Lit Literature member interviews (Interviewing Findswoman)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given, Jun 6, 2013.

1. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4

Hmm. If I were to live in Westeros, I'd probably be either a Northerner or from the Free Cities- my ancestry simply demands it. So I'd probably get caught up in a Red Wedding or an exiled Targaryen sacking a city within a year.

GFFA? Maybe. I'd... probably just go be a galactic historian or xenoarchaeologist.

Malazan? Eh, Malazan is awesome, but there's far too many ways to die horribly, even for a modern fantasy setting.

Tamriel? Sure! Because I could satisfy my Romanophilia without all of the baggage of the classical Roman Empire- the Third Empire of Tamriel is Roman-inspired, but is anti-slavery, pro-gender equality, and pro-interspecies equality. Also the Dunmer are pretty cool, even if they kinda deserved everything that happened to them post-Morrowind. Daedric invasions, volcanic explosions, amphibian uprisings, oh my!

If we're going for only mildly fictional, the Assassin's Creed milieu would be an interesting one to experience. It would be fascinating/interminably dull to use an Animus on my bloodline.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    I'd like to think I could CHIM.
  3. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4

Ah, but could you achieve CHIM without zero-summing?
  4. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    Oh it's getting all MK in here :p
  5. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    Yes.
  6. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Alright, it's time for our next subject, @Sniper_Wolf![face_party] (And if one of the- oh wait, I'm a mod now, I can change the title myself :D )

1. Tell us about your username, why you chose it, what it means, etc. And what is the best way to address you?

2. What made you sign up for the Jedi Council Forums? Do you post on any other forums?
  7. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    1). My original username, which if a person still remembers you can truly tell how lifeless the person is, was WarmasterDan, a clever portmanteau of the warrior caste rank and the diminutive of my given name, Daniel, despite my well known dislike of being called a tribe of Israel- I was in eight grade when I signed up so logic did not apply. Some time during 2003 I alternated with my then sock, Sniper_Wolf, based off of a love of the Metal Gear franchise, though my love has tapered off a bit in the decade plus one since then. If you come across a hybrid form, Sniper Wolf the Warmaster, on another website then you know that is me regurgitating on my keyboard.

Similar to a Tolkien character I seem to have different personae for every town or place I'm in. Back in Fort Scott, Kansas, my hometown, most of my friends call me O'Rear, the second half of my double barreled surname, Lawrence-O'Rear (I dislike the hyphen though most Americans assume I posses two middle names if I exclude it). In Emporia, Kansas, my alma mater, I'm Ripley, my professional name and username at the Galactic Senate and LitReactor, to answer your second query partly. I am on my lunch break so you can just use Daniel for simplicity.

2). I imagined I signed up to TheForce.Net during the craze following Attack of the Clones for the films and around the time Traitor was released. My original September 2002 sign up is misleading given I did not start posting until late October of that year. The exact reasons are hazy. I was in middle school, my baby sister was not born, I had yet to indulge in the degenerate behavior most aspiring, wannabe, and faux writers and journalists enjoy during post-secondary education.
  8. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Sniper_Wolf 3. What are some of the best parts about where you live?

4. What places have you traveled too? Any favorite locations?
  9. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    3). I moved to a small town in Montana for work. Here, I am an hour and a half from the nearest Wal-Mart.

4). I traveled to Australia- New South Wales-, Massachusetts, and Canada- Ontario and Quebec- in consecutive years. Moving to Montana I've been across all of the Great Plains now. Texas is nice, Nevada better. Went to San Francisco, so I've been in the half northern half of California despite Dad growing up in Los Angeles. I'm sure I'll end up there at some point.
  10. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Sniper_Wolf 5. Tell us how you become a Star Wars fan, and SW lit in particular.

6. What other franchises do you like besides SW and which are you most passionate about?
  11. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    5). I cannot recall when I became a Star Wars fan (Yes, I know this is a boring origin story :p ). One of my earliest memories was my heartbreak over the Fort Scott Public Library's copy of Return of the Jedi breaking. Literature came around sixth to seventh grade at the latest because I remember reading Vector Prime during the time frame. I lost my Lit virginity to Vision of the Future, not the greatest place to start, but I enjoyed it well enough to blaze through most of the EU.

