main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Little kid Anakin vs Jar Jar Binks

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Which do you feel was pulled off the worse?

1. Jar Jar Binks

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Little Anakin

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Equally bad

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Like them just the way they are

38 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Which do you feel is worse in terms of movie character? I am not exactly talking about who's a better person. I am talking more about how they were pulled of on the screen.

I think I dislike little Anakin more. Sure Jar Jar is annoying, but he is a minor character compared to Anakin. I think its a bigger let down when a main character is done poorly than a supporting one.

First off I really don't care for little kids fighting in battles. I didn't like a little kid Anakin in a starship battle playing around not knowing what he was doing.
    I think Anakin was introduced too young, he should have been at least 12.
    I also don't like some of his dialogue. "Are you an angle?" sounds annoying to me

P.S I don't want this thread turning in a personal attack war, so can we stay on topic. Feel free to disagree with who's more annoying, but please stay on topic. Also I am not a TPM hater, I just dislike some parts. Its my favorite of the PT.

PrincessLeia17 likes this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I felt they were equally annoying and should've been done better. Especially with Jar-Jar. Anakin has some freedom of maneuver because he was just a nine-year-old child at the time. Jar-Jar was presumably a fully-grown, mature Gungan yet for reasons unknown, he acted more childish than the actual child!Anakin. He was in almost every scene and destroyed any seriousness of it with his 'humor'. Sorry, but when you're doing a scene where they're talking about the prospect of allowing a kid to partake in a dangerous sport that has a high certainty of killing him, Jar-Jar stealing some fruits with his tongue isn't going to help improve it.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    They're pretty equal in being done poorly.

4. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I think the hate for both is way overstated. You can't fault Jake Lloyd for his performance because he was only 9. I think the way people bash him is way out of proportion. As of Jar Jar, I came to like him. As a child he was one of my favorite characters and although he isn't anymore, I understand why he's there although I think he could do without poop jokes.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Both were just fine.

Jar-Jar personified exactly what GL wanted him to be - respite from a serious, and at times, quite morbid plot of death, deception, and the foundations being laid for a Sith takeover. Young Anakin behaved the way a child does.

6. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    In no way do I fault Jake, I was NOT getting at the actor. I am focusing on the character. I think dialogue wasn't great and Anakin should have been older, which of course would require an older actor. I don't like a little kid in a battle that doesn't know what he is doing. Its kiddy. I wish the Star Wars movies were presented as more mature.
    Childish can ruin seriousness, and I think should be separated.

The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit is a LOT better at that.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I voted for Jar Jar. I've always thought they should have made Anakin older in TPM but since they didn't I don't think he was that bad all things considered. Anakin is kind of essential for this story while Jar Jar was not, he was thrown in for comic relief, which at times I felt went too far (especially the Gungan vs. droid battle at the end). Also Jar Jar's voice and the way he talked was really annoying to me. None of this ruined TPM for me, I still like the movie just fine, but I probably would enjoy it more if Jar Jar had not been in it or had at least been handeled differently.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    They're fine. Star Wars has always had childish elements, so a few more didn't bother me. Especially because TPM still managed to have plenty of mature aspects I appreciated, some of which still strike me as very unique for the series. To me Qui-Gon and Shmi feel more like "normal" adults, for instance, than obvious sci-fi character types. And I'm still in love with the Coruscant section of the film--this was the "boring political babble" part for many, but for me it was a perfect blend of majestic world-building sprinkled with some wonderful character and unique atmosphere moments.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Neither, as I like both

10. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know why people rag on Jake Lloyd so much. He protrays Anakin as a kindhearted kid who just wants to help people. A great beginning for the character. Did you want him to be wearing a Vader helmet from the get go?
    The saga is full of characters trying to find humor in the darkest moments. Anakin and Padme flirting in the arena on Geonosis with dozens of Jedi dying around them, Luke and Biggs joking around before a near suicidal assault on the Death Star etc.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

This.

And this.

For me.

Thuro likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    To me, the only issue here is that little Anakin is just like any American kid in any Hollywood film. Other than that, the actor is decent, so I like them both just the way they are.

And yeah, the rouge angles of satin.

13. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Anakin is actually a pretty realistic depiction of a kid. Have you ever talked to an eight-year-old? They sound and act like that.

