main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Basically I'd just do the opposite of everything they did. I haven't read through all the previous interviews but I'm sure I don't have anything new to say on this. First: no more mega-series and galactic-scale storylines right after the NJO. How about we let everyone catch their breath for a while? Remember how Bantam just did trilogies and standalones for like ten years? Maybe try that out, just for a little bit. Instead of completely ignoring everything that happened in the NJO, maybe they can build off it or something. Aren't the Bothans still trying to kill all the Yuuzhan Vong? Maybe that could be a thing, who knows! Also Coruscant is ruined, so let's not have the galactic capital be there for a while. And I seem to recall Luke being like crippled or something in his fight with Shimrra, so I guess we can't have him still zipping around doing everything important all the time!

Really I could go on and on with all these setups that shouldn't have been disregarded, but the main thing is go with what you have at the end of the NJO; don't try to reset it. Also don't put Troy Denning in charge. And when Matt Stover says he wants to write the last Big 3 novel, LET HIM.

I liked Bounty Hunter a lot but I was never able to replay it because I'm so bad at shooting games. Good story, though. And of course KOTOR and TSL will always be my favorite games ever. Um, outside of Star Wars games... I've played the first Mass Effect game and it was pretty good, but, eh, that universe never really took off for me. Portal and Portal 2 are both great, that kind of game is more my speed than most shooters. Although recently I was talked into playing Bioshock Infinite and it absolutely blew me away on every level. For the most part though I don't really play a lot of video games.

Trip, Ulicus , Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, Bioshock Infinite was a pretty great game. Elizabeth was one of the best companion characters in recent memory. And those plot twists! [face_hypnotized]

_Catherine_ 15. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

16. What person involved in SW would you want to meet most, dead or alive, and why? (ie actor, writer, director, artist, etc.)

_Catherine_ likes this.
  3. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Telekinesis, always. It has the most numerous and most useful applications.

I'd probably be too nervous to meet anyone because it would ruin my idea of them based on their writing or I would throw up on them or something, but if I had to pick someone it would probably be circa-1997/'98 George Lucas. I'd hand him a VHS copy of RedLetterMedia's Phantom Menace review, look him him the eyes and say "Don't," then disappear back into the night.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    _Catherine_ 17. From the very beginning SW broke the mold on the role women would play in a story, and TCW kept that spirit alive. What are your thoughts on the representation of women in SW, and in "nerd culture" in general, and how that has evolved over the years?

18. What world issues matter most to you?

5. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    There are only two strong female characters in the Star Wars films: Leia and Cindel Towani. People will try to excuse Padmé's abject failure as a character in Episode III by pointing out that she shot some people in the first two prequels, and that's true, but she shot people while having the personality of a block of wood, so she doesn't meet the criteria. But there was so much wrong with the prequels that a lack of interesting female characters wouldn't make my first, second, or third complaint. But speaking just of the OT, yeah, Leia's great, no real complaints about how she was used in those films. And I didn't watch TCW so I can't comment but is Ahsoka really a feminist icon?

The EU actually has its fair share of pretty great female characters, but for the most part they're all either one-offs or supporting characters. Like major recurring character-wise the only ones I can think of are Mara Jade and Jaina. Mara was never a terribly interesting character to me. She was a good concept but always fell flat in execution. Idk why/how I was supposed to buy that she was the personal agent of the Emperor but never really seemed to do anything that bad or feel bad about it. That's why Shira Brie was always my favorite redheaded ex-Emperor's Hand with a grudge against Luke Skywalker; she knew what she was doing was evil and she didn't care. Plus her romantic history with Luke made her vendetta against him that much more interesting. Luke cost her much more than he cost Mara, but unlike Mara, she didn't go all to pieces over it; she grabbed a fleet, started a war, and did something about it. That's why the white-washing of her motives in LOTF pissed me off so much. Instead of adding a little more complexity to the character in the Marvel comics, they just completely rewrote it, and it's a shame. Uh but to actually answer the question, it would be cool to see more recurring female characters added to the central cast, not just confined to limited series (Sword of the Jedi-Release IT!). Also the way Bastila was written in Revan was unconscionable, so no more of that plz.

As for "nerd culture" as a whole, I try to ignore it for the most part but whenever I'm exposed to it I usually walk away thinking it's kind of terrible. As objectionable as certain aspects of that subculture can be, though, what's more annoying to me is the major content producers who continue to pander to that demographic.

[​IMG]

Hey why don't you try something new!

I don't think I really have any weird fringe issues I support; mostly I lean pretty liberal on politics, but both parties are generally stupid, incompetent, and amoral. Like why are we still hung up on things like marriage equality and marijuana? What century is this? It's embarrassing.

