main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    17. What are your hopes for the sequel trilogy? What do you think about the selection of J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt for director and screenwriter?

Starting with your latter question, I have faith that both J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt will do a fantastic job. The fact that George Lucas is out of the picture is a good thing, actually probably the best thing. It will give the Sequel Trilogy the best chance of being the "epic" of a new generation, without any of the taint from the Prequel Trilogy.

As for my hopes & dreams for the Sequel Trilogy, I would say that I am eager to see the following elements in it:
    • A restored Republic that is governing the galaxy justly. This isn't Del Rey's cynical view- this is the view that we have all long held that when the Rebels defeated the Empire that the Republic was restored and freedom was brought back to the galaxy.
    • A new Jedi Order. This is obviously going to appear, but I sincerely hope that it isn't a rehash of the Prequel Jedi. This Jedi Order has to truly be a new organization. I don't mind a Council of some sorts, but I want to see how this order is Luke's order.
    • A primary cast of the "next generation", with older charactering in secondary or tertiary roles. And I would love to see some supporting characters in new roles. I want Wedge Antilles being the head of the Republic Fleet. I want to see Lando in politics. I want to see Ackbar as a retired officer advising the new government.
    • New ships & fighters that are logical progressions of the OT designs. Just as the PT designs were made to show the precursor to the OT designs, I want the ST designs to harken back to the OT. A wicked cool sucessor to the X-wing. Capital ships that are inspired by the Rebel Blockade Runner, Mon Cal cruisers, and Star Destroyers, but still entirely new designs. And, I might add, several of these already exist in the EU can can be used. Which brings me to my last hope.
    • Mine the EU for ideas. In my mind, the EU should serve as a wellspring of ideas for the new Trilogy. There are so many fantastic characters, worlds, ships, and locations that can and should be used. Even some plot elements. If the EU has set the tone & feel of the ST in a meaningful way, I think we can all look back and say the EU was worth it.
    18. If you could re-do canon post NJO, what choices would you make, if any?

Oh gosh, where to begin. I could rant for pages about how I would change things, but I will keep it short. Basically, I would heavily modify LOTF and jettison FOTJ. For LOTF, I would keep elements of the GA-Confederation War (as it did open some interesting ideas about how the galaxy is governed and what powers the federal galactic government has compared to local governments), but I certainly wouldn't of had Jacen become the monster he became. The war would of been more localized and it would of been painted in a way where both sides have legitimate greivances, but someone behind the scences (early signs of the One Sith) manipulating events to stoke a war.

Since I am such a fan of Legacy, I would of also actively laid the seeds for the state of events that we saw in 127 ABY before the Sith-Imperial War. Relations between the GA & Empire would of gradually become friendly, the Jedi's relationship with the GA would of improved, etc. As for my own original idea for a conflict during the antebellum years of 29 ABY - 127 ABY, besides a lower scale GA-Confed war, I would of also had a border war with the Hutts over slavery (with was kinda setup in FOTJ, only to be ignored) and a full scale Chiss-Imperial War. My general concept would of been that the early Fel Empire started actively colonizing the sectors of the Unknown Regions adjacent to Remnant Space, which was viewed with alarm by the Chiss. A few skirmishes would boil over into a regional war, one which the Jedi & GA were placed into a delicate situation given their relations with both entities. Following the resolution of this conflict, I would of toched on exactly what the Treaty of Anaxes was, which would then set the stage for several decades of peace prior to the start of Legacy.

As I said, I could go on for pages, but I will stop here. :-B:p

--Adm. Nick

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    19. How does it feel to be a moderator after 10 years on the forums?

And for our final question, the most important of all...

20. What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    *coughwouldhavecough*

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He's been doing that for years :p

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not now that he's writing for me, he isn't.

Edit: oh, wait, that was still a secret. [face_shhh]

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    19. How does it feel to be a moderator after 10 years on the forums?

I am still wrapping my head around the idea that I have been a member for 10 years. :p Seriously though, it is an honor and I couldn't be more pleased with my fellow Mods and the many posters I have befriended over the last decade. All in all, I am one happy fish. Now, if just could figure out what all these fancy new buttons they gave me access to do... [face_mischief]

20. What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

While I love wine, I would probably say whisk(e)y. My current go to is Bulleit Rye Whiskey. Rye whiskey was popular prior to the Prohibition, but has suddenly made a big comeback in the US. I also enjoy good Scotch, preferably single malt. Plain ole' Crown Royal is also a good staple.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer some questions, Point Given. It was an honor and a lot of fun. You did a fantastic job with your questions and it shows that you did your research! ^:)^

--Adm. Nick

ma_petite likes this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    How does one like their own post?

8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    And that's the end of the interview! The floor is now open for anyone to ask Nick questions. In a day or so we'll continue with s65horsey!

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    21. Given your reverence for the founders, I'm curious--are you a religious man? How do you feel about the relationship the US has had with Christianity over the years?

22. On a more serious note, how inexcusable was PG's oversight in asking you about Nict, but not asking me about Cooper's? Will the mods be demanding his immediate resignation, or will self-flagellation suffice?

s65horsey likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I need to try Bulleit's rye sometime. I really like their bourbon.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

[​IMG]

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    23. I'm pretty sure you're one of the Fleet Junkies, so do you have a favorite ship design? If not, what would you change about one of their designs that would make it the ideal ship for you? If I'm completely wrong about the Fleet Junkies thing please respond with your favorite image from Star Wars.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    24. Have you ever pictured Ackbar commanding a fleet of Whaladons? Perhaps riding a Whaladon into a naval battle?

