main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Live - Action Justice League Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not like "The Man Of Steel" or any future Superman film cannot introduce who Brainiac is and explain him. Superman isn't indestructable. He's invulnerable, but he can be hurt. Watch Superman II and you can see Superman in pain during the Metropolis showdown. First when you see him shake his head from being attacked by Zod in the Donner Cut and Non in the Lester Cut. Then after he hits Non up through the street, Clark's wincing and testing out his right hand from the fact that he hit Non so hard. Not to mention that it hurt when Zod punched him in the gut so soon after Ursa threw the manhole cover at him.

Besides, there's many ways to do Kryptonite and non Kryptonite foes. Not all of them have to be Doomsday.

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I think Doomsday would be a good character to introduce but I don't think name recognition should play to big apart if the average non reader doesn't know who Brainiac is? What makes it anymore likely that they would know who Doomsday is?

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed. Fewer people know Doomsday as he wasn't mentioned much when the death story happened. So name recognition shouldn't play into it. Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow weren't as known to the average Batman fan and yet they were used and "Batman Begins" was a hit. General Zod wasn't known to many who never read the comics, but once "Superman" and "Superman II" came out, it was a whole new ballgame. Hell, Ursa and Non were created for the films and later introduced in the comics, after people kept mistaking Quex-Ul and Foara for them.

4. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I don't entirely disagree, I was simply stating that IMHO, there really aren't as many interesting baddies in the Super-man world as there are in Batman, Spider-man, or the X-Men.

The Hulk and the Fantastic Four suffer from the same problem. They just don't have the well of villains to draw from. Don't get me wrong, Egg Head is the lamest bad guy in the history of Batman, but nobody tried to make a movie featuring him as the Bat's foe. At least they got Lex Luthor right both times, cuz man they sure ruined Dr. Doom. That was the worst casting decision since Halle Berry as Catwoman... They took one the greatest icons of Marvel super villainhood and turned him into a suave playboy-type yuppie, and didn't even bother to give him that cool metallic voice...

Anyway, forgive my use of the term indestructible, but you got the idea. I'm not hear to argue over semantics. My point was that they're taking too long to move forward with any sequels, and Hollywood's thirst for money is greater than its respect for the fans. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next Superman flick gets produced in a hurry and we end up with something resembling Batman & Robin.

But seeing as how the JLA movie is going to be CG anyway, I no longer think the current franchises will suffer.

D_M_S_L

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    This rumor was recently shot down. It'll be live-action.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Superman has Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Brainiac, Toyman, Kryptonite Man, Parasite, Mongul, Rampage, Zod, Ursa, Non, Dev-Em, Quex-Ul, Jax-Ur, Talos, Blaze, Santanus, The Cyborg, Conduit, Bruno "Ugly" Mannheim, Metallo, Doomsday, Maxima, Imperix, The Galactic Gollum, Bloodsport and the Silver Banshee.

The Hulk has the Leader, the Abombination, Rhino, the Bi-Beast, the U-Foes, the Absorbing Man, Nightmare, D'Spare (sp), the miltary, the Hulkbusters, Samson and any Marvel hero they wish to pit him against.

The Fantastic Four have Doctor Doom, Namor on occassion, Blaastar, Annhilus, Puppet Master, Galactus, Terrax, the Skrulls and the Super Skrull.

Now, at the moment the JLA film is being fast tracked. That's the one that has to be looked at carefully. MOS is running along smoothly.

7. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Assuming this does get made, anyone have any good casting suggestions for the characters?

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm going to go out on a limb here. Since Batman will be in the JL movie, they need to make him a seasoned veteran, unlike the newcomer Batman that we have in Nolan's universe. Therefore, I'm going to say Adam Baldwin for Batman.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Rumor has it and take it as a pile of salt, that this Batman will be similar to the Nolan/Bale Batman. Meaning that this will be early in his career. While Bale won't be in it, supposedly, it takes place along that same time frame. One rumor and depending on how reliable the source, says that Talia al Ghul is in it and there's an allusion to her father's death in "Begins".

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    it would be nice to have the JLA movie somewhat related to the Nolan Batman/ Singer Superman universe

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It would be if they had the same actors.

12. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Well He would be an interesting choice and seeing as hes playing Superman in that Doomsday Movie, he'd be in the unique position of being able to say thats he'd played both Batman and Superman.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It'd be a Michael Rosenbaum-ish situation. He voiced the Flash and Deadshot (maybe some other characters that I'm forgetting) before (at least, I think it was before) he played Lex Luthor.

