main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 11. What is your opinion of The Clone Wars TV show? How do you feel now that it's finally over?

12. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    10. I enjoyed it, but after a while, the continuity snarls started to grate on my nerves and I was finding it harder to enjoy the show. Though, I did enjoy the animation. My favorite scene is the march of the Geonosian zombies from Legacy of Terror, because the lighting was so well done. While I'm glad that we won't have to deal with any other TCW continuity snarls, I am sad to see it go.

11. Top ten? They have to be ranked in that order? I'll just list in no particular order. Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Bossk, IG-88, Embra the Hutt, Greedo (may his origin rest in peace), Rotta (he's cute :3), Toryn Farr, Ackbar, and Sabine, even though I know (so far) very little about her aside from looks and basic character concept.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 13. What is it that draws you to Zuckuss, and indeed to the entire Gand species? What do you think has been the best depiction of Gands in SW, EU or otherwise?

Findswoman likes this.
  4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    13. I'll admit that the mental illness retcon drew me in because it added more layers to Zuckuss. We have a relatively-successful bounty hunter who is dealing with untreated schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder and he still somehow manages to have it together. It was only much later did he finally succumb to it enough to be incarcerated.

As for the Gand species... Insect warrior monks. Insects are cool and warrior monks are cool. Also, plenty of texture and creases for me to draw.

5. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 14. What are your favorite novels, books, and short stories, both in and out of SW?

15. What are your favorite comics and graphic novels, both in and out of SW?

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    14. In no particular order, the Tales anthologies, Death Troopers (I love it and no one can take away my love for it), and I have a fondness for the Bounty Hunter Wars books, even though they're really, really flawed. I also liked Incarceron, The Flash: Stop Motion, When Gravity Fails, Shutter Island, and The Dunwich Horror.

15. In no particular order, SotE, Underworld: The Yavin Vassilika, the Star Wars Tales anthology series, Watchmen, Batman: The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, The Sinestro Corps War, Identity Crisis despite its glaring flaws, The Flash: Rogues, and Sandman Mystery Theater: The Tarantula, even though the art was on the meh side (not a Guy Davis fan).

7. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 16. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?

17. Based on the promotional material what are your thoughts on Rebels?

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    16. Hoo boy. I'm still not sure how to feel about it. My biggest fear was that Disney would start trying to squeeze as much money out of their new cash cow, thus saturating the market. I also knew that eventually the comic rights would also revert back to Marvel, as from a business standpoint, having another property you own manage the license makes more sense. Though, I do hope that with Marvel back on board, we'll see some fun romps through the GFFA. The ST still has me on edge, though, and I'm trying to avoid rumors like the friggin' plague.

17. The series looks interesting thus far. I'm looking forward to it.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 18. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

19. From the very beginning SW broke the mold on the role women would play in a story, and it looks like Rebels will keep that spirit alive. What are your thoughts on the representation of women in SW, and in "nerd culture" in general, and how that has evolved over the years?

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    18. Telekinesis, so I can fly. If I can move other things, I can move myself. It's a nice multipurpose ability.

19. I usually don't give that too much thought until it becomes relevant. The representation of women in SW has stayed, in my opinion, relatively unchanged. Women were given decent roles and portrayed as competent fighters in the beginning, and while there have been some ups and downs, they still remain pretty much the same. They can hold their own in battle, they can drive a narrative, and they can save themselves and the boys. What I've seen change were mostly the skill levels. Are they average fighters or supreme badasses? Every once in a while, they get the Badass Damsel in Distress treatment, but everyone has off days. For the most part, the portrayal of women overall has been decent and hasn't deviated from that point too much.

In terms of real life nerd culture... I've heard some horror stories, but haven't witnessed any myself of girls getting crap for cosplaying and being accused of not knowing who they're cosplaying as. I, personally, never had that problem as when I cosplay, I either wear a full suit with bucket, or I crossplay as a guy. In school, however, I've gotten interrogated for liking what were largely considered to be boys' interests, and my niece has gotten similar grief. This mindset seems to be more prevalent in schools, rather than conventions, and with the general non-con-going public. Within various nerdy social groups, however, it's not a problem.