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Both CW battles of Mon Calamari: I am now disappointed. Giant eels, giant medusas... But no Whaladons? What were you not smoking?

25. You are summoned to a SKYHOUSEwarming party. What would make it a great party for you? Music, games, drinks, endless tactic discussions?

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    A skyhouse is its own great party.

16. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    26. Shouldn't Ackbar's first name have been "General" instead of "Gial." After all, wasn't that established in the Jedi Academy Training Manual?

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    21. Given your reverence for the founders, I'm curious--are you a religious man? How do you feel about the relationship the US has had with Christianity over the years?

Yeah, I consider myself a religious person. Not a regular churchgoer by any stretch, but I was raised Catholic and faith is important to me. Important, but not something that I necessarily wear on my sleeve. I am not the sort to go around sharing my beliefs with others. Actions speak louder than words.

The Founders were a mixed bunch in regards to religion. Some where Christians, some Deists, some agnostics, others just had a belief in a Supreme Being. Faith was important to many of our Founders. Divine Providence is regularly mentioned in the letters of Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and others. The writings of the Founders on matters of faith, separation of church & state, and other religious topics are very interesting. In reading them, we see that there is no clear cut "America is a Christian Nation" or "American isn't a Christian Nation".

22. On a more serious note, how inexcusable was PG's oversight in asking you about Nict, but not asking me about Cooper's? Will the mods be demanding his immediate resignation, or will self-flagellation suffice?

Well, in his defense, the Cooper's reference is a but more subtle. :p Where it in my powers, Coop, I would totally name a character after you. Who knows, maybe Tycho & Winter had a kid?

Cooper Ackbar Celchu does have a nice ring to it... [face_thinking]

23. I'm pretty sure you're one of the Fleet Junkies, so do you have a favorite ship design? If not, what would you change about one of their designs that would make it the ideal ship for you? If I'm completely wrong about the Fleet Junkies thing please respond with your favorite image from Star Wars.

You mean my signature stating "Fleet Junkie Founding Father" isn't 100% confirmation of my status? [face_tee_hee] I was actually surprised the Fleet Junkie bit wasn't brought up directly in the interview, as there are some interesting stories there about how we got started and such. The term has gone mainstream, plus many of my fellow original Fleet Junkies no longer post here. As for my favorite ship design, I would have to say that I love the MC80B series Star Cruiser. Much more streamlined than earlier Mon Cal cruisers, the spade shape makes it essentially the Rebel answer to the ISD's wedge shape, in that it allow for a large field of fire. In terms of starfighter designs, I really am an X-wing fan. Classic, deadly, and still awesome. However, I love the E-wing as well.

Oh, here is my favorite angle of the MC80B cruiser:

[​IMG]

24. Have you ever pictured Ackbar commanding a fleet of Whaladons? Perhaps riding a Whaladon into a naval battle?

No I have not, until now. AND IT IS AMAZING AND AWESOME. I imagine he would wear something like this:
    [​IMG]

25. You are summoned to a SKYHOUSEwarming party. What would make it a great party for you? Music, games, drinks, endless tactic discussions?

I would sit there drinking whiskey, discussing naval tactics. And if Ackbar was talking, I would totally listen to him. Screw that little snot nosed bastard Ken. The whole reason he never appears again is because he made a poor life decision in ignoring Ackbar. :D

26. Shouldn't Ackbar's first name have been "General" instead of "Gial." After all, wasn't that established in the Jedi Academy Training Manual?

I wish he was named some SW variation of Nick. I believe my buddy ThrawnMcEwok joked to me that he considered this briefly during the manuscript phase of the EGTW, but alas it was not to be so. :_|

--Adm. Nick

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Shows how much I pay attention to sigs.... :oops:

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I already have a character named after me--the guy who owns the bar. :p I just need a series of novels about him (and Nict's great-grandfather, I suppose) having adventures.

Dude, if Ackbar had been named after you you would officially have won Tuckerization for all time.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alternatively, he could change his name to "Admiral Atrap" and claim that it was he who Ackbar was turning to in surprise when he saw the Imperial fleet.

"It's Atrap! What do you think we should make of this sudden development, old friend?"

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I now demand to see artwork featuring Ackbar, dressed as he is in that picture, riding a Whaladon and holding a sword to the sky, as the fleet of Whaladons under his command ruthlessly rain death upon his enemies.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You of course mean a Trident. :p

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I like it. Nict's ancestor, who presumably was on a layover on Nar Shaddaa, stops into Cooper's and grabs a drink and a nerf steak. That, or we make Cooper's a bar like Cheers. It could be a place where Nict goes because, sometimes you gotta go where everybody knows your name. [face_whistling][face_batting]

God, if I was an author, I would be such a Tuckerizer. My first book alone would feature characters based on friends, family, and co-workers. If is was a Star Wars book, lets just say that my Galactic Senate would be populated by many of my colorful friends here on TF.N. :D

I like where this is going. I am ok with becoming the character that mentored Ackbar during his early years and inspired him to naval service. [face_party]

Other than using @Gorefiend's suggestion about the trident, I wholeheartedly approve this message. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Except it's Nar Shaddaa, so they know your name because they've been going through your garbage.

25. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Nick, do you have any American Civil War volumes you enjoy given your admiration of Lincoln?

Go ahead and add me to the list of people interested in interviews. I'm sure I can entertain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.