Live - Action Justice League Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [link=http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5249]
    WB Eyeing Justice League Movie[/link]

Warner Bros. Pictures is looking to make a feature based on super team the Justice League of America, hiring writing duo Kiernan and Michele Mulroney to write the script, reports Variety. It's the first major action the studio has taken on the project.

The feature film is bound to include some combination of DC's most iconic superheroes, although the studio wouldn't confirm which ones they might be. It's unlikely that the studio and DC Comics, a division of Warner, would opt to feature second-tier characters.

Since its inception in 1960, JLA has featured almost every major hero in the DC Comics universe, although the core team has largely remained the same: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter.

The heroes typically band together to fight alien menaces or groups of supervillains.

"The Justice League of America has been a perennial favorite for generations of fans, and we believe their appeal to film audiences will be as strong and diverse as the characters themselves," Warner president of production Jeff Robinov said in announcing the hiring of the Mulroneys.

The trade says that in taking on the ambitious project, Warner faces several conundrums.

Now that the Batman and Superman film franchises have been revived, does the studio go after Christian Bale (Batman Begins) and Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) to star in a Justice League pic? The studio is also trying hard to bring Wonder Woman to the big screen.

To a large degree, casting will depend upon the story arc for the JLA feature and at what point in the superheroes' lives the plot takes place.

This will be interesting to see where it goes. Most importantly I'm wondering if they'd be able to get Bale or Routh for their respective roles.

/>
  2. Lord_NoONE Jedi Master

star 5
    I also wonder whether the villains will be the Legion of Doom and who will be included in the Legion.

[face_peace]
    LN
  3. CyberFaust Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i doubt it'll get the green light though, i don't think we're ready for something like this. although they managed to make some good fight scenes with the spidey movies, i don't think it'll look good in a group thing, if it does work, i wanna see it though
  4. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    The X-Men films worked, so there's no reason this couldn't work either. I don't think Bale will be interested in taking Batman into the JLA. Routh might if he thinks it's worth doing.
  5. JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Imagine Bale, Routh, Spacey, Ledger, Murphy, and any other stars that they could get into a JLA movie. With a good story, this could be the "Ocean's Eleven" of superhero movies.
  6. CyberFaust Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i don't think so, but people shouldn't lissen to me. X3 was horrible, the fights, double so, i pray to Bob that JL would be better.
  7. PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *Cough* go cheap *cough* Use SMALLVILLE's cast.
  8. Panther50 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If they did it right, this would be an awesome movie.
  9. CyberFaust Jedi Padawan

star 4
    but will they do it right? what are the chances this will be another batman begins
  10. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    I'd love to see this happen, especially if Bale and Routh are cast in their respective roles. It'd also be great to set up spinoffs, so we can see heroes like Aquaman and Green Lantern introduced in the JL movie without fully explaining their origin stories, then have their own movies later on. I think it'd have to have a huge budget to succeed, however.

Batman - Christian Bale
    Superman - Brandon Routh
    Wonder Woman - Morena Baccarin
    The Flash - Ryan Reynolds
    Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) - Ian Somerhalder
    Aquaman - Josh Hartnett
    Martian Manhunter - Phil Morris

I'm aware some of those choices are pretty iffy, but they're the best I've got right now.
  11. Lord_NoONE Jedi Master

star 5
    I'd see Ryan Reynolds as more of a GL character than the Flash. Someone with good comic timing needs to The Flash and I know Reynolds has done some comedy films but I think he'd be better as GL character.

Otherwise, it's a good list.

EDIT: Is Phil Morris Jackie Chiles?
  12. FlareStorm Jedi Master

star 6
    In the works faster than [link=http://boards.theforce.net/science_fiction_and_fantasy_films_and_television/b10748/25874517/p1/?42]many thought[/link]

I think there's too many origin stories to be told to make a real JLA work.
  13. Lord_NoONE Jedi Master

star 5
    You're probably right, Flare.

[face_peace]
    LN
  14. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    First, Josh Harnett will never do a comic book movie like this. He laughed at the idea of playing Superman. So he does not have the passion.

Second, Phil Morris is best known for playing Jackie Chiles and currently as J'onn J'onzz.

Third, why does there need to be origin stories for each hero? Just do a basic overview. We know Superman and Batman. Wonder Woman can be as simple as revealing that she is an Amazon from an island nation and an ambassador to the man's world. Flash is Barry Allen or Wally West, a man who discovered an energy known as the Speed Force which makes him super fast. Green Lantern is a man who has been given a power ring so that he protect a section of the galaxy. An intergalactic crime fighter. J'onn J'onzz is the last survivor of the Martian race. Aquaman is the king of Atlantis who fights to protect the oceans from harm.

Pure, simple and elegant.
  15. OBIX1 Jedi Master

star 6
    Cool! I'd definitely go see it if they make it. :)
  16. rumsmuggler Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I like Smallville's cast..
  17. Darth_Hydra Jedi Master

star 4
    We'll never know if they don't try. I say give it a shot. I'd love to see this if it's done right. But there are several things needed to make it success:

1. Keep the budget under control.

2. Use several characters that the general audience knows. I doubt this'll be a success if they try to use superheroes such as Booster Gold, Blue Beetle or Dr. Fate. I'm not saying they're bad character but we need ones that'll draw in people who don't read comics.

