main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Thank you, Gamiel—I knew I could count on you! ;)

For Gand commoners on their home planet, I've always imagined that hip-to-knee-length tunics tied with belts or sashes over semi-baggy pants (with or without a waist-to-knee-length overcoat, depending on the season) would work well. Of course that ensemble that's common to a lot of different cultures, but if I had to look somewhere for more specific inspiration, I might turn to Sephardic / Middle Eastern Jewish costumery along these lines:

EDIT: Spoiler tags added:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the poorer income bracket, something like what the Provençal peasant husband is wearing in this picture (for both males and females):

[​IMG]

One change I might make to the above outfits is that any coats, capes, skirts, or robes worn by commoners—whether for purposes of warmth or just for pretty—would have to be no longer than knee length, with longer garments reserved only for findsmen.

Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my knowledge we have not seen any gand 'ships, how do you imagine them to look like, or do gands not construct their own spaceships?

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, I imagine that the Gand would import ships from the same major shipbuilders as anyone else in the galaxy (we know that the Mist Hunter comes from such a builder—Byblos Drive Yards), and thus that the general construction and appearance of their ships would be more or less the same as elsewhere. But given that Ooryl Qrygg's X-Wing was beautifully painted in ultraviolet colors, I wonder if perhaps there's a tradition of painting ships, either with abstract designs or scenes/personages from lore and legend or both. Who knows, perhaps the MIst Hunter is covered with beautiful ultraviolet designs that are invisible to the human eye! :D

Barriss_Coffee, Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Personally I quite like the idea that every planet with any pride (and the economics and technology needed of course) make their own ships, or at least import the part from the big shipbuilders and put them together into ships of their own design and needs in mind.
    I like this idea. It probably looks like a pakistani truck to those that see in the ultraviolet spectrum:p

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, sure. That sounds fine to me too. The Mist Hunter was specially commissioned, after all. But "pride" is arguably not a foremost concern for the Gand, in particular. ;)

I had to google those to see what you meant, and wow, those are definitely... quite something! A friend of mine with whom I first chatted about these matters once came up with a design for the MH featuring colorful swirling mists, a legendary finsdman of yore, and occasional large, monstrous lobster-like creatures lurking menacingly in the mists or behind rocks or some such.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    True, but the gands probably need a nonstandard air system and would probably prefer if the interior was made for people who's standard height is between 1.4 m to 1.6 m.

EDIT: also if you think the Pakistani trucks are something look up 'Dekotora'

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, that's where commissioning comes in! ;) I'm sure any outworld shipbuilder worth its salt—Byblos, Kuat, SoroSuub, etc.—could provide things like that easily. And of course a bounty hunter's ship does need to be able to accommodate beings both bigger and smaller than bounty hunter who owns it.

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since Gand is an Outer Rim Territories planet it most likely have a different technological "level" then your standard Republic/Imperial planet. How do you imagine gand technology to look like and how dose it differ from Republic/Imperial "standard"?

9. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Oh gee, this is a tough one. Why can't you ask me more questions about clothing? :p

I always imagined Gand as having a somewhat "days-gone-by" atmosphere to it, with certain "old-fashioned" technologies still sticking around in some quarters: ink-and-flimsiplast books, parchment, quill pens, even some clockwork. But I don't see them as total Luddites either (for one thing, it's well documented that findsmen have nothing against using energy weapons). I would imagine the technological level is about moderate; they've got enough basic technology to live (and hunt) comfortably by most galactic standards, but don't necessarily care about being on the absolute cutting edge of the newest galactic technology. And I can also imagine some of their technology having a "steampunk" flavor, especially in findsmen milieux.

Hope this is a satisfactory answer! :)

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Due to my not being around for a while, I'm re-putting the thread on hiatus. So you two can take this admittedly intriguing Gand-related discussion elsewhere. :p

11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Aw, does that mean no one is allowed to ask me anymore questions? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.