6). My pseudonym shows my hard-on for the Alien franchise; I actually prefer the four Sigourney films- Alien 3 SE- to Star Wars as a whole. I rereading Dune, and I immensely like the Dune Chronicles over Tolkien. The Dune Encyclopedia versus the Herbert fils/KJA is a great comparison to the upcoming Sequel Trilogy/Post-ROTJ EU argument. I'll mail money to the person on this board who can explain why KJA was chosen to urinate on Herbert. I've joined the Game of Thrones bandwagon despite my relative dislike of fantasy. I've irritated most of my friends with my House Greyjoy fandom. Same, this year I picked up on the Ender's Game franchise. While some of the writing and acting are quite awful, the Babylon 5 universe is immersive enough for me to enjoy.
  12. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Sniper_Wolf 7. What would you do if you won the lottery?

8. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?
  13. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I always wondered how the KJA's writing was accepted by the traditional Dune fans....[face_tee_hee]
  14. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    IIRC, the Dune wiki self-regulates the Brian Herbert/KJA fiction as a separate continuity from the strictly Frank Herbert novels and the Dune Encyclopedia by Willis McNelly, despite the "official policy" from the Herbert estate being that it's only one continuity. Dune fans want their EU to be non-canon.
  15. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    7). Probably keep living in the middle nowhere, no work, and type up my silly stories.

8). I group the KOTOR 1 and 2 crews . All of them are great. Similar, I'm fan of the entire Legacy volume one cast. Fun all around. Boba Fett as a mandalore who doesn't speak the language is a joy to read, and props to his gay aide de camp, Beviin. Den Dhur entertains me because a sullustan is the representation of my job. Lando has always been underused and wasted. He could have been chief of state. Cal Omas in Dark Nest for resembling an actual politician. Kyle Katarn for throwing my friends off cliffs using Force Choke. Props to Alpha because my best friend who goes by the name Alpha would shoot me if I didn't include him.
  16. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Sniper_Wolf 9. What are your favorite non-SW TV shows/movies?

10. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?
  17. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Are you Stephen King?

No wait. You're clearly JJM's sock. #8 reveals that much.
  18. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
  19. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    He writes in pseudonyms, wants to live in the middle of nowhere, writes odd stories (and I should indicate makes lengthy but intermittent posts as King publishes books), and -- most important of all -- uses typewriter font.
  20. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    Because I crap out endless lines to make my posts too long. :cool: (to be fair, I own over twenty of Sai King's books).

9). I'm a fairly vanilla American genre fan. Original Star Trek, Babylon 5 over DS9 because the Londo/G'Kar/Tron triumvirate can kill gods (Damn, Mr. Morden dying was so satisfying), the two Buffyverse shows plus Firefly for Whedon, Battlestar remake and Caprica. I enjoy your standard HBO shows: The Sopranos (Dad's favorite), Game of Thrones, The Wire, Deadwood, and Six Feet Under (my favorite HBO). The latter seasons of Heroes are great at making you forget how solid the first season is. I grok Lost, own all the DVDs, yet I feel I might dislike them the second time around. Props to Mad Men and Breaking Bad on AMC; The Walking Dead is such pile of awful. We must never forget Twin Peaks, the ur-text to all of this nice American television.

Film, I've mentioned the Alien films. For best to least I am Alien, Alien 3: SE, Alien Resurrection, and Aliens: SE. I can list all of Fincher's and Jeunet's filmographies. I chuckle when Cameron nags about the direction the franchise went since Fincher and Juenet surpasses Cameron in every aspect. All of the Nouvelle Vague directors are great, which is why our New Hollywood directors watched them all night when they were in school. Werner Herzog is insane, plus David Lynch- yes, I've watched and enjoy Eraserhead though, my god, Dune is truly that awful. Martin Scorsese surpasses his fellow New Hollywood directions because him and Spielberg are the only ones to remain consistent throughout their careers. Kubrick because we can't fight in here, this is a war room. I know the list sounds cookie cutter due to the drunk wannabe writers and directors pontificating at the bar to look cool instead of doing the actual work involved, but these filmmakers are fun none the less.

10). A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are tied, maybe a slight edge to Empire. Return of the Jedi is a good conclusion, but is weaker for reasons everyone listed in this thread. I must reiterate realizing the Prequel films are bad is the geek version of confirmation, baptism, losing your virginity, insert your coming of age ritual. The Phantom Menace has a slight advantage thanks to the lack of Hayden, and when Hayden is opposite anyone save Portman in Revenge of the Sith the better actor can carry him. Attack of the Clones, just blah. Terrible acting all around. Obi-Wan/Jango keeps the film from utterly imploding. The Prequel Era is the definite case of the EU outshining the films, original Clone Wars or the Cartoon Network show. For as much boredom Zahn recent works have brought him, Outbound Flight is a superb characterization of Obi-Wan and Anakin, outdoing even Lucas.
    Last edited by Sniper_Wolf, Dec 17, 2013
  21. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Sniper_Wolf 11. What are your favorite novels, books, and short stories, both in and out of SW?

