main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Little Help...

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jedi_Benji, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    I have a music Assessment, and i decided to do it on the AOTC soundtrack and i am a little stuck.

The question is:
    Discuss background and external influences on the style of music(eg: Social and economic issues)

Its due in 2 days (got it today) and i cant seem to fill up a page, some help would be appreciated.

Note: Can a Mod lock this in 50 hours or so please?

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I wonder if you can twist that into how the AOTC soundtrack is influenced by the scores from the other 4 films?

3. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, as far as external influences, I would take it in one of two directions. One would be to talk about the music of the OT, and how JW is trying to create music that will grow into the music already composed. So, as far as AOTC goes, take a look at the love theme in contrast to leia's theme, the love theme from ESB, and Lukes from the OT. Specifically to leia and the love theme, you can discus the way JW plays with the leap of a minor 6th, that will become a major 6th for the other two themes (thus the tragic love turns hopefull). For Luke, look into the ways that triplets are used (ie, the love theme from AOTC uses triplet moving motion, and the triplets are prominant in Lukes theme).

The other direction I might take would be a little harder to quantify, but could be more fun to look into. You could talk about the social influence of fan expectations. ie, JW has already composed what most consider to be the best work ever, and having to add to that work amidst all the negative backlash that the PT music has recieved thusfar (undeservedly, in my opinion). So here, you can talk about the high level of expectation, and perhaps draw some parallels to Mozart's life (ie. people loved Marriage of Figaro so much, and expected so much from him that much of his later works got crap reviews and a ton of fan backlash. Now, many consider Magic Flute to be one of his best, but it took years to create an impartial audience)

I know that was a ton to chew on, but I hoped it helped. If you want to talk a little more about this, I could give you some more ideas...PM me and I will give you my #

-Tenor (who, by the way, is a music theorist for film score ;))

4. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.