main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Allergic to California? Surely you mean southern California, not the far superior regions such as the Central Coast, Bay Area, and other portion of northern California?

DISCLAIMER: In case you didn't guess, I am not from SoCal. :p

--Adm. Nick

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nick, I'm allergic to you for different reasons.

Gamiel -

These guys. But that probably doesn't help you much.

I could cheat and say the Je'Daii, but more Aing-Tii would be cool.

Danzo -

Lando, to both questions. He languished in the Bantam Era, then finally got something cool going in the NJO and started a family and everything, and now he's suddenly back to square one.

Edit: addendum to my video game answer earlier: Splinter Cell: Blacklist has no Michael Ironside and is therefore an abomination and should be destroyed.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's now time for our second interviewee, longtime Ackbar enthusiast and my fellow mod/manager, AdmiralNick22!

AdmiralNick22

1. Time for the username question! Why did you choose it? Has it always been your username, or did you go by a different one in the past?

2. When did you first fall in love with Admiral Gial Ackbar?

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Color me very curious about number two :)

5. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    You can but please wait after I finish with the 20 questions. I was going to ask something similar later in the interview.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Sure, my apologies, I'll edit the question out.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Nepotism!!! [face_not_talking]

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Says the guy who went first :p

Pah. Bzzt, wrong! Forever rivals, we are. :p

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Nepotism? How dare you, sir--I bribed him. [face_shhh]

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am honored to be one of your interviewees, Point Given. Thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to sharing a bit about myself and my interests. [:D]

1. Time for the username question! Why did you choose it? Has it always been your username, or did you go by a different one in the past?

I have used AdmiralNick22 since my first days on AOL IM way back when. It was my very first name and it is one that I have used exclusively on these boards for the entirety of my 10+ years here. As you all know by now, my real name is in fact Nicholas, hence why I go by Nick for short. The 22nd of April is my birthday, so I have always been fond on that particular number. I suppose I could of been AdmiralNick422, but simply having "22" just looked cleaner and less cumbersome. As for the admiral bit, I have been a fan/student/lover of naval history, warfare, and ships since I was a little fish. My original interest came from WWII US Navy stuff related to the Pacific campaign, but overtime this grew into a love of naval stuff in general. I think, in a lot of ways, it was my love of naval history that caused sci-fi/space opera stuff like Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and other franchises to appeal to me so much.

2. When did you first fall in love with Admiral Gial Ackbar?

Gosh, I have been an Ackbar fan for literally as long as I can remember. I have always been a interested in great military leaders & statesmen, so in a general sense I have always liked characters in the upper echelons of a military, government, society, etc. I think I first watched the OT on VHS when I was 7 or 8 years old. Ackbar was this cool military leader, a neat alien, and for whatever reason I latched on to him! My love of Star Wars grew alongside my love of real life naval history, US history, Western Civ history, and military history, so as I was learning about real world events I was also expanding my knowledge & interest in the early years of the Expanded Universe. Even as a young kid, it isn't hard to then see parallels between factual events/peoples/places and fictional ones. My first forays into the EU where the fabulous WEG Rebel Alliance Sourcebook and my thumb worn & beloved paperback copies from 1991-1992 of the Thrawn Trilogy, as well as the New Republic Sourcebook from WEG. In all of these books, it is clear that Ackbar is the man in charge of the Rebel military and a beloved and respected leader. These early books, in conjunction with my viewing of the OT on VHS, laid the foundation for my well known affinity for all things Ackbar.

GrandAdmiralJello

When I posted the line about SoCal, I totally knew you were going to hate that. Once again, we are on opposite sides of an issue, old friend. :p

--Adm. Nick

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    3. You're also a noted Anglophile. Was it a natural offshoot of your love for naval history? What aspects of British history are you most into?

4. Are you a Playstation, Xbox or PC gamer? (If at all)

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wii don't get no respect I tell ya. [face_not_talking]

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Except your naval history, Star Wars, and Ackbar answers mostly parallel my own :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    3. You're also a noted Anglophile. Was it a natural offshoot of your love for naval history? What aspects of British history are you most into?