12. What are your favorite comics and graphic novels, both in and out of SW?
  22. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    11). Time for a torrent of blue. I'm going to do non-EU first to help create a rationale and background for my EU choices. I'm going to aim for a somewhat chronological order of release.

I preferred The Illiad over The Odyssey when I read them during high school. Blame my bestial blood lust.

Psalms and Job for the Old Testament. Until I joined the Episcopal Church and started using the Daily Office for my prayer guideline my knowledge of the psalms was abysmal. Very enriching read. During my times of unemployment I spent a lot of time pouring over Job. St. Luke, Roman, and Galatians in the New Testament.

St. Augustine is never boring. Confessions for anyone interested, City of God for the devoted.

Beowulf, the greatest bar fight in history. Listening to the Old English original is fun despite my utter ignorance of Old English.

Read the central triumvirate of English- Bard, Milton, and Chaucer- for classes and on my own in university. Spent a lot of time going through the Emporia State library picking up the large volumes of Shakespeare. Enjoyed King Lear a lot.

Don Quixote, still funny several centuries later. Hope Gilliam can finally pick up his adaption sometime.

Anything Thomas Paine wrote. Still readable today.

Goethe's Faust is my favorite version. The professor even made jokes about portraits of Faust found on wikipedia resembling Hayden Christensen.

Moby-Dick. What, do you need a reason?

Mark Twain. Too bad the puritanical fascists are trying to erase the N-word out of the story. Everyone should read Huck at some point.

Grant's and Sherman's memoirs. My degree is in American History, focus on the Civil War. I hope you can enjoy these as much as I did.

Longfellow's Evangeline and The Courtship of Miles Standish. How I convinced someone to publish a bad rewriting of them shocks me even though I quite enjoyed the money he paid me.

Hooray, we've reached Faulkner and The Sound and the Fury, one of my two favorite novels. Jason Compson IV is a character who makes you laugh, and then you feel awful because of what he said. After science fiction southern literature is my favorite genre, making the Lost Generation resemble castrated drunks. A Streetcar Named Desire is still great despite Seinfeld.

Robert Heinlein and all of his work.

Dune Chronicles by Herbert. Dune Messiah and God Emperor of Dune are my favorites, God Emperor possibly my favorite science fiction novel. Herbert is at his best when he deconstructs chosen ones.

Philip K. Dick and I have a love hate relationship. Yes, he is somewhat of a diet Thomas Pynchon who is picked up by academia due to Dick's work including some of the prerequisite "criteria" loved by the academy. The Man in the High Castle and A Scanner Darkly are good. VALIS is largely a track of mindless babbling. From a extratextual perspective I enjoy the beginning because my ex-girlfriend is named Gloria, and we did a fair amount, actually quite a lot, of acid and cocaine in between classes and on school breaks. Mind you I hope you never have to see bizarre visions to enjoy a novel.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, my second of my two favorite novels. All of Pynchon's ouvre is great. I read Inherent Vice by accident after finishing Playback by Raymond Chandler. Great lead-in.

Bret Easton Ellis, as per my signature and avatar at the moment. American Psycho is the only novel to make me feel ill after reading it. The Rules of Attraction is a great satire of college alongside a fair good representation of my undergrad experience.

Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. Children of the Mind and the Shadow novels start to taper off a little. Game is probably the most realistic novel I have read about gifted children. I remember the spirited discussion my boyfriend at the time and I had over Speaker. He hated it, I loved it. I enjoy authors who will tune the feel of a sequel instead of regurgitating the same plot over.

Big fan of Charles Bukowski, especially Women. Hank Chinaski is essentially my father if Dad was a writer and stayed in L.A. instead of moving to Kansas. I imagine I would enjoy watching the hardcore feminist crowd's head explode if they read it.

George R.R. Martin and Brandon Sanderson are two of the few fantasy authors I take seriously as writers. A Clash of Kings and Mistborn for me. I've only read the first Wheel of Time novel, but Jordan is entertaining for sub-Tolkien. Stephen King- The Dark Tower, The Stand, Everything's Eventual, The Shining, and The Green Mile.

Stieg Larsson's books are fun to read despite the crackpot prose, probably part inferior translation inferior ability for a journalist to edit himself.

Now I feel I can flip over to the EU. I'll take a chronological timeline approach as well. I'm going to throw in the comics as well.

