main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Little things that Now make sense in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by On_Your_Six, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On_Your_Six

On_Your_Six Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    Looked for another thread with this idea and didn't find one, hope this isn't redundant.

Just to kick things off.

I used to wonder why Vader didn't personally lead the all important mission to go down to Tattooine to locate the Death Star plans himself. It meant facing his past, who he was what he lost, all anew. Then in some other way perhaps he couldn't "face his mother" as the destroyed man he had become. Small but very interesting part of the saga to think about.

2. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Good idea for a topic

How about Leia telling Luke that he was a little short to be a Stormtrooper - now we can assume thats because as Stormtroopers are Clones, they are all the same height.

3. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    Why Darth Vader wears the armor.
    What the Clone Wars were.

4. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    In ANH when the Senate was desolved completley I really didn't care. It was like, so what? This seems to be a Nazi dictatorship and it makes no difference that a small part of democracy was disolved. Now, knowing the greatness of the Old Republic that little fact seems very sad.

5. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    oh, another one:

When Vader sais: "Obi-Wan once thought as you" Makes more sense now after seeing the duel and after Padme's words.

6. Mace_Won

Mace_Won Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2006
    The Emperor's appearance in ROTJ

How Boba knew where Han and the rest were hiding in ESB (Although he could have picked this up elsewhere later on, as we know Boba and Jango thought they had destroyed Obi-Wan in the asteroid field. Maybe Boba wasn't precocious enough to find out how Obi survived at the time)

Why Ben was on Tatooine in the first place (When I first saw the OT, I figured it was because it was his and Anakin's home planet, and not specifically to watch over Luke)

Why Vader has a mechanical right hand, and a lot of others that continue to arise each time I watch the saga.

7. acmilanboy

acmilanboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2005
    Ben telling Luke about how he fought with his father during the Clone Wars. What was an after-thought of a sentence in ANH served as the basis for ROTS (especially the novelization of ROTS).

8. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    As Anakin is dying he says "nothing can stop that now"

With the backstory of the PT we now know he once thought the power of the dark side was enough to stop death. He has finally accepted the truth and as such attains true immortality.

9. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    Wow all those are really interesting...

The whole force ghost thing is now fully fleshed out as well.

10. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Debateable

11. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I wouldn't say "fleshed out", because it's meant to stay a mystery I feel. But we know a little more than we did what with Yoda telling Obi-wan Kenobi about Qui-gon Jinn coming to him etc.

12. On_Your_Six

Jun 5, 2005
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say that the force ghost thing was fleshed out at all... That seemed really thrown in there....

However, (perhaps this line belongs in another thread) but I truly understand Yoda's meaning now when he says "Wars not make one great" When Luke says he's searching for a great warrior...

Nice to see this thread bumped up.

13. Hootini

Hootini Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I have one, in ROTS after the fight with Count Dooku, Palpatine tries to pursuade Anakin to leave Obi-Wan behind, to which he replies: "His fate will be the same as ours".

His fate was the same as theirs.

They all died aboard Death Stars. Kenobi on DS1 and Vader/Palpatine on DSII.

14. On_Your_Six

Jun 5, 2005
    Hey nice catch, Hootni... I always used to think about the irony of that line, but not in the sense that they all met their fate aboard Death Stars... Sweet

15. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

The bit in ESB, when Yoda talks about "old friends long gone" (can`t remember the exact quote) - instantly makes me think of Mace etc now

16. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Through the Force you will see "old friends" long gone -TESB

an "old friend" has learned the path to immortality - ROTS

Yoda is talking about Qui Gon.

17. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    We now have a better understanding of why Ben & Yoda were willing to leave Luke's friends to die on Bespin, rather than have Luke try and save them. It was more than just fear over his falling to the Dark Side. They were sticking with the old Jedi "no attachment" rule: be willing to give up anyone and everyone in order to remain true to both the Light Side and the Jedi Code. Just like in AOTC, when Kenobi told Ani to leave Padme to an uncertain fate, so they could stop Dooku.

18. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    alright alright it wasnt fleshed out im sorry.