14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Baldwin might be interesting as Batman and I wouldn't mind seeing Welling as Superman. [face_thinking]

15. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    "Superman has Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Brainiac, Toyman, Kryptonite Man, Parasite, Mongul, Rampage, Zod, Ursa, Non, Dev-Em, Quex-Ul, Jax-Ur, Talos, Blaze, Santanus, The Cyborg, Conduit, Bruno "Ugly" Mannheim, Metallo, Doomsday, Maxima, Imperix, The Galactic Gollum, Bloodsport and the Silver Banshee.

The Hulk has the Leader, the Abombination, Rhino, the Bi-Beast, the U-Foes, the Absorbing Man, Nightmare, D'Spare (sp), the miltary, the Hulkbusters, Samson and any Marvel hero they wish to pit him against.

The Fantastic Four have Doctor Doom, Namor on occassion, Blaastar, Annhilus, Puppet Master, Galactus, Terrax, the Skrulls and the Super Skrull.

Now, at the moment the JLA film is being fast tracked. That's the one that has to be looked at carefully. MOS is running along smoothly."

Thank you for your lengthy lists of super villains, by the way, Rhino comes from Spider-man and Galactus is Silver Surfer, :) although both have been involved against the above listed Heroes. Anyway, argue what you will, my opinion remains, most of the villains, with the exception of Dr. Doom, Namor, Abomination, Galactus, Lex Luthor, and maybe Zod, listed are small-time, IMO. I think the X-Men, The Batman, and Spidey have all got bigger wells of baddies that are all more note-worthy, then all of the above mentioned.

Example.

Multiple Man may be a "cool" baddie, but I wouldn't go making him the prime focus of an X-flick.

It's just the way I see it. Don't take it personally, I'm not trying to disrespect anyone or their creations. :D

D_M_S_L

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Batman undoubtedly has the best rogues gallery in comics. But the ones listed above are worthy for movies as well, I think.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000

Actually, Galactus AND Silver Surfer were originally F4 baddies. :-B

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It doesn't matter if you are big time or small time, so long as you are a threat, that's what matters. Every one of Superman's rogues is capable of killing Superman either through Kryptonite, magic, advanced technology or being superior in strength. Either with or without Lex's involvement.

19. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    I hear what you're sayin', Sinister, it's merely a difference of opinion. :)

So in regards to the subject at hand, I guess it's all going to come down to whether JLA will fall in to the next X-men/Batman Begins or Hulk/Dare Devil categories. Casting is going to be important, but Story is, above all, the key to the success or demise of this flick and possible spin-offs. I've heard they've begun casting, but so far the only rumor with a decent source I've heard is Ryan Reynolds to play the Flash...interesting.

Personally, I don't have much stake in this thing anyway, as I was never that big into the JLA and am starting to think Hollywood's taking the comic book movie thing too far. I guess it just goes to show the success of the few do often lead to the demise of many.

D_M_S_L

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I like the idea of having Smallville move on--Clark Kent leaves and Kara joins the show in his place.
    Personally, I gave up on the show as a rediculous Buffy clone program. I was willing to give it a chance, but when they didn't have the guts to kill Lex Luthor's father at the end of the first season, I lost interest.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, Welling isn't leaving. He's staying on the show through this season and into next, should another season happen. Kara is not replacing him. Lionel is in through this season and depending on what happens, we'll see where he goes. With Lionel being Jor-El's vessel on Earth, the character has gone in a different direction from Lex. One has gone evil, the other has become good. An interesting dynamic. Besides, they were never going to kill Lionel that early. It's been the producer's intnetion to keep him on until they're done with him and that hasn't happened yet.

22. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    That show has no concept of the Superman time line. Technically, Clark should've left a long time ago to begin his life in Metropolis. There's no way they're still tryin' to play it off like he's still in high school. What is he, a lifer?

I know people like the show, but it just doesn't fit...

D_M_S_L

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Actually Clark has been in/out of college for the past 2 seasons

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Clark did his years at the University of Metropolis in two, rather than four, due to his ability to get by on an hour's worth of sleep. Yes, Clark in the comics and other media left Smallville when he was 18. But this is not the same as that. This is their own version of the story. Clark graduated from high school at the end of season four. In season five, he was in college. He has also found the Sunestone Father crystal and used it to construct the Fortress of Solitude. In season six, Clark promised Martha that once he has put the last of the Phantoms back in the Phantom Zone, he will go back to Jor-El to finish his training. At the end of last season, Lionel and J'onn J'onzz both confirmed that Jor-El isn't a bad guy and has been testing Clark to see if he would turn out fine raised as a human. This season, Kara and the other two will continue to guide Clark towards being Superman.

Anyway, back to the JLA. Word has it that after "Wolverine" films at the Fox Stuidos in Austrailia, JLA will film down there.

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    OK... I'll take your word for it.
    Haven't seen any of the show since season 1, when I got bored and annoyed with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.