Tales of the Jedi: Redemption. I must say @rogue-1-and-a-half for pointing out most of Tales of the Jedi is slightly silly despite being a great backstory to KOTOR. Perhaps the drugs kicked in, but KJA finally delivers after millions of words of bad prose.

I like Drew K's Darth Bane trilogy. I give the weak prose a pass because I know Drew K is a great video game writer (KOTOR and Mass Effect I and II outshine most of the EU) working outside of his prime format. I apply this as well to Michael Reeves.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter entertained me, and Cloak of Deception is one of the few Luceno novels I enjoy.

Include the Car'das/Thrawn sections and the Anakin/Obi-Wan characterizations from Outbound Flight. If C'Baoth Prime was not a idiot screamer then OF would have been a great novel. Zahn's last readable book.

Shatterpoint, the MedStar duo, Republic Commando (Triple Zero and the ROTS concurrent portions of Order 66), and the ROTS novelization for the Clone Wars. The original Clone Wars novels are biploar in quality. The pseudo-intellectualism of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and the irredeemable terrible of Jedi Trial alongside Shaft in the Jungle and Ostrander/Duuresma? I want my stupid pills back.

I have only read the first Crispin Solo novel and parts of Daley, but I enjoy what I read. Shadows of the Empire is a cornerstone still standing strong. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor for reasons apparent to all.

Thrawn Trilogy is still excellent despite C'Baoth 2.0 almost blowing a hole in the plot. Insane megalomaniacs are boring to read. Dark Empire has superior atmosphere and characterization despite the glaring claptrap of Clone Emperor.

Children of the Jedi is still underrated. The Black Fleet Crisis, maybe the best of the Bantam Era.

Star by Star, Traitor, Desinty's Way with "Ylesia" edited in, and the first Force Heretic novel. A lot of the plotting, characterization, and pacing of the New Jedi Order is manifestly stupid, becoming more obvious the older I am. The mentioned novels are talented writers doing the best they can. Please, bring back Walter Jon Williams.

The Dark Nest Trilogy. A nice adult trilogy after the constantly disguised YA novels in New Jedi Order. The novels really are not about Bugs, Jae and Tarfang are a nice friendly jab at star strucked fans, and Bwa'tu screaming "commando raid!" in The Unseen Queen is one of my favorite scenes in the franchise. I noticed the original version of the character is a lot closer to an EU Professor Lockhart than the later incarnations.

Legacy of the Force could have been the greatest EU series if he had five novels co-written by Denning and adamantium editor chained Karen Traviss. The series runs too long, and the occasional detours into Aaron Allston's inability to write a non-summarised battle can strain the nerves, but when LOTF hits the right beats the sections are amazing to read. I hope I never locked in a closet containing a tazer, a katana, open Johnnie Walker Black bottles, and a pound of cocaine because my relapse might resemble Tahiri's.

Fate of the Jedi, really Legacy of the Force's unofficial second half, suffers some of the same issues as LOTF. Christie Golden needs a strong line edit revision of her novels, but she invokes emotion. Ben flow walking (at age sixteen, the same age as Jacen in Vector Prime, could this be a parallel?) to see younger Jacen not an evil Sith? Immensely superior than Allston's juvenile rubbish in Outcast.

Crucible, a good coda to the DN/LOTF/FOTJ storyline. I'm probably going to reread this soon. Plus Legacy Volume One, my favorite EU comic.

My recent comic reading has tappered off quite a bit due to costs. Frank Miller in his prime, Alan Moore, Johns, Strangers in Paradise, some Whedon. Not very memorable.
  23. Todd the Sock Jedi Padawan

@Sniper_Wolf This is me, just on the road.

13. What was your reaction to Disney's purchase os SW, and what are your hopes for the sequel trilogy?

14. If you could live on any planet in the GFFA, which would it be and why?
  24. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember walking home from the gym to my mother's house in Fort Scott where one of my friends, the one I've dubbed Trekkie, left a YIM message on my Mom's computer. The announcement fazed me for a moment, but once the initial punch hit me the decision does not seem that surprising. I'm expecting the Sequels to be better than the Prequels and most of the post-ROTJ EU. J.J. is still a good filmmaker unlike George, and the inclusion of an academy award winning screenwriter and Kasdan gives me hope.

14). How about something different so I'll say Sluis Van. They seem to have a lower probability of being invaded by barbarians or other fools.
    Barriss_Coffee and Todd the Jedi like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Sniper_Wolf 15. What do you like and dislike about the show The Clone Wars?

16. What is your opinion of the Star Wars Holiday Special, and would you prefer it with or without RiffTrax?