main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC litmus test: darth ghost/summer dreamer - who is the greatest son of rhode island in its history?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    My friend Ryder Windham lives in RI. He has my phone number. and he's called me [face_blush].

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Cecil Rhodes.

Even though the man was English and probably never so much as visited RI, he's probably your kind of guy Ten, amirite?

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Someone will say Peter Griffin.

Mods, if they do, ban them.

+1 for Cecil Rhodes.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No, Who's on second.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hey, you noticed I live in Rhode Island? Where could have you heard that from? Have I mentioned it before? Stalker! :p

Roger Williams was awesome, but he's the founding father.

Let's see, we're the home of...

Viola Davis
    Samuel Slater
    HP Lovecraft
    Buddy Cianci (lol)
    Stephen Hopkins
    Nathanael Greene
    senator Pell
    Anne Hutchinson
    Moses Brown
    Pauly D (dear god)
    the Chafee's
    Alan Shawn Feinstein
    Olivia Culpo (Miss Universe 2012)
    the Farrelly Brothers
    James Woods

Am I close? ;)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Chafee's what? And who's the Chafee?

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    not at all. the answer was Governor Thomas Dorr

as to how i know about your location - though you've never reached kimballian levels of chronic overshare, you have oft expounded upon rhode island and your residence there, mostly regarding local politics. so, naturally, on learning today of something actually interesting which occurred in rhode island, i thought of you

jello im not even going to pick the low hanging fruit of a man of indian descent admiring cecil rhodes.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Dorr's rebellion! I can't believe I forgot that! It's too bad he failed

I'd still say Roger Williams is better. Started the ideas of "religious freedom" and "separation of church and state," bought the land from and tried to exist harmoniously with the Native Americans, wanted to abolish slavery. A man so many centuries ahead of his time, being born in 1603.

EDIT:

Yeah I know, I was just joking with you, I know I've mentioned Rhode Island a lot.

You should look up some of the other names on my brainstorming list too if you liked Dorr.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You seem to be pretty bad at picking out the jokes in this thread, Rogue Ten.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I prefer Darth Ghost to Summer Dreamer by a ratio of 10:1, which gives me a pH of 6 on the Rhode Island scale. Or something

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wanted "Ghost" but it was taken, so I chose Summer Dreamer (from one of my stories) for something a little more optimistic. But I've grown sick of it too, and I don't think I can get another name change :(

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I didn't even know it was possible. Does that mean I can change my name to Darth_Ghost?

15. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    how did this happen

16. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    kimballian levels are fine, it's katanaian levels you have to worry about

18. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    okay i don't even know what i did up there ^ but here is what i was trying to say

you're one to talk.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    he "failed" but he also succeeded in provoking the reform he wished to occur. if you think the wealthy would have given up a monopoly on suffrage without the threat of people like dorr willing to TAKE it from them, well, then the american education system has done its nefarious job

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Even after we have universal male suffrage on paper with a new constitution, it was still denied to some people (like the Irish) until the 1930's in practice (when Rhode Island had the "bloodless revolution" in 1934).

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    and they too were justified in rioting and agitating to obtain recognition of that right for themselves

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not disagreeing, man. Just saying Dorr didn't really win until the Bloodless Revolution in 1935 (I think they even did it in Dorr's name, IIRC).

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    but he won. teaching once again the most important lesson of the human experience - the rich and powerful never give up any ground if they can possibly avoid it, and the poor and oppressed only win when they take what they want or at least frighten the powerful into believing that they will if they're not appeased