main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Jan 5, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IMAX Poster and new clip (though I think I'm going to skip watching preview clips from this point- especially since I've seen disappointment from people who have seen the movie that they "gave this scene away" [thought its supposedly not a big spoiler if you're familiar with the source material]).

[​IMG]

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, I'm skipping that clip.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm avoiding seeing any addition footage as I'll be seeing the film in a few weeks.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  6. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Sort of excited about this. I told my wife Scarlett Johansson that if she made this movie then it better not suck.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Jan Urschel, freelance concept designer:

"Paramount Pictures game me the unique opportunity to visit the set of Ghost in the Shell as well as the art department at Weta to get a unique glimpse of the production. Inspired by the pre=production visuals and sets I tried a homage to this reimagined key scene in the upcoming movie. A blend of Hong Kong and Tokyo. Sprouting from the deep innards of the city, a new kind of tree of life standing amid the chaos that is life in this near future society...a key concept from the 1995 landmark anime carefully transplanted into the upcoming movie."

[​IMG]

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I've tried to avoid watching any more additional footage of the film, but the most trailer was attached to Kong Skull Island which I happened to watch over the weekend. By the newest trailer, I see they've already changed elements of the film from the original anime. Or course, it remains to be seen whether or not these changes we improve the story, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

At any rate, I love the visuals of the film and the look of ScarJo. I'm not expecting a great scifi film or even a provocative movie considering (from the trailer) the modified element/notion of "do andriods dream of electric sheep." This appears to be a more action/finding the truth type of film.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Alright I broke down and watched the 5 minute footage. I then went out and bought my 3D IMAX ticket.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The overall average of reviews seems to be that this movie is good though not perfect. Weather via a ten point or percentage system it hits on around 70% to the good.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So this is indeed a good movie. I'll cut to the chase with white washing:

She was asian, was kidnapped, and had her identity removed by taking her memories and putting her brain in a synthetic body.

As one review put it, it's not terribly deep but deep enough for this.

The city is quite frankly amazing looking. Height, traffic, holograms, criss crossing roads, slums and dark alleys, the very definition of cyberpunk.

The repercussions of brain-machine interface are central but they do not pause and dwell and talk it all out, instead they move everything along at a pretty brisk pace.

Now, in my mind this is not an insta-classic and aside from the amazing city it doesn't break much new ground, but people not familiar with the material may think so.

Gamiel and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, good-but-not-insta-classic sums it up. And it IS super lovely to look out- definitely worth the IMAX 3D price.

One flaw is that the film doesn't take as much time to breathe and contemplate as the original- it moves at a very fast pace. This works in some ways (you really feel like you're being thrown into this world and aren't being given time to fall behind or linger) but on the occasions where it does slow down, it tends to result in the stronger moments if the film.

The story also makes a very different decision than the original film in order to facilitate a potential sequel despite this being a prequel from a character development standpoint.

So, by the end of this film, the characters have basically developed to who they were in the original film- only transplanted into much of the storyline/set pieces from the original film.

But they didn't want to do Puppetmaster yet- presumably because they didn't want the Major giving up her identity before the could do at least one sequel- or so soon after she discovers it in this film), yet the Kuze storyline ultimately comes down the same "merge? Y/N" decision even those these circumstances force her to make a different choice than we're used.

But that threatens the be a Superman Returns-like Death-of-Superman-in-all-but-name scenario where now you've undercut that event by doing a trial run of it first.

A few other minor oddities here and there (a lack of reason behind the motherly invite, for example, or Cutter being an underdeveloped villain) but the film as a whole has much more good than bad going on.

Also, ScarJo was excellent here- just her body language alone, while not necessarily what I expected, was really effective. Her sort of angry-stomping, purposeful/storming stride walk and tilted down head in particular.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, inviting a stranger into your home that quickly was odd, but she did pass the kitty cat test.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Box Office

19 million domestic, 59 million worldwide.

19. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Glad to see it tanking, not only for white washing but the director sounds like a complete tool.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's too early to say that it's tanking- it is performing below expectations domestically, however. But it hasn't opened in either Japan or China yet (it opens in both countries next week), which will clearly be major markets for the film (particularly because the whitewashing controversy hasn't been much of an issue there compared to stateside).