3. Don't focus too much on one character. I actually want to see all of the superheroes. This means give all of them something to do. We don't need a movie with the Big 3 and 5 second cameos for the rest of the team.

4. Make sure the threat/villain is capable of posing enough of a threat to the Justice League. If the big fight is against some ****ing robot, or something equally stupid, I'll be very ticked off.

18. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    The villian = Darkseid.

I would love to see a Green Lantern on the big screen done well, but I'm iffy about this project.
  19. Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling

star 3
    for sure the villain has to be darksied, or you could have like darksied and luthor... something like 2 super vilains.? if they had it exactly like the new justice league cartoon only with real actors , same story lines and such, then it would be a brillaint super hero film
  20. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I think they need to hold off on anything to do with the New Gods. Build to it. I think that either an alien invasion or the Injustice Gang/Secret Society should be first. And before those who don't know much about the comics speak up, the Legion Of Doom was a combination of the Injustice Gang/League and the Secret Society Of Super Villians.
  21. CyberFaust Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i know exactly waht they need!
    KEVIN SMITH!
  22. hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i think Brainiac/Luthor would be a viable villaain combo without having to cast a ton of villains, brainiac can provide alot of cannon fodder villany that can be blowed up without going from PG13 to R.

i think the new fantastic 4 will be a great litmus test for how well a really comicy comic book movie will do with the general public. like em or not silver surfer and galactus are uber far fetched and way bigger than life, mite be too much for mainstream audiences to get on board with, mite not.

the biggest problem is saturation/money...we know they are doing supes2 and bats2, are studios going to want to risk losing revenue by flooding the theatres. "why go and see batman, or superman when i can see em both in 1 flick". this is ok for audiences sure, but studio execs would be crazy to to so. having said that you wont see brandon routh or christian bale in the JLA feature. then that makes another problem if you cast someone else in the roles, this poses credability issues at the very least.

while i like the idea, i am also a dork, so even if the small percentage of us fanboys/girls unite, there are too many opposing forces with too much to lose in so many ways.

bottom line,never happen, you may get a small screen mini-series from smallville, which could be okay, but i see them doing a purely supes mini-series first. i heard somewhere it would be called Metropolis, and would air after smallville finally goes off the airwaves. notice i said finally and not eventually or gracefully or unfortunately =D
  23. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    There won't be a Metropolis. Smallville ends when Clark starts the dual identity and leaves home for there. There might be a spinoff down the line, like Green Arrow, but for now, nope.
  24. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [link=http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2119&Itemid=99]Batman WILL be in the Justice League of America Movie![/link]

There has been a ton of speculation in regards to the recently announced Justice League of America movie including rumors that Batman would be a no show, let?s clear this up fast, he will be in JLA... guaranteed!

ImageOnline reports early this month caused headaches for Warner Bros. when it was assumed that the Superman sequel would be put on hold in favor of a Justice League movie. That was quickly proven to be total ******** by a variety of sources including members of the Singer camp.

The other rumor that surfaced said Batman would not be in the JLA film and quote "he?s too big to waste on a film like this, apparently."

Rumors are funny. Sometimes they get completely out of control. Clint over at Moviehole was very clear that these were rumors but, of course, forums and fanboys everywhere started taking this one sentence as fact and the truth is, it?s total BS.

One of my studio insiders and close pal sent me this email after the story started making the rounds:

Sup brother! I ain?t a fan of SUPERMAN RETURNS and hope we don?t see Routh in the role again unless it is in a JLA movie, but I can tell you one thing: BATMAN is 100 percent going to be in the JLA movie they're developing at Warner Brothers. So I wonder/question how reliable that other web-site's sources are... Naturally, you and I never had this conversation!

How much do I believe my source? 110%, you can take this to the bank. The big question is will the movie ever get made? That is the 100 million dollar question and most of our insiders are split down the middle with some believing that this movie is D.C.'s time to prove that they can have an ensemble pic just like Marvel has their X-Men but the other half believe that the price tag would be astronomical.

It?s important to remember that during the Batman Begins roundtables at WonderCon in 2005, Christian Bale told us that he had a clause in his contract that one of the three films he was signed on to do could in fact be an ensemble picture. Now, at the time, everyone was thinking Batman vs. Superman (please excuse the old school iesb) but it could just as easily be something like Justice League.

I, for one, believe that if given to the right director, cough, cough, Zack Snyder cough, cough, this could be greatest movie since Empire Strikes Back. Could it happen? Only time will tell.
  25. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    May want to edit that for language.

As for Batman being in the JLA movie, I'm [link=http://www.batman-on-film.com/no_batman_in_JLA-movie_jett.html]disappointed[/link].

Bale probably won't do it, therefore a recast is likely in order. This could get ugly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.