But seriously, you guys are right, I guess it doesnt really flesh it out more than it sheds a little light on it.

19. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

I was watching tesb, man am I happy that hbo is showing all of the star wars movies, and there is such a strong parallel between Luke leaving for Bespin and the chase for Dooku. I was almost expecting Yoda to say, what would your friends do if they were in your position.

That, and I have to say I think my favorites scene(s) in all of star wars is Yoda training Luke, from Yoda's first 'test' to his discussion with Obi-Wan.

20. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I must admit those words truly resonate with the PT.

Anakin was nearly obsessed with the idea of cheating death, or at least averting it. Now, having lived as a servant of the Emperor, and being in the place of those who he had witnessed die, he is able to accept it. He knows what it feels like, and he understands the value of life passing.

Yoda's words to Anakin about death also take a whole new meaning, which he finally understands. The death of a good person is something to be celebrated, as they can now be one with the Force, which is the truest reward for a life of virtuous servitude. Death is not a punishment, nor is it something to be lamented, because it is a part of life. The crude matter that is the flesh is shed and the luminous being inside can now be set free. It is the truest of all escapes. Pain ends, and ascension can truly begin.

21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "...an old friend, like... Master Kenobi" (Palpatine, AOTC)

"Goodbye, old friend, and may the Force be with you" (Obi Wan to Anakin, ROTS)

It can mean different people. But those people are always Jedi in the context of the prequels, it seems. Interesting. It seems that Yoda could indeed be referring to old Jedi! The repetition is probably meant to establish that subliminal link.

Along similar lines, how about this...?

"You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I must obey my master."

With the prequels, we now know that Palpatine watched over Anakin "from the moment [he] arrived", and that he was a father figure and mentor all that time. We also get a hint that Palpatine *may* have created Anakin. And we now know that Anakin threw away everything he ever cared for. Truly, the Dark Side -- *his* dark side -- was all he felt he had left. I definitely think this statement has immense power to it now. Incidentally: The word "power" has many different connotations in the saga. There is physical power, mental power, emotional power and spiritual power. Vader's line seemed to hint more towards physical or spiritual power before -- as if the Dark Side, through Palpatine, had some physical / metaphysical hold over him. The "mental" and "emotional" facets were there, but in a very dim sense. But now we know it's much deeper than that and all four facets are stressed equally.

One more (kinda pales next to the profundity of that last one, but here we go):

When Tarkin remarks that Obi Wan "must be dead by now", I used to take it to mean that Obi Wan was regarded as very old and thought to have simply passed on, revealing the ignorance of people not familiar with the ways of Jedi and the Force. And that's probably the way you were meant to take it. But now, with the brutality of Order 66 and blind obedience of the clones, the remark is a little more callous: Tarkin appears to be communicating his assumption that Obi Wan has been hunted down and killed in the two decades since the Empire was formed.

22. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Along the lines of "power," there are three key meanings that I've discovered: personal ("power to save Padmé"), political ("power you give me"), and mechanical ("we're losing power"). These various meanings serve the constant allegorical nature of the saga. One of the best examples is the pair of Bongo scenes in TPM. Almost EVERY line, including "We're losing power," and "Monsters out there, leaking in here, all sinking, and no power?" relates DIRECTLY to the political situation in the

23. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Awesome!

If you don't mind, and if you'll pardon the pun, I'm going to re-route power to this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_star_wars_saga/b10456/26158862/p1/?0

24. tomkat364

tomkat364 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    The senate dissolution also struck me. I never thought twice about it. However, the line of Obi-wan's in ROTS "The empire cannot maintain control of the thousands of star systems without the senate" makes perfect sense now and makes palpatine that much cooler. Even in ROTS he realized this and the death star, conceived prior to AOTC, was his last tool necessary for complete control. Its being unleashed in ANH was the last cog in his mechanation, and this is also the first step in his downfall (Luke blowing it up).
    In essence, Palpatine's full plan came to fruition hours before it started to fall apart thanks to the force.

25. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    "General Kenobi, years ago you served with my father in the Clone Wars"

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.