main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lit's Galactic Travel Guide and Planets discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , May 5, 2016.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Do you like chunks of rock of varying sizes?

Why not visit Alderaan!

Alderaan... rocks!

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'd do an article about pre-Disaster Alderaan! :)

Cantankerous Ordo and Contessa like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As noted just above, that makes the Alderaan one really cruel and insensitive ;)

But then it also makes the Hoth one really weird.

Of course, they're Star Tours tie-ins and like Star Tours, they're all over the place because they're official but not strictly canon. So they're just for funsies.

vncredleader and JediBatman like this.
  4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The list of sights to see on Abafar wouldn't fill a single piece of paper... ;)

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wonder -- do agricultural worlds have rivalries? Does Salliche think it's better than the impossibly backwards world of Agamar? Do Ukio and Reytha compete with each other?

MercenaryAce, Mia Mesharad and Gamiel like this.
  6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I imagine there are local rivalries - Yulant and Broest, for instance, might jostle to keep in the favor of Mama Salliche, but probably have no strong feelings about Ukio. Heck, the average resident has probably never even HEARD of Ukio, any more than farmers in Arvin, California are likely to have heard of Ensign, Kansas.

MercenaryAce and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You just made those names up. :p

8. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    Heh. I'll gladly do Bothawui!

9. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I like this idea a lot. This thread should be a good read once things get going. And yeah, I suppose I'm good to contribute some, too. What sort of style are we going for? Travel ad, personally guided tour, post-vacation story...? Anything specific, or writer's preference?

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Personally I'd say writer's preference. Everybody go with whatever format they're good at so long as it paints the best picture in the end.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So is this DOA?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, but you picked a bad week to up it since I'm about to go out of town and can't direct discussion :p

13. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    If and when this takes off, I'm still ready to try the Bothawui entry. :D

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    And I'd do Alderaan.

15. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    This thread has reminded me of a few websites I made of planets that were sort of meant to be, more or less, travel guides. I mostly made them to showcase Lucasfilm's amazing work on Clone Wars, but I hadn't shown them to anyone yet.

Here is Raxus, Coruscant, and Dathomir
    (Raxus is the first one I made and by far my favorite)

If you notice the voice in each one is IU and set during the Clone Wars. The Raxus one even has a not-so-well-hidden Separatist agenda :p
    Although I don't go into much detail about the 'attractions' of each planet, I still felt they fit into this discussion well enough. What do you think of them? What other planets should I make 'travel websites' for?

16. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    So this kinda went nowhere. lol Guys, what happened? No time? No interest?

Can we still get this thread off the ground? I'm still stoked to read your tour of Alderaan, LelalMekha, or your Bothawui tour, Big Fat'Lya. Mia Mesharad, how 'bout that Mandalore guide? Coruscant, GrandAdmiralJello? Anybody else?

jSarek and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, right. Maybe I'll do a write-up about Monument Plaza, the Manarai, and Umate at some point soon. That would be fun.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  18. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Uh, you forgot the "might possibly have just forgotten all about this" option. And I feel like that's a very important and relevant option that shouldn't be overlooked. :p

Now that you've reminded me, however...yes, I will definitely set aside some time in the very near future to get something done. I still love the idea, and I hope other people will want to get in on this. I was just thoroughly side-tracked at the time. Hopefully, I'll have something to contribute by week's end, so we can really get the ball rolling.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I had completely forgotten about it, but I'm still on board for a tour of Alderaan! Do we want to establish some kind of pattern for those?

20. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I love this idea! I've always wanted to do travel poster art for Star Wars planets...(although don't hold me to it - we all know my delusions of grandeur rarely make it off the ground!).

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Ooh, neat idea. More Lonely Planet -ish than Ben Burtt's Galactic Phrase Book.
    It'd be fun to do something on Zonama Sekot - travel on galaxy's only traveling Gaia world! :p It writes itself.
    And I'd love to organize a geo fieldtrip tour to Illum. It's the most geologically interesting SW planet!

:eek:
    Empress Teta and Abregado-Rae pins MUST be mine!
    *checks price*
    *cries*
    *blames Jello*
    *purchases anyway*

22. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    As far as *I'm* concerned...
    If you feel like doing something like the OS's tourist articles, cool. If you wanna do a more FFG style tour of a planet, cool. Do what suits you.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    I know it's been a while, and it this point we're looking at some full-blown thread necromancy, but I'm finally able to contribute to the thread. Some electronic shenanigans saw my original efforts lost back in March, and a not unhealthy amount of rage-quitting kept me from redoing everything right away, I have to admit. But with some recent summer free time and no small amount of friendly nagging—which, to be fair, is the only way I get anything done—I bring you a Guided Tour of Mandalore, as promised. Feel free to enjoy, or ignore, as you please. :p

And hopefully this might breathe a little life back into the thread, and we can finally get some of those other pieces on Lit's favorite planets.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ooooh.

25. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    The level of detail in this amazing. I've read it 3 times now and I'm still kinda blown away. I feel like you referenced basically everything that even *mentioned* Mandalore in the last ten or fifteen years, which is crazy thorough, first of all, but also really impressive for how seamlessly it works together TCW New Mandos and everything else.