main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He has this picture in a safe....

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Or he's a vampire like Nicholas Cage

[​IMG]

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 9. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?

10. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    1a) Star Wars
    1b) The Empire Strikes Back
    3) Return of the Jedi
    4) The Phantom Menace
    5) Revenge of the Sith
    6) Attack of the Clones

All I can really say with certainty (like Lucas, I change my mind frequently) is that Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are the best two films IMO. Return of the Jedi was always my favorite, though, and I have a fondness for The Phantom Menace.

In no particular order: Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Palpatine, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jacen Solo, Vergere, Kyle Katarn, Kreia, Yoda, and Anakin Skywalker. It's really hard to condense my favorites down to ten characters, and since you said "or so," I'll go ahead and mention Boba Fett (<3 The Last One Standing), Ganner Rhysode, Nom Anor, Jerec, Jaina Solo, Jan Ors, Juno Eclipse, and Starkiller.

5. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I'd never heard of this novel before, but I won't be buying it anytime soon. Just look at these prices: http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-...20951&sr=1-1&keywords=ghostbusters+the+return. [face_hypnotized]

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah it's ridiculously overpriced now.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You think that's bad? Try looking up the Lone Wolf game books that came out a few years ago.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Mongoose Publishing ones or the earlier ones?

The nice thing about the Lone Wolf books is they're almost all online, including the ones that never saw print in the US. With Joe Dever's permission.

I bought Mongoose's Flight from the Dark, but I thought those were overpriced at their initial sale for either $21 or $14 for a trade paperback sized book, so I never got any others. I lost my original collection. :(

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The Mongoose editions - the early ones are dirt-cheap, and you can usually find the ones published in the US at a used book store. I picked up two of the UK-only books on a trip to Ireland years ago.

The Project Aon site is wonderful, especially since the later US versions were abridged, for some reason. However, the new hardbook ones published by Mongoose were all expanded editions. I only managed to snag the first two, and then Mongoose severed the relationship - leading to the massive spike due to the apparently very limited print run.

There's also a tablet(?) Lone Wolf game that came out recently, that's an all-new adventure.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess I don't feel too bad about losing my collection if you can get them really cheaply. I had books 1-20 in their US editions, except the elusive book 14, which I could never find. I'm kind of glad I didn't do the Mongoose deal since it never even finished and seemed to suffer horrible delays. The expansion of Flight from the Dark seemed to essentially make it an entirely new book, was Fire on the Water the same way?

I do have all of Mongoose's original Lone Wolf RPG produced on OGL, but I never got the second one that was under its own rule system. I don't even know what the deal is except that some German publisher is doing the books now.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, the deal with Mongoose went sour. Something's up with them anyways, as they've basically killed off the Paranoia RPG as well.

Flight From the Dark is a vastly expanded "special edition", which includes being part of the initial defense of the Monastery to a sorely-needed boss battle at the end. The later books all had an additional "mini-adventure" usually featuring one of the other characters from the book.
    I had all 20 of the US books, and 21 and 24 of the UK, plus the Magnamund Companion and the four "World of Lone Wolf" books. (I somehow managed to lose book 17, though). I picked up the main rulebook of the original Mongoose RPG in hard copy as well.

I seem to be spending my elder days getting all the stuff my younger self wanted.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since this is a SW forum I think this version is more fitting

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 11. What are your favorite novels, books, and short stories, both in and out of SW?

12. What are your favorite comics and graphic novels, both in and out of SW?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding Lone Wolf, they have crowdfunded a re-translation and publishing of the books in my country [face_dancing] with new illustrations by Lukas Thelin
    [​IMG]

DigitalMessiah and blackmyron like this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    My favorite SW novels are Zahn's first five, as well as Stover's four, plus Destiny's Way, The Unifying Force, Rogue Planet, and Cloak of Deception. The entire NJO is worth reading IMO. The Last One Standing and A Barve Like That are both good short stories, and I liked JJM's Lost Tribe novellas, particularly Savior. And I like Zahn and Stackpole's Side Trip. I have to admit it's been a long time since I've read most of the short fiction that was put out by Bantam and WEG, and I've been meaning to do so for the past year but just haven't gotten around to it, so I'm sure there's some gems I don't remember.

For non-SW, a few novels off the top of my head: Neuromancer, Zodiac, Snow Crash, The Man in the High Castle, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Hyperion, and the Diamond Age. Short stories: The Call of Cthulhu, The Dreams in the Witch House, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The Phoenix on the Sword, The Tower of the Elephant, pretty much any short fiction by HP Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, or Philip K. Dick.

Dark Empire, Crimson Empire, SW Obsession, Open Seasons, the Darth Maul miniseries, the entirety of Tales of the Jedi. Twin Engines of Destruction, the early Fett comics. I suppose I'm not much of a reader of ongoing stuff. Dawn of the Jedi is pretty good.

