main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well that's one way to put it.[face_laugh]

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Journal of the Whills - 3:16

"For Force so loved the GFFA, that Ashla gave His only begotten Skywalker, that whoever believes in Midichlorians should not perish, but have eternal force-ghost."

3. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Man, I can't believe Trip's a girl. I always pictured some guy with a beard (under that stormtrooper helmet of course).

Next thing I know, Havac will reveal he doesn't have a beard.

TheRedBlade, Trip and Bib Fartuna like this.
  4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Or worse, Havac IS a beard.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999

=D=[:D]^:)^

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Trip 11. What are your favorite SW books and comics?

12. What non-SW books/comics do you like?

7. djemsostylist

djemsostylist Jedi Knight

Mar 8, 2012
    Remember that amazing one where they hunted people for sport in a forest? And also how could you forget about Hotcakes, he is literally the best part of that show, lbr

omgomg I agree with all of these b/c they are all my babies (you put Jag up there you precious person) but how could you forget Owen and Bail?? :(

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Speaking of hunting for sport--if Hunger Games can be the YA success that it is, I don't think TCW is all that out of bounds.

9. djemsostylist

Mar 8, 2012
    Vader had this really big cape that you could turn around to be a giant bib, it was seriously amaze. Also, Luke had weird lip prints on his bathrobe shirt thing (what even was that?) and Leia was as big as a man so we turned her around and put her boobs in the back and made her like, an andro person who borrowed all of Ken's clothes. It was truly the best thing :D

Truer words have never been spoken *sheds tear*

Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan is about the only one who has a place in my universe tbh. Everyone else, god save all their precious souls, need to go

10. djemsostylist

Mar 8, 2012
    I mean, stealing dead people's eyes and making dog beings is creepy yo (and god bless the YA world. Trip and I were at Barnes and Noble today and the fact that they have a "Paranormal Teen Romance" section worries me really)

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Kids can handle mature themes, and SHOULD be allowed to handle mature themes.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really depends on the kid in question, some will be fine, some won't be.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And? Does that mean the show shouldn't have existed? Correct me if I'm wrong -- but you haven't watched it. Trip barely watches it -- so the objection isn't anything to do with the show, just its very idea. In other words, just because the very concept MIGHT be problematic for SOME hypothetical children out there. Are we going to censor creative endeavors now because someone out there might be offended, depriving everyone else of the chance to enjoy it?

Perhaps if some kids are unusually sensitive to robots shooting each other, their parents should exercise some responsibility instead of armchair psychologists.

And the really interesting part about Trip's comment about it being a nihilistic proxy war fought by clones and droids is that one of the *few* things that the show actually does right is communicate the idea that clones actually are people and it's not right to treat them as if they were robots. Its best episodes, in fact, play with that very idea. And you know, perhaps in a time and place where wars are fought with an increasing disconnect from the general public -- including the lack of even a discernible impact on the civilian standard of living -- it might be nice for our children to understand that it's humans who fight wars and die in them, and that they can't be abstracted away into mere numbers.

But then maybe I'm just crazy. :)

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm inclined to agree with Jello on this one. I mean, parenting is like my worst nightmare, and I certainly don't intend to put any poor kid through it, but I've never understood the concept of hiding a child from the world. I mean, a parents job is to prepare their child for the world, is it not? Speaking from experience, my parents were the "I'll tell you when you're older" type, and I can only remember being frustrated at not getting straight answers and having to figure things out for myself. Perhaps that built character in the long run, I can't say, but I do firmly believe that children don't have to be talked down to.

I have to cringe, personally, when I hear about parents keeping things like the existence of homosexuality from children (happens a lot where I'm from) because it's a "complicated" issue. If you ask me, that's only more reason to educate them on it earlier, to prepare them to be a member of society and not shove them in head-first when they reach a certain age. And as for violence, speaking as someone who was a kid not that long ago, I know that for me, when something was forbidden, it only made me more determined to find out about it. '

I'm certainly not suggesting we show children snuff films to let them know that stuff like this does happen, of course. Frankly, that kind of stuff shouldn't be seen by adults either. But I don't believe that lying to children will result in them growing up to be better people, either.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    *Treads lightly into this conversation.* I didn't watch TCW, but my kids did. Of course, they're 13 and 11 - and old enough to read YA novels like THG, which my daughter in particular, loves. But you can't ignore that TCW is marketed towards kids much much younger than what I'd consider YA - and that many many parents out there aren't paying a bit of attention to what their kids are watching. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown, or that it's inappropriate for any children to watch, but I don't think Trip is totally off the mark. I didn't let my 4 year old watch it with her older siblings.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    krtmd I don't disagree with you. The show definitely seemed to have problems deciding whether it was a kid's show or whether it was an adult's show, and the tone of the episodes would vary wildly. And I agree that in any case, the show was heavily marketed towards a younger subset of kids than it ought to have been.

What I strongly objected to was the notion that a show about the Clone Wars as a conflict was inherently inappropriate for any age group of kids just because it was talking about a meaningless waste of life of a war (as opposed to a kid's show about a "good" war or somesuch, I guess?). So what I was getting across is that kids don't need to be protected from such things, but should instead understand that war isn't fun and games.

'cause a lot of games and TV shows make it look like it is.

