main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Little things that don't make sense in the Saga....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithSense, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Topic: Little things that don't make sense in the Saga....

Um, like the whole thing? It's fictional and hardly ever makes sense. Force power are use or not used at arbitrary times to serve the plot. Yoda and Obi-Wan never tell Luke to beware of Force Lightning from the Emperor and that it's easily blocked by a lightsaber. You know, little stuff. But what's the point of worrying about all that when it's just so much fun to watch the films?

2. chopman

chopman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Yes I get that, but you're not really answering my question. That all takes for granted that we know that the Jedi want to keep the droids quiet, but there is no evidence of that at all in the movie. It isn't something that can inferred at all because the mind wipe scene is just arbitrarilly thrown in there.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Right. The decision rests with Bail. He has one of the children now, so I'm sure he wouldn't want Threepio blabbing, either.

4. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006

5. On_Your_Six

On_Your_Six Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    hehe, Sinnion, I'd hate to refer to what I think maybe the EU (given your sig) but I also seem to recall this was briefly mentioned in AotC. That Jango had recorded all the training programs as holovids and he had everything to do with their production, therefore I don't think it's so far fetched that the lessons the clones were receiving since their conceptions were all from Jango, and therefore that's the accent they became accustomed to.

6. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    I think I heard or read somewhere that while holding a lightsaber you have to keep your hand on the switch, and when performing a saber throw you use the force to hold the switch down. However, I'm not sure if General Grievous ever used saber throws. If he did, then I'm wrong, since he can't use The Force.

7. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Hehe :D I knew I would have to dig into the EU to find that answer, but it was just one of those things where only the EU can really give the answer.

By the way, I love the EU for the expansion of the stories and characters. I just finished my first EU novel Darth Bane, and am currently getting into Betrayal.

What I don't like is the canon explanations the EU gives to the movies, with the exception of the one above [face_blush] , of how things happen.

8. On_Your_Six

Jun 5, 2005
    Don't mean to derail this thread, but Sinnion can you post a non spoiler review in the Star Wars books section of Bane and Betrayal? Thanks

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It all makes decent sence to me. :)

10. DarthIbilys

DarthIbilys Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2005
    I remember seeing a piece of fan art depicting Vader issuing the order to execute Lars and Beru via hologram when the Empire found out they had the droids.

One thing I have always been curious about was whether or not Vader knew that Lars and Beru had the droids. It seems that, in spite of his dark side nature, that he would have had some sort of conflict in killing them.

I know he didn't hesitate to kill Obi-Wan but I think, given the fact that Obi-Wan performed surgery on his limbs, it would have been easier for him to kill him.

For Lars and Beru, however, he clearly stated that they were good people and they were the family that freed his mother from slavery.

Does anyone know if this is explained anywhere?

11. TK-115

TK-115 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2005
    What Darth-Sinister said. Really, those were good explanations.

12. chopman

Apr 17, 2005
    How come in the PT the republic soldiers are called clone troopers, but in the OT they are called Storm Troopers?

13. On_Your_Six

Jun 5, 2005
    chopman, I don't see how that's something that "doesn't make sense", but whatever, I'll front it...
    In thre Prequels there was the Republic, and as you may have seen in Episode 3, it became an Empire. Regime's change, names change... Kinda common sense.

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Were also not sure they are clones by the OT. EU has them as recuits and film cannon never says.

15. DarthPlagueisTW

DarthPlagueisTW Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2007
    You are right. There are inconsistencies not only in the movie but in the force its self. For instance Yoda in one of the episodes relinquishes his saber like that of a Sith, by using a dark force power to kill his enemies and Jedi are not supposed to relinquish thier saber

16. chopman

Apr 17, 2005
    On the Clone/Storm trooper thing. My point is that someone who watched the films for the first time would find that confusing. We take it for granted that it's obvious what happened, but someone new isn't going to make that connection since there's nothing in the films that explains this. Even us hardcore fans don't know for certain if the stormtroopers are made up of clones or are new or what.

17. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Obi Wan and the "I don't recall ever owning a droid" line.

In ROTS there's the particular mention of Artoo and the loose wire reference and then in ANH he has never heard of Artoo?

I know it was a long time between drinks for Artoo and Obi-Wan in the Saga but wouldn't Artoo being around all that time in the prequel period and then re-surfacing claiming to be the property of an 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' - a name that by his own admission "he has not heard in a long time" not ring any bells for him?

I know droids were not considered of much importance beyond their functions in the universe but still Kenobi is supposed to be many cuts above the average plebian of the SWU.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    It doesn't make any sense...

Obi-Wan did drink, but not THAT much...and even alcoholics have pretty decent memory...:rolleyes:

I think dear Obi was just going along with his "character" or in other words...he was lying.

19. Philthy

Philthy Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2006
    I read through the entire thread, and many of the things mentioned puzzeled me to.

Another thing that bugs me, is Obi wan's visit to Kamino. Jango tells him that he was recruited by a man called Tyranus. Then when Obi reports back to the counsil, he doesn't mention this at all. Since the counsil ordered this investigation, I would think that every bit of imformation would be important. Maybe someone in the Jedi community had heard the name before.

Also when Obi fights Jango, and Jango shoots the steel wire that wraps around Obi's hand. When Obi falls over the edge, the wire would have cut through his hand like a hot knife through butter.

Why aren't the Kaminoans just a little bit suspicious about Obi wan not having a clue about the clone army? I know Taun We looks suspicious when Obi leaves, but it might have been a good idea to check him out before they filled him in on all the details.

BUT, I am a big Starwars fan, and I tend to go along with these things anyway when I watch the movies, and just use my imagination.

Wouldn't want to meet the Kamino basketball team in a company tournament :D

20. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Obi-Wan never owned a droid. R2 was Anakin's, given to him by Padme. When he says, "I don't recall ever owning a droid," he's right--he can't recall owning a droid because he didn't own a droid. He never says whether he recognizes the droid (which, of course, he does). (R4 doesn't count because Obi-Wan would have considered him as being the property of the Jedi, and not as his own personal droid.)

He's speaking 'from a certain point of view', in this case. And at this point, he isn't lying. Per se. He just doesn't mention the fact that he does know who the droid belonged to. I find the statement to be rather humorous, in my opinion.

I don't think that Obi-Wan is a liar by nature--but if you've lost hope that your former apprentice could be saved, why not tell the boy exactly what he needs to hear? Also, wouldn't it have been devastating to Luke to tell him that the man he's idolized his entire life is in fact the strong arm of the Empire, whom everybody hates? Perhaps Luke wasn't mature enough to know then? Anyway, people will debate this point to death--and hopefully everyone agrees to disagree.

21. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005

22. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Are you sure Kenobi was telling the truth here? Thats the key.

He was keeping things back from Luke. IMO he did recognise Artoo. But to tell Luke the entire story at this stage would be both confusing and too much of a burden for Luke to handle.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Obi-wan would never lie... from a certain point of view.

24. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough".:eek:

"A young rebel, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father".:eek:

:p

25. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    ... from a certain point of view ;) Hey, if Ben had a bad enough drinking problem in the OT, he might have believed what he was saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.