As for non-SW comics, most of the comics I read are SW, but I have dabbled in the Ghostbusters ongoing by IDW, as well as their relatively new X-Files Season 10. There was an old Ghostbusters miniseries about a decade ago called Legion that I liked a lot, and it was supposed to become an ongoing series but the company went out of business. I liked Dark Horse's original sequel to Aliens with Hicks and Newt, but that kind of went downhill after Nightmare Asylum and Alien 3 forcing retcons to fit with 'canon.' I've also been reading Dark Horse's Conan comics.

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting.

Edit: Oh yeah, I just realized I forgot to say what I thought about EA getting the video game license. I think LucasArts was pretty much in a bad place before Disney bought LucasFilm, so anything EA can do is an improvement, because I don't think that LucasArts was going to continue any of their existing franchises. Now we'll get Battlefront 3 at the very least.

Ulicus , Iron_lord, Zorrixor and 3 others like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 13. What changes, if any, would you make to the post-ROTJ EU?

14. What is your opinion of The Clone Wars TV show? How do you feel now that it's finally over?

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    BTW, I don't know about how accessible they are - considering they would be 20 years old - but the "original" season of X-Files comics was pretty damn good, a self-contained story of 12 issues that bounced around various X-Filish scenarios that were centered around a conspiracy within the conspiracy.

The two X-Files video games were pretty good too, IMO.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sure everyone already knows I'll say, which is that I'd change pretty much everything that they did after 2003. The biggest problem that the NJO had which they never learned from is that if you don't like the story -- which a lot of people didn't for the NJO because it was bleaker than the earlier New Republic era stories -- then committing nineteen books and five years of publishing time to it is a good way to alienate those people. I'm honestly not sure what they learned from the NJO, except that some people didn't like it, so they basically did all that they could to diminish the NJO while repeating all the issues people had with it: character deaths, dark tone, the ongoing storytelling of the EU held hostage for years by a single story.

It seems to be pretty common sense now that the NJO should not have been followed up by another large story. Something like Sword of the Jedi, giving Jaina her own arc like Jacen had his would have worked, and it wouldn't have required a big series without the big metaphysical questions about the Unifying/Cosmic Force and the Yuuzhan Vong that framed Jacen's arc. And at the same time after the NJO, Del Rey was publishing novels like Survivor's Quest, Tatooine Ghost, and several years later, Shadows of Mindor, which would have been great as the types of stories we could have gotten after the NJO. The Big 3 wouldn't need to go into retirement, but at the same time someone like Jaina would get the trilogy. And if they're completely gunshy about "abandoning" the Big 3, then just have Zahn do another trilogy or duology. He's proven he can do stories of that scale -- you don't need multiple writers tripping over one another's feet trying to tell their own stories.

I liked the TV show for the most part. I think most of the issues are overblown and it's stuff that I'd already seen in both the EU and due to the PT before, so it's not like it was a huge shock to me that a character dies twice, has their backstory rewritten, or gets brought back to life. The Vergere retcon is worse than anything TCW ever did or could ever do, IMO.

I think it's too bad that it got cancelled before it got to finish the stories that it was setting up, like the Maul story.

Contessa, Zorrixor, Gamiel and 4 others like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 15. If you could live on any planet in the GFFA, what would that be?

16. What is your opinion of the Star Wars Holiday Special, and would you prefer it with or without RiffTrax?

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

Nar Shaddaa is my favorite planet, but it probably sucks to live on it. I'd say Alderaan, but the weather sucks.
    [​IMG]

I suppose I'd go with Coruscant.

I've never watched the whole thing in one sitting, but I liked the Boba Fett cartoon. It's awkwardly bad, but all the more entertaining for it. I'd rather watch it without commentary.

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    DigitalMessiah 17. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    At the time I was pleased by it, because I had pretty much lost interest in the EU when I had read Apocalypse earlier in the year, and TBH I was expecting an inevitable post-ROTJ reboot to coincide with Return of the Jedi in 3D because I figured by 2017 or whenever that was going to be, they were going to have completely run the Legacy era into the ground for the Big 3 and their successors, and I think that having that ongoing story has always been important to the success of the Expanded Universe.

I hope the ST doesn't just try to emulate the OT, but I do hope that it is tonally closer to the OT than to the PT. I'm sure that will be the case. I expect there to be something of a paradigm shift for Star Wars like there was for the prequel trilogy.

Revanfan1 and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you heard Dark Adventure Radio Theatre adaptations of Lovecraft’s work and/or their rock opera based on Dreams in the Witch House? If no, I can hearty recommend them all

24. Todd the Sock

Todd the Sock rawr ima mod star 1

Dec 13, 2013
    DigitalMessiah 18. If you could meet any three people involved in SW ( authors, actors, artists etc), dead or alive, who would you like to meet and why?

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess I'd go with Lucas, Kershner, and Stover. I think it would be interesting to pick Lucas' brain about his vision of Star Wars, to get a better understanding of why he does stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.