For the record, in my own experiences, I've found that I and other girls have been nerdier than most guys I know, even guys within the same nerdy clique. I also can say with a fair amount of certainty that I am a lot braver than most guys I know, when it comes to certain things, namely my insect collection. Most guys I've talked to would run screaming from it, while the girls I've talked to show interest in it.

Interesting inversion of an old gender stereotype.

11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar Alright, rapid-fire time.

What is your favorite music genre?

Favorite place to read?

Favorite food?

Least favorite smell?

Favorite animal?

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have to pick just one? Rock, and many sub-genres of rock.

Couch.

Chocolate

Pee

Frog

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar What is your favorite school subject?

Least favorite SW novel?

Favorite sport?

Favorite TV show genre?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Art

Rogue Planet

Softball/baseball, even though I stink at it.

Cartoon isn't a genre? Fine, action adventure. I also like comedies, and the occasional crime drama.

Denali chocolate Moose Tracks

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar What is your favorite season?

Favorite word?

Favorite SW actor/actress?

Least favorite holiday?

Favorite Batman actor?

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Spring

Asinine. I like the multiple syllables.

Peter Mayhew

Christmas.

Mark Hamill as the Joker. Oh, wait, you mean portrayal of Batman. Well, I liked Keaton's Batman, but I also liked Clooney's Bruce Wayne. If they could be combined somehow...

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 20. If you could meet any three people involved in SW ( authors, actors, artists etc), dead or alive, who would you like to meet and why?

21. What would you do if you won the lottery?

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    20. Well, I've already met multiple important people. I would, though, like to have another go at a portfolio review with Troy Alders, the art director. The one at CVI was extremely meh. I know I'm a diamond in the rough without a degree to show for any training I ostensibly cobbled together on my own, but please view my art with a different mindset. If you think I have the potential, then cultivate it. School is expensive. Offer a scholarship and an apprenticeship. Give me something tangible to work with, rather than the same regurgitated platitudes I hear at every portfolio review. What are my strengths? What are my weaknesses? How can I fix those weaknesses? Throwing a school at me with no means on paying for it or even getting to that school is not advice; it's advertisement for the school.

Edit: I also want to meet Cathy Munroe. I require an official Zuckuss autograph for my collection.

21. Pay bills, pay for school so I can finish off a degree and finally use that stupid degree to get some respect in the professional art world. Without a degree, I'm nothing.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar 22. What world issues matter most to you?

23. What's the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    22. I try not to focus too much on world issues, which are things I can't change or influence in any significant capacity. I have my own life to worry about.

23. It depends. One time I was tipsy and thought yo-yos were hilarious. Though for sober humor... I can't think of anything off the top of my head other than I was playing with my Mewtwo in Pokemon-Amie. After several rounds of Tile Puzzle and getting other weird items, I lost it when I saw "You played with Mewtwo a lot! Found a Slot-top Screw Cushion!"

That item is made of nothing but nice innuendos.

Edit: Pic for posterity.

Zorrixor and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    And that's the end of the interview! Give a round of applause for TrakNar. =D=

We'll be back with a new interview soon, but right now the floor is now open for anyone else to ask Trak any questions.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Trak: So what would be your reaction if Zuckuss/the Gands were in the sequels or Rebels? Or would you rather they be left to the books/video games/etc?

Findswoman likes this.
  23. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    TrakNar
    1. What is your favorite Western movie?
    2. Favorite Star Wars game?
    3. Favorite non sw lucasarts game?
    4. Will you be buying The new Battlefront reboot? Why or why not? Are you a fan of the previous games?
    5. What is your favorite Rodian from the Eu?
    6. Street Sharks or Biker mice from mars?

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  24. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    It's always Biker Mice and Street Sharks with you :p

TrakNar, since you like insects, what are some of your favorite movies with them as the main attraction or background characters/gross factor ?

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who do you consider best dressed in SW?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.