main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Live-Action TV Series On The BIG SCREEN?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Midgetsforbreakfast, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midgetsforbreakfast

Midgetsforbreakfast Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    There are many advantages in the switch to digital cinema. The actual distribution of the films with digital cinema is, IMO, the greatest advantage it holds--theaters being able to download the films through secure servers directly into their hard drives. This get rids of the massive costs of not only putting the movie on film, but it also gets rid of the cost of the distribution (shipping) of the films.

But it also does something else.

With theaters being able to just download films they can recieve them very quickly. Because it's so quick, they could even download an episode of a weekly series on the same day it is released. Can you see where I'm going with this?

With digital theaters we could have the option of watching the Live Action t.v. series on the BIG SCREEN every week!

This could be a great revival for the theater business, as well. If more and more t.v. series started doing something like this, it could really up attendence in theaters, and thus, their revenue. People could buy season passes for the series on the BIG SCREEN for $30 a season, or for $3.00 an episode(these numbers could probably use some tweeking). To intice people to see it on the BIG SCREEN first, theaters could show the episodes a day, a week early.

I would love something like this! You could bring back the Saturday Afternoon serials just the way they used to be done--every Saturday in the local theater.

What do you think?

Would George do something like this?

I hope so.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Wow that's actually...not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all! I don't know how feasible it is, but I think it is worth some thought. [face_thinking] I'm definetly interested! :)

3. Midgetsforbreakfast

Nov 21, 2002

Thanks. :)

I'm sure there are tons of legistics that would have to be worked out first, but in theory I think it sounds pretty cool!

Can you imagine? I think it would be great to go to the theater to see a new chapter in the 'Star Wars' series on the BIG SCREEN every week. It could definetly make the whole thing a bigger experience than just watching it alone, or with a few friends, at home.

And just FYI--it was watching an episode of the new 'Battlestar Galactica' that spurred this idea. Sometimes they have really wide shots of the fleet to show scale. It works really well, but t.v. screens are just too small to really give you a full appreciation for the size of the things they are trying to show you. So I thought about how cool it would be to be able to see the episodes on the BIG SCREEN.

And it led to the ULTIMATE experience on the BIG SCREEN--'STAR WARS'.

:D

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Maybe.
    But you have to think, why dress up, use the gas, and go out to the theater each week when you could easily just stay home on a comfy couch and watch them for free.
    Movies aren't bad because you go and see a movie every so often. But a weekly TV series? I can't see the revenue being big enough to warrant this at all.
    In fact, Lucas seems to think the opposite. Movies will begin to be released digitally onto the computer for a small price. He sees the downfall of the theater experience unless the theaters can offer the public something other than a big screen.
    I can kind of see his point actually.
    Sure I love going to see movies I really want to see at the theater, but more often than not, I find I can wait to see the thing on DVD.
    If it's a big spectacle like Star Wars that'll draw big crowds and give a classic theater-going experience, it's great. I love that experience.
    But for smaller movies... meh....

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Your idea could work in principle, but there's no way the distributor would allow the cinema to 'download' a digital movie. Currently the digital movies that are shown in cinemas with digital projectors arrive on an enclosed hard-drive which is transfered into the cinema's server system. Each cinema gets a copy, and an individual key to unlock the encryption on their copy (to prevent piracy). That won't change, because if it did then there would be no need for a distributor any more.

As the above poster points out, there's no way I'd go to the cinema on a weekly basis to see a one hour show.

However, the major stumbling block are costs. They wouldn't make enough money going down this route because they wouldn't get the advertising money associated with TV commercials. Cinema adverts wouldn't cover it (and I'm not sitting through 30 mins of advance ads), and the $3 entrance fee you are suggesting wouldn't cover the cinema costs (staff etc).

6. Midgetsforbreakfast

Nov 21, 2002
    Like I said, a lot of legistics to be worked out.

But it's a fun idea in theory!

[face_laugh]

7. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    As long as there were no commercials I would be all for it.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I could see doing a thing showing three episodes a month back to back on weekends or something if the theater's owners were into Star Wars but I don't see it happening on a national or even regional scale.

9. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    That seems like a really good idea. I mean I know I wouldnt pay to see it on the big screen every week, but I would definatly go sometimes. I think that eventually this may happen, maybe not with the Star Wars T.V. show, but anything is possible. :)

I guess someone should send this idea off to Lucasfilm. You never know you might start the ball rolling in the right direction.....

Sccrman95

10. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Theres probs lucasy people lurking to steal these ideas and give em to George.

11. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Great idea! A return to Saturday matinee serials sounds up his alley. However, I think watching the series in your home theater is what he intends.

12. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I just asked this in another thread.

"Why should the TV series be considered EU?"

Now, should this hypothetical SW digital serials on the big screen take place, then this question is even more pertinent.

13. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    I think that the T.V. shows will probably be considered E.U. Personally, I think that a lot of it depends on how much GL does on it. If he is known to be working on it quite a bit not giving the work to others and just OKing things. If he does it then it may be considered under a different catagory than E.U. but obviously not the movies.

Sccrman95

14. marc_craigwb

marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    if any franchise could pull this kind of stunt off its good old sw!imagine 2 generations of fans looking forward to watching their favorite franchise in glorious cinema surroundings!these days tv series abosoutely stink of cinema quality entertainment,lost,24,etc.cant imagine george producing anything but the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.