main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Jan 5, 2015.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah in the first movie sure. But all the movies sense he's more or less been a good guy who saves the day. And the recent movie seemed to be going for that view of the character rather than the original take.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    And those films aren't about the atomic bomb, whereas the 1954 Godzilla is all about the atomic bomb and specifically Japan's memory of it. The 2014 version is about...fathers and sons, which is certainly universal, but you can't argue that Japan's experience on the receiving end of two atomic bombs, literally the only country to ever suffer a nuclear attack from a foreign power, is somehow universal.

Abadacus and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  3. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes but it still resonated with Americans and others who didn't go through it. Stories are universal like that, even if it's from one groups experience others will still be able to get the message

At any rate, I doubt this movie is going to keep anything but the bare essentials, it'll have cyber crime and whatever and a female lead and that'll probably be as far as the similarities go.

I'm more happy we're getting another movie with a female lead. Considering the plethora of male hero movies getting a single female one even if she's not the right race has to be worthy something in the long run.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Neither American version of Godzilla has been an adaptation of the "Godzilla is an A-Bomb" metaphor story of the original. The most recent one does go with the whole "Godzilla will save us all" style of the other Godzilla films. And the '97 one is .... uh .... the '97 one. I do like Hank Azaria in it, though, but I like Hank Azaria in anything.

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Let me understand this. You two are arguing that the Godzilla adaptations are a success because they removed everything unique about the Godzilla story in its Japanese context, and replaced it with some entirely generic sentiment about heroism? How does this support the notion that it's a good idea to deviate widely from the original sensibilities of Ghost in the Shell?

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I think the other monsters were supposed to represent the consequences of man messing with nature in the new movie. Godzilla was just the foil.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

According to GenAntilles, people are fairly universal and they lust after the universal human values that America embodies. Similarly, most people speak English deep down so if at first they appear not to, you can just speak louder and slower at them until they understand it.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You're thinking of SAC specifically. The Oshii film series does not strongly depend on Japanese nationhood and history in the way that the series does. ( In fact, it is set in a city stylistically based on HK. )

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Who will play Batou? You'd have to go for some very Japanese actor like Chris Hemsworth or Channing Tatum, right?

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Idris Elba

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

He screams Chief Aramaki to me.

12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if this is americanized I'll still have all the manga and anime already made to enjoy. I've really been enjoying Arise lately.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    No. In the original Godzilla he was a monster meant to show the horror of the atomic bomb. Then in later JAPANESE movies Godzilla became something of the national hero, always saving Japan from threats. The 2014 Godzilla filmed used that later characterization and story, but moved it from just Godzilla saving Japan, to Godzilla saving the world.

No that's what you want Ender.

14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Lost amongst all of this handwringing over "Americanization" and Scarlett Johanssonization is that it's being directed by the guy who did Snow White and the Huntsman. All concerns pale in comparison to that little factoid IMO.

BigAl6ft6 and Chewgumma like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe you should look up the definition of factoid. :)

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    At least it's not starring the girl who did the guy who did Snow White and the Huntsman.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

fac·toid
    ˈfakˌtoid/
    noun
    North American
    a brief or trivial item of news or information.

Sounds like another case of Americanization :p.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Goddamn muricans.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    While I understand the sentiment about the Americanisation of the property, one of the major aspects of the original movie is the treatise on identity which is not as strongly tied into Japanese cultural identity to make it work, and in fact plays out rather interestingly if a spin akin to current questions around who you are the identity you hold when it comes to the internet can be put on it. If they go that route and use the broad strokes of the crime at the heart of the 1995 movie and the general relationships then they would be going with Ghost in the Shell to both describe somewhat the story and also the unavoidable linkages.

As to Batou, in all seriousness I could see David Ramsey doing it.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Major Melinda Kavanaugh of the LAPD. I can see it now.

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's like Godzilla 2000 all over again except they aren't even waiting for the crappy American version.

JoinTheSchwarz and Ender Sai like this.
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Ouch. No Oshii? Not even set in the universe of the other films?

:confused: That's... actually not true...

24. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    If the new GitS anime film isn't by Oshii, then what's the point? I love SAC and Arise, but Oshii's films are just so gorgeous. At least he's still doing Patlabor, I suppose.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002