Saga Explorer and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Why the negging?

15. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I am not saying he doesn't act his age nor do I want him evil. There is nothing in my post that indicates this at all.

I'd like a good kid. My point is I wish he was introduced to us at 12+. I don't like have little kids in battles making it goofy when the scene should be serious.

Luke's age was better for when he entered into a war and the death star run wasn't goofy.
    The only pre-12 heroes I like are in Harry Potter where it is done better than in TPM and they are 11.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  16. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    They' re pretty equal in being done brilliantly.

17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Something that I don't think a lot of fans really appreciate is that there is a stark -- and quite deliberate -- tonal contrast between TPM and ROTS; even between TPM and AOTC. And also between TPM and ANH.

George Lucas constructed an epic chronicle here. A chronicle of a fictive galaxy, and a chronicle of the heart, mind, and temperament of a single character within that galaxy: its vergent avatar.

Young Ani is used something like a tuning fork/force in TPM; from which much of the movie's bright-eyed, bucolic energy and mood are made manifest. Anakin is the fulcrum. And everyone in the movie has a double or decoy of some sort ("This is getting out of hand -- now there are two of them!"). Anakin's, at different times, is Threepio, Amidala, Jar Jar, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Shmi, and even Sebulba.

It's a very clever, luminous thing, TPM. I like and admire the superficially-innocent qualities it has. Putting on ROTS straight after should clarify Lucas' intent. By the time Anakin is surrendering his soul in Palpatine's office after the death of Mace, a part of you strongly hankers for Jar Jar and the good, fun times of TPM.

TPM's lightness makes the darkness more precipitous. The PT has a very operatic construction. I just wish a few more people could take the time to consider that; and find a real and serious appreciation for it.

18. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Both were equally terrible.I do not blame Jake though:He did not decide that Anakin should be nine.Its not his fault nine year olds are not entertaining.He did not decide that Padme looked like an angel.But Jar Jar? I kinda feel that is the actors fault for giving him the worst voice ever.The older I get The harder it is to understand Jar Jar:A character for kids that can only be understood by kids.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Love them both in every way. They reflect the much lighter atmosphere of TPM in different yet equally important ways

Both of them are people who were sort of caught up in events outside of their control and ended up completely changing their lives and ultimately changing the fate of the galaxy and both reflect a sort of innocence which is later lost in contrasting ways

Yes, my feelings exactly! This stuck out to me most during my last viewing. One could NEVER imagine the story turning out as it did after TPM and I really do find myself wanting to go back to that fun, light atmosphere - which is part of the brilliance; it makes the viewer want to continue through the saga to finally find that happy ending

Cryogenic and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I think they are both fine. Neither one is particularly compelling or repelling, and both have their good and bad moments.

darskpine10 and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    That's it for me, too. There are parallels and contrasts between Anakin and Jar Jar that are quite fascinating.

I sometimes think of that moment on Coruscant where they're waiting outside of Palpatine's apartment. Anakin eventually bores of waiting around (hmm) and pulls Jar Jar away down the corridor. And this happens purely in the background.

Now, yes -- that's a very nice rumination!

Star Wars has a lot of light and shade. People don't seem to get that it oscillates between extremes.

TPM itself isn't sweetness and light all the way through (rather like its surprise discovery: Anakin); and it isn't even all of the PT we're talking about (though it is often conflated -- seemingly deliberately -- with the whole of the PT).

It is also really intended as an overture: a portal through which the basic landscape of the entire series and the tragedy to come is established. I rather like the fact that it is warmer; and that much of that warmth is somewhat deceiving. There is a fine-grained melancholy to everything.

A very interesting fantasy film, IMO.

Seagoat likes this.
  22. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Didn't the counsel say Anakin was too old even at 9 for training when Qui-Gon brought him to them? Anyways both characters are perfect.

23. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I like them just the way they are. When I was a kid I wanted to be Anakin and Jar Jar has always been hilarious to me.

Seagoat likes this.
  24. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm surprised people mainly voted for liking both characters. It's not April 1st yet.

The two of them are equally bad, and ruin TPM IMO.

25. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I enjoy them both, I never understood the crazy amount of hate Young Anakin got, he did good with what he worked with.