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    you guys before this gets too deep here I just want to clarify that my objection isn't due to "mature themes" or whatever in and of itself, it's just due to that particular war being a setting that I don't think lends itself well to a weekly TV series aimed at 6-8 year olds. And not because it'll cause like psychological trauma or whatever but because it's boring and could be about something way more interesting and easy to follow. Like, I dunno... a show about Anakin's padawan years could've been pretty great.

18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I considered it but the versions of Owen and Bail that (you and) I love basically don't exist in the canon though. :(

yeah that one was pretty rad actually

for those wondering wtf she's talking about Hotcakes = Hardcase. We legit thought they were calling him Hotcakes the entire episode until I looked it up online.

Anyway...

Traitor is my absolute favorite, hands down. After that are all the rest of Stover's books-- Shatterpoint, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and Revenge of the Sith. I've definitely got a soft spot for I, Jedi. I love the entire NJO series as a whole, although I think a lot of the individual books are kinda weak. Favorites from that series though aside from Traitor are Balance Point and The Final Prophecy. And finally it's not a novel but "Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett" is definitely one of my favorite bits of Star Wars prose.

For comics... my favorite overall ongoing was probably Legacy (not Legacy: War though); my favorite miniseries is definitely Jedi vs. Sith. I also really enjoyed the first major arc of Knights of the Old Republic, and of course "The Making of Baron Fel" will always have a very special place in my heart.

The "A Song of Ice and Fire" books are probably my favorite series outside of Star Wars. I also love Matt Stover's Acts of Caine novels, except for the fourth and final one (Caine's Law) which is... I don't really even know what it is. Blade of Tyshalle though is brilliant and definitely my favorite of the bunch. I also really like Lev Grossman's The Magicians and its sequel The Magician King, which I actually like best of the two. The Time Traveler's Wife is also a favorite of mine.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Trip 13. What are your favorite SW video games? If you don't play any SW ones, are there other video games you like?

14. Besides TCW, are there any aspects of SW canon you dislike? If so, what changes would you make?

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    My absolute favorite SW game overall is Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. The original KotOR will always have a special place in my heart as well. Runner ups are Republic Commando, TIE Fighter, and X-wing Alliance (although I haven't played the latter in years). I'm also really fond of Galactic Battlegrounds although more for, like, nostalgic reasons than because I actually liked it that much as a game.

Non-SW games... Half-Life 2, Portal 2, Space Marine, The Walking Dead... and the entire Assassin's Creed series, especially Brotherhood and Revelations.

Oh jeez. This will... probably be a long answer, I think I will have to come back to it tomorrow.

RC-1991 and Todd the Jedi like this.
  21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    **** Yeah, KOTOR II is fantastic.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd love to know where you get the idea that I'm thinking all of that from what was a very simple, 1-line response to your own 1-line post Jello. ALL the post you've quoted was saying was that it'll have to be on a case-by-basis rather than blanket assessment!

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Well, like any fan there's a whole lot that I don't particularly like, but most of the stuff of this type I'm at least okay with. Like, for example I don't really care for, say, the characterization of the big three during the majority of the Bantam era... but I'm cool with bare-bones plots of the books having happened in some capacity, even if in my mind they didn't go down exactly as depicted in the books (and the characters acted differently).

So, interestingly though most of the major things that I don't like at all and would either completely overhaul or remove are things that have come out in the past five or so years. (Which does lead me to wonder if maybe I'm not just being reactionary? Nahhh the last few years really have been awful :p)

So, TCW aside... I'd toss The Old Republic and all related media wholesale into a spinoff universe or something. I'd toss Dawn of the Jedi (because eww Rakata), I'd make the Darth Bane trilogy apocryphal, and I'd explain away The Force Unleashed as some kind of in-universe holodrama.

And then! The big one, but definitely the most important one: I'd jettison wholesale every novel that takes place after the NJO in the timeline. I wouldn't end with TUF though; I actually have a pretty good idea of how stuff would go after the Vong War and how some great stories could be had. (If I do say so myself. :p) For starters, Luke would go into politics, Mara would go into teaching, Han and Leia would get into refugee work (and drift away from the rest of the family), Jacen would turn into Yoda rather than Caedus, Jaina would lead the Jedi Council, and Jag would elope with her only a few years after the end of the war...

And then this one is a bit iffier because I can deal with the existing canon more or less as-is (unlike post-NJO which just didn't happen like that sorry)-- but if I were magically given control of the entire SW franchise I would completely overhaul the entire prequel era, from TPM to RotS, and rework Anakin's story pretty radically while still trying to preserve as many elements as possible of the current canon. Like, Anakin would still have the same backstory but he'd be 12 when discovered by Qui-Gon and after the Tusken massacre he'd go into self-imposed exile for 7 years on Owen's farm, until Obi-Wan comes to fetch him when the Clone Wars (which last around 7 years in this version) begin... also Padmé would have the same backstory but be a completely different character, and Bail would be a central character with screentime roughly equal to Obi-Wan...

Yeah I have a lot of thoughts on how I would overhaul these two eras but, I don't think you were looking for a fanfic synopsis exactly so I'll just leave it there. :p

TheRedBlade and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You're fired.

s65horsey likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Trip 15. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

16. Tell us the history of the Trip with Jacen Solo thread- what prompted you to make it, why did you stop working on it, and are you happy with the direction it ended up going in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.