Hutts are all gangsters! Duros are all pilots (or bounty hunters)! Nemoidians are all scheming cowards!) I feel pretty safe making my species decision based on some of my favorite non-human characters.

The most criminally underused species in my opinion would have to be Herglics. A fun concept, and meant to be common spacers by WEG, and forgotten since.

Gorefiend, Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fully agree, I would love to see more of the Herglics - their culture, ships (who in my head are catamaran like) and architecture and how human sized people interact in terrain constructed for people who are 2.5 high and nearly as vide

20. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I myself picture herglic craft as being like the derelict ship in Alien/ Prometheus

darthscott3457 likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Favorite Starship design?

22. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    It took me a while to narrow down the options. So many good ships to choose from. The Miranda and Defiant classes are good. Sulaco is a nice transport. Galactica (old and new) and Pegasus (old and new) are classics. But I assume we are limiting this to star wars.

Even among Star Wars ships, there are a ton to love. But thinking about it, my introduction to fleet junkiehood came from Rebellion, and one ship from that game is by far the best:
    [​IMG]

Tough, well armed, and with a massive starfighter and troop complement, Liberators form the core of my fleets once I research them. Also, they are one of only I think 3 ships from Rebellion that have not been referenced in the EU since.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What were the other two? Ships that look like Dauntless-class have appeared (Crimson Empire III comic has one)- even if they haven't been described in detail.

The CC-9600 I haven't seen in any comic though - and Wookieepedia only mentions Rebellion and the Encyclopaedia as referencing them.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

CC-9600, the Assault Transport and the Galleon.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I have faith in FFG we'll see them eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.