main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Roast beef.
    Komodo dragon.
    My cat purring when she's in a cuddling mood.
    Auto-tuned pop music.
    Shaq.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cynical_Ben What is your favorite school subject?

Favorite TV show genre?

Favorite word?

Least favorite smell?

Favorite place to read?

3. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    History, closely followed by English.
    Is cartoon a genre? :p Probably action/adventure, whatever Batman: TAS is.
    Supercalifragelisticexpialedoscious, even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious, and if you say it loud enough you always sound precocious.
    Rotten fish or pork.
    My room.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cynical_Ben 20. What world issues matter most to you?

21. What would you do if you won the lottery?

5. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Urg, tough question. Racism, slavery, domestic violence, which can of worms would you like me to open? I try to stay out of big political debates and avoid hot-button issues simply because I find activism and debate useless gestures on my behalf. I'm never going to convince anyone of anything no matter what my position is. I keep my opinions to myself most of the time. The things I listed and others like them, obvious evils, are probably where you'll get me to take a more public stance.
    I would probably pay for trips for my family to visit their dream travel destinations, places like Africa and Ireland. Whatever I'd have leftover I would probably invest somehow, or self-publish some books. I have very modest goals. ;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Cynical_Ben 22. Say Disney makes a film based on X-Wing. What actors would be your ideal choice to play Wedge*, Tycho, Corran, etc.?

23. What's the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

*Excluding Denis Lawson

7. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Erg, I don't know. I don't know modern actors very well, especially not in the age range needed to play Rogue Squadron. Um... Jennifer Lawrence as Mirax, the guy who plays Ollie in Arrow as Tycho, Christian Bale as Kirtan Loor, Helen Mirin as Ysanne Isard, Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Gavin Darklighter, Bryan Cranston as General Salm, um... who looks like a young Tom Cruise and could play Corran? Maybe Liam Hemsworth? For Wedge, I have absolutely no idea. Tom Hiddleston? Maybe?
    The one time that comes immediately to mind was when a co-worker, who's deathly afraid of spiders, opened a clipboard and found where I and another coworker had hidden a six-inch rubber spider specifically so he'd find it. The freakout was, needless to say, amazing, and I wish I'd managed to catch it on video.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I'm trying to imagine Hiddleston's reaction to Wes and Hobbie's antics on Adumar....[face_tee_hee]

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    And that's the end of the interview! Give a round of applause for Cynical Ben. =D=

We'll be back with a new interview soon, but right now the floor is now open for anyone else to ask Ben any questions.

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Alright, it's time for our next subject, DigitalMessiah! [face_party]

1. Tell us about your username, why you chose it, what it means, etc. And what is the best way to address you?

2. What made you sign up for the Jedi Council Forums? Do you post on any other forums?

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I made it back when the Matrix was cool. I suppose I was trying to think of a unique name. I've thought about changing it, and it seems most people call me DM and I don't mind that.

As I recall, I was a lurker during the NJO, unless I had some earlier name I which can't remember, and I don't remember why I ultimately decided to sign up. Back then I posted at the Star Wars Galaxies forum as well, but internet forums seem to be less popular now than they were a decade ago due to social media and the like, and I don't post at any others now. I did post at the Old Republic forums before that game launched too.

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 3. Tell us how you become a Star Wars fan, and SW lit in particular.

4. Where are you from? What are some of the best parts about where you live?

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

I first saw Star Wars with the 1990 VHS release. I don't remember what order I saw the films in except that I saw the original film last, but I suspect I saw them in reverse order. I remember the first time I saw Star Wars at a friend's house and it was after seeing Empire and Jedi, and at the time I thought it was lame compared to those two since Luke doesn't have his Jedi training. I also remember thinking when I first saw Empire that when Dak tells Luke he feels like he can fight the whole empire himself that Luke would know since he faced down Vader and the Emperor, which is why I think that I saw Jedi first.

My cousin got me into the Expanded Universe, as I remember seeing Heir to the Empire on his bookshelf, and he was a big Boba Fett fan and as I recall he actually wrote a pre-internet fan fiction with Boba Fett, Jodo Kast, and the other bounty hunters, which is pretty amusing in retrospect. I think I got started with the EU sometime in late 1992, first with the Glove of Darth Vader and its sequels and then moving onto the novels like Heir to the Empire, as well as the comics books (specifically Dark Empire). The SW novels were probably the first real novels that I read. My way of viewing the EU has always been that it's the continuation of the OT storyline and that's always been my primary interest, to see where Luke, Han, and Leia went after Return of the Jedi.

I'm from just outside of San Diego, CA. I suppose the best part would be the weather since I've been hearing about how terrible the winter has been and I have absolutely no frame of reference.

14. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    As a Michigan kid transplanted to the SF Bay Area even I still complain about the weather...even when I know how bad the midwest gets, but this year in California has been WEIRD, especially in the SF area with all the microclimates.

That said, I try not to complain TOO loudly, since my friends back home set me a picture of snow up to the bottom of a STOP sign and the reason I moved here from Michigan (besides having a cosplaying friend willing to share an apartment) was to get away from the cold.

Since my roommate was from San Diego, the second it got below 68 degrees she was bundled up like she it was freezing, but now I'm just as bad...it hits anything below 60 and I'm breaking out the sweaters.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 5. What other franchises do you like besides SW and which are you most passionate about?

6. What are your favorite non-SW TV shows/movies?

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

HA! I knew it! Fellow Matrix fan FTW!

I will henceforth imagine you as this when you're posting.