Indeed I am! The reasons for my love of British history are varied. On one hand, as an American our history is intertwined with British history on multiple occasions, to say nothing of the fact that we were in fact founded as British colonies. So, the history major in me realizes that a full understanding of American history requires a deep understanding of British history. I think my earliest interest in British history comes from my love of WWII studies & naval history. America and Britain, as we all know, were the core of the Western Allies. The relationship between Roosevelt & Churchill is one that is so very interesting to study, as is the enduring Special Relationship between the US & UK. My love of naval history is key, as Britannia ruled the waves for centuries and great leaders like Nelson are brilliant examples of naval masters. Putting aside politics and history for a moment, I love British humour, adore shows from across the Pond, and love many of the wonderful beverages distilled or brewed there. Give me a cold (sorry British friends, the American in me still needs cold beer) Newcastle or Hobgoblin, or a fine single malt scotch any day. I am also an avid listener of the BBC World Service.

4. Are you a Playstation, Xbox or PC gamer? (If at all)

They days of me being an regular gamer are a decade gone, but in general I loved PC games. I do have a XBOX 360, which thanks to Oblivion & Skyrim I have lost many hours on, but PC games are the best. In fact, I love older PC games. I am still know to fire up a game of Rebellion, Heroes III: Of Might & Magic, or Birth of the Federation. Of course, back in the day, I played sooooo much X-wing vs. TIE Fighter, Balance of Power, and X-wing: Alliance that it is no wonder I became a Fleet Junkie. :p

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Nice. If you're ever into English medieval history check out Plantagenets by Dan Jones. Reading it now and it's great.

5. I gather you're from Central California Have you lived there all your live? What's it like living there?

6. What do you do for a living?

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    5. I gather you're from Central California Have you lived there all your live? What's it like living there?

I am indeed a native Californian from who has lived in the state his whole life. I love living here. The costal regions of central & northern California are simply the best. I love living in an area where I am less than five miles from the beach, an hour or so from San Francisco, and five hours from Lake Tahoe. Plus the Santa Cruz Mountains flank our area of the Central Coast, which provides us with great state parks, hiking trails, fishing, hunting, and wine tasting. Take that, SoCal. [face_tee_hee]

6. What do you do for a living?

I work at a company that imports frozen fruits & vegetables from all over the world. I have worked there for about eight years, doing a bit of sales & account management. I was recently promoted to be the manager of our sales services department. With great power, comes extra responsibility and less sleep. :p

--Adm. Nick

ma_petite likes this.
  17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    7. What were your thoughts when Disney announced the purchase of Lucasfilm? Have they changed since then?

8. What's your opinion of the new Legacy comics?

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's see --- Disneyland, San Diego (Sea World + the incredible San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park), better beaches than you, Hollywood + Universal Studios, Los Angeles and its theatres, music halls, and opera houses (the LA Opera has Placido Domingo and you don't!), the Getty Museum and the Getty Villa, mountains, off-roading, all that stuff.

You may have bigger mountains and better state / national parks, but we have culture. :p

edit: Also we don't say "hella" because we're not a bunch of dorks :p

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You live in urban sprawl that is overpopulated. You basically live on Coruscant. Which I am sure you love. [face_batting]

But I digress. I will get to my next set of questions after lunch!

--Adm. Nick

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, there's a reason I'm enjoying it out east! :p

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    7. What were your thoughts when Disney announced the purchase of Lucasfilm? Have they changed since then?

My initial thoughts, just to give everyone an exact representation, I have relisted below from the Disney Wars thread:

My thoughts haven't changed since. I am excited for the Sequel Trilogy and I think that many EU fans who are currently unhappy will be plesantly suprised.

8. What's your opinion of the new Legacy comics?

I am happy with the new series. The initial issue had the right vibe, established that there was a new government, and showed some old favorites like Marasiah Fel and Gar Stazi. I really like Ania Solo and her Mon Cal buddy Sauk, plus the overall artistic style is great. I do think that the series is off to a bit of a slow start, however. My fear is that if it is too much of a small scale story that it will not capture the attention of enough fans to continue. Legacy Vol. 1 opened in such a spectacular fashion- a new Sith Empire, a defeated Galactic Alliance, the Jedi Academy under siege, the death of a Skywalker- all of this made the series open with a literal bang.

So in short, I think that the series is good, the writing solid, and the art enjoyable. All we need now is a larger scale story and some additional side plots to flesh out the era a bit more.

--Adm. Nick

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Translation: he was moved to such uncharacteristically fowl language as "freaking".

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Coop, in real life I swear like a sailor. It wouldn't be very Modly of me to enforce rules while dropping F-bombs and other swear words. :p

--Adm. Nick

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Appropriate for a rebel admiral, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.