main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    CooperTFN but eww just look at them they have frog eyes i hate them

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    To the Diversity thread with you!

Trip likes this.
  3. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Telekinesis, hands down. Only power you need. I mean, think about it-- like easily a third of the granular Force "abilities" are just applied TK. Jump, Pull, Push, Choke, Grip, Levitation, Scratch... the possibilities are endless.

Hmmm interesting question. Well, if I remember right the chief reason I wanted to do it was because at the time (right after the release of Invincible) there was a lot of discussion about when exactly Jacen turned into JINO (Jacen In Name Only, for those not around at the time), with some contending that it was at the beginning of Legacy of the Force, some putting it to the beginning of Dark Nest... and a sizable number of people arguing that Jacen had been mischaracterized starting with Vector Prime, which represented a huge break from the Young Jedi Knights version of Jacen and so Jacen's "fall" in LotF didn't matter because he'd been ruined anyway long before. While I agreed that the Jacen we got in Dark Nest on was a totally different character from the Jacen we'd known before, I strenuously disagreed with the assertion that Jacen's character had been ruined by the NJO series. In fact I thought (and still do) that Jacen's character (along with both his siblings) had actually developed remarkably organically from his birth in The Last Command up through The Unifying Force. So, the thread was ultimately conceived to support this notion, and also to illustrate (for those who disagreed) why Jacen's development post-NJO was not done in a way that made any sense at all. Plus, of course, I wanted to (hopefully) be entertaining, and to share my appreciation of what is probably my single favorite (canon) Star Wars character arc.

As to why I stopped... I guess because it's what I do? :p It's no secret to those who knew me here or on Wookieepedia that I have a tendency to start out on ambitious projects and then abandon them only partially done. I'm actually not really sure precisely why... I think some combination of perfectionism and procrastination and, um, a tendency toward excessive amounts of anxiety over what should be pretty mundane things? I dunno. Plus I tend (or tended, I'm getting better maybe!) to slip into depressive episodes now and again when I just couldn't be arsed to do much of anything. So yeah I can't quite recall what specifically got in my way in this particular instance but, prrrrobably some combination of the above. I had an attack of the Trips! I was tripping. I dunno.

My feelings on the direction it went in... well I was super grateful to Havac for taking over since, for one, it meant it actually got finished in some capacity, and for two, it meant I got to read and laugh at his take on each book, which trust me is way more fun than laughing at your own writing. If I remember right (it's been a long time since I last read it, and the board move ate it so I can't check back) his approach was a bit different from what I was planning. I had focused mostly on humor for the first several entries because there wasn't a whole lot of characterization to discuss due to Jacen being an infant or a toddler, and Hav continued the more snarky tone where I think I was planning on getting more analytical and 'serious' later on. But it doesn't bother me at all, the thread was a classic owing entirely to Havac (everyone seems to forget that I wrote only, like, four or five entires-- and those were brief and only about Jacen as a little kid! seriously the thread is pretty much entirely Havac's doing) and his recaps were hilarious. So, yeah overall I'm very happy with how it turned out (though I think I get way too much credit for it, which is to say, any at all :p).

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Trip 17. If you could live anywhere in the GFFA in any time period, where would it be?

18. What are your favorite quotes? (Fictional/said by real people, etc.)

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Trip's a girl who said she wanted telekinesis as her power. The internet will be abuzz... ;)

Also, BTW, I said that Jacen had some falling doctrinal issues as far back as Vector Prime but primarily in Balance Point solely on the basis of those books, not whatsoever on the basis of the gap between YJK and NJO Jacens. Much like I (and others) always maintained Vergere was spouting Sith theology for the most part ("phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space")...

So there!

Trip likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    All I have to say to this is what was the point of Traitor then? Such discussion should of course be taken to an appropriate thread.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is Dawn of the Jedi that good?

8. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Into the Void is!

Mobile sock of s65horsey

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It has some similarity to Legacy, in that I find the world-building to be stronger than the characters, but it's very good, especially given how Volume 2 ends. Not yet read Into The Void.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yes, yes, yes, a hundred times yes. Lucas botched Bail big-time. So big. He should have been a central character in all three movies, and Obi-Wan should have been shown serving under him. He shouldn't have been a blink-and-you'll-miss-him character whose identity you only know if you visit starwars.com. That is, until he randomly showed up at the end of Act III and Lucas was like "Surprise, he's best friends with Obi-Wan! What, did I forget to mention that?" Seriously, I'll bet that millions of fans saw Episode II and didn't assume that Jimmy Smits was anyone more than another background senator. Those same fans probably still weren't sure who he was until he said "I will take the girl" --- Anakin and Obi-Wan both call him Senator Organa earlier in Ep III, but guess what, Lucas? Casual fans don't know Princess Leia's last name!

HWK-290, Trip and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i am not sure what you mean by this??

Also lol tbh I wasn't even thinking about you when I mentioned certain people who said Jacen went off the rails after YJK. So there! :p

Hmm that depends. Am I Force-sensitive? Because in that case I would live on Coruscant, probably like a century or so before the Clone Wars. (Obviously I would be a Jedi, in this scenario.) If I was not Force-sensitive... I think I'd actually still want to grow up on Coruscant but I'd want to be like a tramp freighter captain or something as an adult. You know, see the galaxy and all. And in this case I think I'd want to be born... probably sometime a bit before the Clone Wars.