[​IMG]

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I love the Matrix. :cool:

...except that fight scene. I hereby find myself forced to dispute your fellow fanship, Barriss_Coffee when a true Matrix fan would have picked from one of the good fights. :p
    I find myself intrigued by this line... [face_thinking]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I'll take the above fight over the final fight in Revolutions any day. ;)

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I like a lot of stuff and I'll probably forget to name everything, but pretty much all the science fiction film franchises from the 1980s, like Terminator, Predator, Alien, etc., although Alien is the only one which I've followed the Dark Horse EU. Ghostbusters is generally what I consider to be my favorite movie (or Blade Runner), and I've actually got the one Ghostbusters EU book but I haven't read it.
    [​IMG]
    I've occasionally read their ongoing comic series by IDW.

There's a lot of game franchises that I like, Deus Ex, Metal Gear, Biohazard/Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Elder Scrolls. I used to follow Gears of War and Halo. I'm a fan of Robert E. Howard's Hyborean Age, and Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos as well. I like the cyberpunk genre/aesthetic, so William Gibson's writings. I never played Shadowrun until I got the new PC game and it seems pretty much a fantasy injected take on Gibson's Sprawl universe so it's pretty neat. White Wolf's World of Darkness is interesting to me as well but I've never played it apart from the PC game.

Plus the Matrix, which I have always been pretty big on. I was hoping for a Zahn penned sequel novel in 2011 to revive interest.

Right now I am probably most passionate about Elder Scrolls because that's the flavor of the month with the imminent MMORPG release.

Ghostbusters and Blade Runner are two of my favorite movies, along with Aliens. Also I really love the movie Hackers. The X-Files was my favorite TV show and it's still watchable for me, unlike Lost, which I was rather heavily into but the ending just sapped my interest. I watched BSG but that was sort of a similar situation and I couldn't muster the interest to watch the spin-offs. I watched Fringe from start to finish but the show kind of jumped the shark for me with the season 3 finale which was a poorly thought out reset of sorts. Almost Human is interesting with its cyberpunk setting but the show isn't that good. I guess it can develop into a good show but I think it's going to get cancelled first. I like Karl Urban and Michael Ealy on it. And speaking of Michael Ealy, I really like Sleeper Cell. I was a big Simpsons fan for the first six or seven seasons but it's kind of sad to watch the show now, or to watch an early episode back to back with a contemporary one. I like Futurama and was sad that it got cancelled again. I liked Twin Peaks back when I was into David Lynch's work but that was like a decade ago and I haven't watched it since then.

Edit: My personal favorite fight is the chateau fight with Furious Angels as the soundtrack.

Actually I'm wrong, Furious Angels is when he fights the Agents at the start of the film. The track is called "Chateau" for that scene.

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 7. Is there any Star Wars era that you prefer? (Old Republic, Clone Wars, NJO, etc) Are there any that you could do without?

8. What are your favorite SW video games? What are your thoughts on the future of SW games under EA?

21. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So, 1999?
    :p

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  24. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    And Keanu has hardly aged......

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In terms of era absent story, I think the New Republic era is my favorite, due to both nostalgia and the general upbeat tone to it, an underlying sense of optimism. I think the optimism of the New Republic era contrasted with the relative darkness of the NJO and made the NJO seem darker than it was. The New Republic era was defined by Han, Leia, and Luke -- it was the fruit of their labor. Stover said it pretty well in a podcast interview done by Stackpole for Mindor:

"My books are really usually about people undergoing excruciatingly bad experiences and somehow through force of character or divine grace managing to survive, and that sort of take on reality just is not in line with the spirit of the original Star Wars trilogy. I mean, it fit right in for Revenge of the Sith, for the end of the prequels, because that's really what that was about, but to sort of continue the story of Luke, Han, and Leia beyond Return of the Jedi I really needed to find a way to just write something that was -- that had a lighter touch, that had a little bit more optimism. One of the things that I think defines the original trilogy of Star Wars is that incredibly painful things happen to these people, just terrible situations they're put in... tortured, kidnapped, frozen, enslaved by a giant slug, Luke has his only family that he's ever known murdered in front of him and the only other family he's ever known gets killed on the Death Star in the first movie... The point is that these are the kind of emotionally scarring things that really drive most of the books that I write, but in the original trilogy all these characters... have this unquenchable optimism, this feeling that as long as they stay on their toes, keep afloat and keep on moving they will somehow find a way to make everything turn out okay."

I feel like the New Republic era and the NJO era largely fits with this tone, but the prequel material is much more fatalistic and resigned to tragedy -- which it is by necessity. The Yoda arc that just went up on Netflix had a rather interesting mixture of both. As to the Old Republic, I'm a pretty big fan of all the stuff set in that period, whether it be Tales of the Jedi, the KOTOR games, SWTOR, but I don't feel like there's any cohesive tone or aesthetic to define those things as being in the same era. A problem with the Expanded Universe over the past decade is that the eras have largely become homogenized so that you can plug any character or story into any era and it would fit, which kind of defeats the point IMO. The Jedi and the Sith have become pretty formulaic in that sense, and the stories have become dominated by that conflict. The New Republic and NJO eras are the only two which aren't. Incidentally they've been relatively untouched since 2003.

And I can do without the Legacy era. Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of SW Legacy, and the era itself feels either kitchen sinkish or just a bland homogenization of Star Wars.

It's hard to pick a favorite. I'm a pretty big fan of the entire Dark Forces saga, the two Force Unleashed games, and the two KOTOR games. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2 are probably my favorites. I liked the Rogue Squadron games and Shadows of the Empire as well. Heck, I even liked Masters of the Teras Kasi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.