main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Live Action Series] SW Insider: McCallum talks about season lengths, spinoffs, writers and more

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I agree with your reasoning, Quest, but I have a feeling the show is going to end up on ABC. With all of these reports about Disney wanting to strengthen their relationship with Lucasfilm, and the supposed additional Star Wars presence at Disney World going into construction next year, I could see ABC's exclusive rights to the show being part of the deal. Only time will tell, of course, but I just think Star Wars is way to mainstream to end up on a channel like HBO, that in most areas is available only in premium priced cable packages. I know with my cable provider the HBO package is pretty expensive (compared to basic cable, at least). Lucas has never been one to limit his available audience like that.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I take it ABC = Disney?

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Sure does.

4. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    I think that would depend on just how "dark" and "mature" they are going to be with it. I have a hard time envisioning anything close to the tone they are talking about, being on a Disney channel. I was hoping one of these days they would break through some barriers, and get down to some nitty gritty with star wars. If it went to an ABC/NBC affiliate I'd be a little disappointed. The idea of it being on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, really heightens my hopes. The mention of it being up there with "Sopranos" excites me. I don't watch the show a lot, but the idea of having some Star Wars stories set in the type of mood, would be appealing to me. Something different. Get away from the ewoks, the jar jars, etc. Bring in some darker charectors, more mature storylines. There are so many possibilies. But how they approach and follow through with it, will be hard to tell. I do see the point about the "premium" cable channels, and where that would be a real worry. But there are plenty of other channels to chose from too. I could easily see it being on Sci-Fi channel. That channel has to be one of the diverse I've seen. So many different types of shows (of course mostly sci-fi..lol). Some of the shows on a mature side, creature shows, and some on the pretty silly if you ask me side! [face_laugh]

It all does make you sit and wonder, what will happen though....

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not necessarily- I believe I read he did make upgrading theaters to THX quality a requirement for showing ROTJ, IIRC.

6. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    No matter how "dark" they claim the show is going to be, i'd bet dollar to donuts that it's not going to be any darker than RotS. There's not going to be profanity or nudity, cuz that's just not how Lucas works. There'll be violence, but it's not going to be gruesome, bloody, extreme violence. There's absolutely no question in my mind that the show will be "fit" for network broadcast. Lucas is a smart businessman above all else -- he's not going to limit the exposure of his show by putting it on pay/premium cable.

Even if the show turns out to suck, networks & their parent companies will be falling over each other to secure the rights. Notice how hard and publically Disney is pressing -- and Disney never needs to do such a thing normally. They're frackin' Disney! Star Wars (again, even if it sucks) = immediate viewer recognition + huge pre-installed fan base = advertisers going nuts for ad time = network makes hella money.

7. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Amen. I think part of the fun of SW is that it's something the whole family can enjoy.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Ever seen THX? Theres nudity in that, all-be-it very tactfully done, and I don't think you see anything that... Obvious. ;)

But I agree with the point. This show will still be carrying the Star Wars name, so its going to be within the "family feeling" of the movies. Just a darker, more character driven version, but now completely differant.

9. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Ahh, true. Though THX was more of an "art film" than anything he's done since. I did forget about that though, as the sheer awesomeness of the almighty Robert Duvall (i swear, the man could be in the worst movie ever and it would still hold my interest) causes me to not remember anything else about that movie (except the final shot, of course). [face_peace]

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just read the interview that GL just gave on the TV Guide and let me tell you, its consistent with what I knew. It will be 100 epiodes, not the stuff that McCallum was talking about. Furthe more, I have a feeling with GL's involvement plus the involvement of the entire star wars characters from the prequels, that the animation series can be more canon than the live action.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Maybe if McCallum's interview weren't so foul-mouthed laced, it would have lined up more with Lucas'. But when you have to remove half the text, it starts to seem like two different stories. :p

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    13-16 episodes seems far too short to me. Unless they do a lot of stand alone stories it seems as if each season will end just as we're getting to the really good parts. But I'm willing to watch no matter how long or short the seasons wind up being.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I think right now their predictions are all over the map, change daily, and depend on who you ask and when you ask.

14. Dack_sucked

Dack_sucked Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2007
    It all sounds good but my concern is this; why do they need 4 or 5 separate shows. I don't want to see them get stretched too thin storyline wise.

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I too feel that ABC will end up with the live-action series. They could have the animated series as well. Disney is really trying to renew their relationship with Lucas after it soured when Michael Eisner was the head of the company. Personally I think a PG-13 or should I say a TV-14 rated Star Wars series would be right at home on ABC with such grown-up shows as LOST and Desperate Housewives. Don't forget that NYPD Blue did air on a Disney owned network.

Heck I can see Star Wars getting LOST's old timeslot when it leaves the air waves in 2010.

16. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    My money's on Fox. There's a preexisting relationship there.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the ket point is it being 4 or 5 shorter shows, so as to not stretch one concept out too much. Compare the tightly plotted first season of BSG versus it's stretched out and rushed stop-and-go third season, for example.

18. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Wow, I like the idea. That would help take some of the sting out of Lost's departure.

I also see it going to ABC, although I can't exactly say why. But ever since I first imagined a Star Wars live-action TV show, I envisioned it on ABC. Of course, this was back before the prequels, and I imagined it as a Rogue Squadron show (which I still think could be rather amazing). But still, I've just never imagined the show anywhere else, for whatever reason.

-Paul

19. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I doubt that could happen now, considering how strong the Australian dollar has been of late. It is now valued at around 0.906 $USD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.