"Reality doesn't care if you believe it."
    — Boba Fett, "Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett"

"In the story of your life, is this your best ending?"
    — Vergere, Traitor

"And my future? I failed as a Jedi, failed as a Sith... what could I hope to become?"
    man?
    "A man?
    ... A man.
    Why not?"
    — Tomcat, Jedi vs. Sith

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."
    Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

(yes i realize these are all from star wars and that is sad but i am not a very big quote collector ok so these were all i could dredge up on short notice and i don't want to spend too much longer on this question so whatever)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Trip 19. What are some of your favorite foods? Any favorite alcoholic beverages?

20. What would you do if you won the lottery?

13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ummm lobster crab pasta steak pizza fried calamari garlic bread club sandwiches shrimp egg noodles with like butter and parmesan cheese and dill and oregano mixed in barbecue (pulled pork) caesar salad aaaaaand waffles.

and I do not drink alcohol sadly so I have no idea.

Well for starters I would probably try and collect it anonymously and if I couldn't I would try and figure out how to go into hiding or something, because secretly having a ****load of money is rad but being a lottery winner is hella lame. Then... I dunno. Either I'd hide it all away in multiple savings accounts I could draw from or I would invest it? Whichever's safer/more efficient long term. (I do not know much about financial stuff.) The idea though would be that I could draw from it for the rest of my life, hopefully, and not like have to work if I didn't want to. And then... I would go back to school probably (somewhere absurdly expensive like Columbia or whatever because hey why not) so I can finish that while still in my twenties, and then I dunno. I guess I'd figure it out from there. Probably graduate with a degree in something appropriately frivolous (but awesome) like medieval lit and then, spend my thirties aimlessly wandering the world? With money to ease my way? And maybe I would meet some awesome guy in my travels and then we could settle down afterward and be rich somewhere cool and I could be like a professor or an artist or a writer or something. Or all three! And heck maybe I would even have adopted some wayward orphan or something along the way, not like from an agency because that's sketchy but like idk some adorable scamp who helped us out of a sticky situation (involving menacing but ultimately hapless narcotraffickers or something?) and then when we were about to part ways I was like "hey kid... where you off to" and then s/he was like "well I guess nowhere miss, I don't got a home" and then my hypothetical boyfriend and I share a significant look and I go, "well... we were just thinking, we've got a long walk back to our hostel and this bag here is heavy..." and the kid grins slyly as s/he realizes what we mean and so I give him/her the bag (which is not actually heavy of course I was just saying that) to carry and we start walking slowly back toward the hostel as the sun sets behind us, THE END

also i would buy a ps3 so i could play The Last of Us because that game looks so super amazing but I am poor and I do not have any money to buy a ps3 just to play this one game.

Point Given likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Trip 21. What's the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

22. How would you survive in a Zombie Apocalypse?

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There are Craigslist ads that start off this way... :p

ma_petite likes this.
  16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ... dp!!

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

a) You knew exactly what I meant, and

b) Exactly!

;)

PS - Yes, I'm a bad, bad man and yes I'm going to hell...

ma_petite likes this.
  18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oh you :p
    So back when I was in college (the first time) I lived in an apartment with another girl and two guys. The girl (Amy) and one of the guys (Brian) were friends of mine from high school; the second guy we met while at school and doesn't come into this story due to being away at the time. So anyway Brian's best friend Chase had come to spend the weekend and the two of them spent some time earlier that day cleaning Brian's shotgun. While they were doing that they cut open some shotgun shells for some reason and poured the gunpowder and BBs out, and then Chase rolled up some masking tape and tucked it into the now-empty shotgun shell, making a nonlethal round. Or something. So anyway later that night the four of us were drinking (well, they were) in our apartment... and then Chase wondered what it would feel like to get shot by the "tape round" and Brian decided to indulge him. So, while Amy and I watched from the couch Brian proceeded to shoot Chase in the back with a ball of masking tape, from a shotgun. It turned out that the primer gunpowder (or whatever it's called) left in the very bottom of the shell was enough to shoot the wad of tape with enough force to leave Chase writhing around on the ground. Which... I'm ashamed to say was pretty hilarious once we determined that he was more or less okay. Especially when he finally got back up and let Brian shoot him a second time...

So anyway in retrospect it was kind of a phenomenally stupid thing to do (alcohol and firearms! bad combination!) but yeah, I'll never forget poor Chase standing there with his face all squinched up waiting for the shot, and then dropping straight down and rolling around making whale noises like Loki after Brian pulled the trigger. Sadly YouTube had only just recently been invented and smartphones were not yet ubiquitous or else I'd be able to just link y'all to video of the incident, which would definitely be funnier than my retelling. Trust me though, it was pretty great.

I mean realistically, I probably wouldn't.

But ok like, in a fantasy scenario I'd make for Fort Monroe, which is close to where I live and pretty much the perfect place to ride out a zombie epidemic:

[​IMG]

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh boy, I knew it would be great as soon as I saw "shotgun". XD

And that's the end of the interview! Give a hand for Trip. =D= We'll continue in a day or so with GrandAdmiralJello.

In the meantime, the floor is now open for anyone else to ask Trip any questions.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    oh jesus

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now, now, the interview hasn't even started yet. Please save your worship for later.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    23. Why don't you check your PMs once in a while?

Edit: [face_peace]

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Because I am a very busy person but my publisher still refuses to hire a secretary to help sort through all the fan mail I get.

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    24. Who are your favorite characters from A Song of Ice and Fire?

25. What specifically would you change about the post-NJO?

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    26. We all know that Luke is a chair. If you had to describe other major characters as pieces of furniture, what would they be and why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.