Keep in mind that the film only cost $110 million to make (so, 220 to break even and 330 to reach sequel greenlight territory) and even a conservative estimate will probably put the film in the 125-150 range worldwide by the end of next weekend.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The key question for me, certainly, is whether they did anything with this. Did it play some major part in how the film unfolded or how we should understand/appreciate it? Or was it largely just an explanation for why they put a white actress in the lead role?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The company gave her a false backstory after suppressing her real memories, telling her that the amnesia was the result of her injuries from a terrorist attack. While her ethnicity in appearance isn't directly used, she eventually discovers that not even her name is real- so that her name being obviously Asian instead of American/European makes that point more obvious (especially as it is further revealed that she was a local kid and not a traveler from overseas).

Presumably that difference in appearance, name and backstory discouraged her from even exploring the idea that she was local (and, thus, discouraging her from investigating or encountering her real history). You wouldn't think to look for your past in town if you believed you were from somewhere far away.

So, I mean, yeah, it's probably just an excuse but it does fit into the scenario/setup explored.

23. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Not to rub it in but...

Maybe a lesson for people so desperate to be offended? doubt its one that will be learnt though.

Yeah I would tend to agree with that, good but certainly not free of flaws, somewhat more ambitious than I expected without being on to Oshii's level.

One thing you could say I spose is that the film makes a rather different choice to either of the two animated ones in heading into the action quickly but then slowing down for the middle act which things do get a chance to breath. Generally I felt things picked up significantly after the first half hour or so which did feel a little cluttered without much drive to the story/characters, when the plot about the majors origin really kicked it there was obviously a bit more substance and focus to it. The villain definitely feels a little underdeveloped but honestly I think the plot away from him is much more interesting anyway and does get rather more space to breath.

Obviously a lot lifted from the films and not all of it entirely smoothly but I was happy to see the diving, tank body ripping and the garbage mans mind hack remaining as they do add substance rather than just style. Beyond that though the design work was often very interesting in its own right, the future fashion stuff especially was very original not falling back onto your typical sci fi clichés.

In terms of box office honestly I'm not too concerned as whilst I enjoyed then film I'm not sure a sequel really appeals, the kind of subtle drama of the anime is just not going to happen in a big holiywood blockbuster and as I result I think the film needs a strong more straight ahead personal drama to it which the majors origin story provides. Now that's told what else could replace it? the kind of plots the series has typical dealt with would IMHO likely end up as rather bland and dumbed down in Hollywood's hands.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd actually be curious to see where a sequel could go now that the pretzeled adaptation/prequel hybrid aspects are behind them. For one, we'd potentially be getting a Major in a state of mind closer to the original film now that she is no longer adjusting to her existence AND they could still do a new take on the Puppet Master since they intentionally avoided doing that plotline here for obvious reasons, so it seems obvious that they'd like to save that for a sequel.

And that would actually give the Major a new arc over the course of these films (or at least within a single sequel, though two films would probably be better):

Film 1: Discovers true origin, accepts who/what she is.
    Film 2: Full acceptance Major in action, but begin seeding transition towards...
    Film 3: Major willing to sacrifice who/what she is to merge with the Puppet Master and become something new.

You could conceivably merge those last two and let a third film be the post-merge Major but I think seeing that transition would work better if spread out some if they could be subtle enough about it.

25. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly though I'm just not sure I could see Hollywood do a story like the Puppet Master well, in the original film that depends on selling the major losing touch with her humanity which needs a very subtle hand where as the major looking into her own background can happen on a more typical Hollywood blockbuster level of drama and be effective. Perhaps if the production shifted in focus a bit? reduced the budget and aimed for a smaller market?

To go more into detail on this film...

The villain to me kind of felt like he might have been a late addition and honestly I think things might have been better off keeping it as more of a faceless corperation rather than an individual. As with a lot of recent blockbusters(including TFA) I got the feeling the film would have benefited from the script being worked on a little longer, some of the plot advancements and dialog felt rather clunky, I spose I do reserve a bit of judgement there as these issues do often improve with multiple viewers for me(although that will have to likely wait for the home release).

Johansson I think struggles a little early in the film where she's given very little to work with but improves greatly as the story advances I think showing again that she's very well suited for these kinds of roles, Asbæk and Batou is a good deal better than the trailers made him look both visually and character wise although ends up a little underused as things progress IMHO.

Again I don't think the film ever totally breaks with your typical more straight ahead blockbuster style but it does push beyond it at a few points, some visually interesting scenes and quiter moment plus indeed some quite graphic material like the body ripping which I didn't expect to see.