I guess the issue I personally feel deserves more attention is animal rights and conservation. Stories like this (the circumstance, not the outcome) are just sickening to me, and I am really, really tired of people killing endangered animals so they can grind up their bones to cure their erectile dysfunction or whatever archaic nonsense reason they have.

Basically I'm against killing things in most circumstances. Like, just stop it, people, seriously.

Trip, krtmd, Ulicus and 9 others like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    _Catherine_ 19. What would you do if you won the lottery?

20. If time travel were possible, what is the one period of time/year/specific event you would want to travel to most?

21. What's the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would QFT her answer to #17 but quoting a long block of text is obnoxious, so uh... QFT in spirit. :p

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_rofl] So funny and accurate!

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Catherine this has been a blast, great answers.

Ulicus and _Catherine_ like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Bump, _Catherine_.

11. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Ha, thanks, I'm glad you've been entertained by my unexciting stock answers. :p

Pay off my student loans, then try to win the lottery again to pay off my other student loans.

Besides telling my younger self not to spend so much money on Star Wars books, I'm not sure. I am more interested in history than not but there isn't one specific time period I am like fascinated with. I guess it would be cool to Instagram the Giza pyramids when they were brand new and hadn't had that outer layer of white stones stripped off yet. Um but to answer the question I'll just say that I'd go back to the Ice Age and see a woolly mammoth, because they're adorable.

Most of my funny stories are only funny in context (I know because of the blank stares I get when telling them irl). For the sake of answering the question, I was visiting some friends at their apartment a few years ago. This was the first place they'd ever had on their own and they'd just moved in like the week before, so I guess they were kind of uptight about keeping the place ridiculously clean and taking every precaution to protect their security deposit. I think the landlord came in like three times while I was there to inspect problems with the windows and bathroom that they'd reported. Well we were watching a movie or something and they didn't have a couch so we were all lined up on these junky plastic chairs in front of the TV. I kept rocking back in my chair and eventually went too far back and the chair slipped out from under me, tipping me over backwards and sending my head through the wall behind us. Like literally through the wall. So I'm lying there on the floor with my ears ringing, stunned, covered in plaster dust, my head still partially inside their wall, and my friends are like hopping up and down freaking out, not because I'm possibly concussed or brain damaged but because they think I just cost them their security deposit. But they ended up just bending the broken fiberboard back into place and painting over it and I guess no one ever noticed so it was fine. The end.

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    And that's the end of the interview! Give a round of applause for Catherine. =D= In a day or so we'll continue with TOD-UK

In the meantime, the floor is now open for anyone else to ask Cathy any questions.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Well that was epic.[face_laugh]

How come so many of you have funny stories that involve "this time I nearly died"...?:p

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Chewbacca falls on a moon... I like it!

15. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    The NJO would have been much better received if he'd escaped from Sernpidal unharmed, then just slipped on some stairs on Yavin IV and broken his neck.

16. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What if he got worfed like the Noghri guy did. I don't think people would have accepted any manner of death for Chewie.

I'm surprised they didn't destroy the Falcon.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They could've had him die in a fatal dejarik mishap.

18. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Someone should have pulled his arms out of their sockets, it's been set up since 1977.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Chewbacca piloting the Falcon on a kamikaze run would have been a double gut punch and sent Han Solo into an unrecoverable downward spiral of binge drinking that would culminate in him winning an entire sector in Sabacc only to learn it's occupied by the Yuuzhan Vong.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who do you consider Star Wars best dressed character?

21. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I noticed you mentioned Less than Zero in your book answer. Have you read Imperial Bedrooms and the rest of the Ellis canon, or did you just enjoy the one book?

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Catherine, I have just discovered today the most important question I could possibly ask you: have you read the comic adaptation of The Force Unleashed II?

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, drat. Now if Chewbacca isn't the one to take out the revived Darth Plagueis in this fashion in Episode IX, I will be bitterly disappointed.

Oh, moon. Right. Sorry.

tjace likes this.
  24. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Lando. I like a few of Padmé's outfits but generally they're too overblown and ostentatious, like over-the-top costume design in a cheesy science fiction movie or something. Generally my love of Star Wars is separate from my love of Project Runway though.

I've also read American Psycho and The Informers. AP has the most literary merit but LTZ is my favorite personally. The Informers didn't do much for me.

Not cover to cover but I skimmed through it at the bookstore and tore out all the pages Boba Fett appeared on. Then they made me pay for the book and asked me to leave.

GrandMasterKatarn and Havac like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is your favorite non-human species?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.