main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Did anyone else watch this last night?

Egad that was a bad premiere last night. I only laughed once (at the Aaron Neville/Horatio impression)

Let me count the ways:

Girls gone Wild Katrina - funny + bad taste = funny. not funny + bad taste = very bad idea.

new cast members - Jimmy Fallon wannabees

and the biggest letdown: next week's musical guest: Ashlee Simpson, I kid you not! Not even John Napoleon Dynamite Heder hosting next week can save this show.

Well maybe he can, GOSH!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought it was a decent premiere- that new guy's impression of Al Pacino blew me away, I had to rewatch that a few times. The Mike Myers cameo was good too.

3. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I didn't watch the premiere last night, but seeing Ashlee try to redeem herself from the 'lip synch' disaster makes it worth watching. And John Heder should be a good host.

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I didnt even bother with it. SNL has been extruciatingly bad ever since Will Ferrell left. The writing sucks and so does the cast. And speaking of Ashlee Simpson, that debacle was the funniest thing they did all season, which basically describes the show in a nutshell the last three years or so.

If you want to watch a show that is consistently funny, watch Mad Tv. I was never much of a fan but Ill be the first to admit that the show has improved dramatically over the past couple of seasons. Not only that, but unlike SNL, just about their entire cast from top to bottom is funny week in and week out.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I forgot to watch Steve Carell hosted right?

Anyway SNL goes through hit and miss periods give it time

6. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I just wont watch it again until they get some new writers and a new cast, however long that may be. I know that Im not missing anything.

7. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    What I really found funny was the DVD highlighting the first 25 years. :D I guess even some of the skits in it sucked, but most of them are hilarious, especially the ones from the earlier years.

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    SNL has been extruciatingly bad ever since Will Ferrell left.

Yikes, you know things are tough when we're looking back fondly on the Will Ferrell years :p

At any rate, i caught the premier, and it was...well, better then i thought ti would be.. Still not great, but there were signs for hope. That new guy's impressions were AMAZING (not only Pacino, but his James Mason during Weekend Update floored me!).

And that "Celebrities rebuilding New Orleans" skit was pretty darned good.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I've lost interest in SNL. I think generally the cast members are quite funny, they just don't have good material to work with.

I wish Comedy Central still aired the older SNL episodes, the ones with Mike Myers and Chris Farley. Every one of those episodes was comedic gold.

10. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh, the writing is absolutely horrific. The entire staff needs to be completely purged, IMO. Best case scenario for the show would be if Tina Fey decided not to come back after her meternity leave (which is a pretty good possibility since she has a sitcom in the works with NBC).

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...yeah, the writing is pretty brutal.. But I always thought the blame for poor writing STILL fell on the cast..

12. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, theyre definitely a factor. That's why they need to clean house completely on both ends like they did back in 95 or 96.

13. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I've gotta say, though, that I've always loved Amy Poehler's Caitlin character!

"Rick! Rick! Can I have a bee beard, Rick?!"[face_laugh]

14. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ugh. That's easily the most annoying character Ive seen in years. Poehler is occasionally funny but that character is just plain awful.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I find Caitlin to be amusing most of the time, and occassionalyl funny.

However that "oy de mio!" character needs to die a horribly painful death- it wasn't funny the first time, and there is absolutely nothing they can do with the character that would make it even remotely funny at any point in the future.

16. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh, yea, that bit is just plain brutal. Another one that's just as bad, strangely enough, is Debbie Downer, which was absolutely hysterical the first time they did it when Lindsay Lohan hosted but has had a forced feel to it every other time they've done it. What's funny is that that's a bit that they should have been able to get alot of mileage out of but it only really was truly funny that first time.

17. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Things are looking dismal when the "Rick! Rick!" girl is the first sketch after the monologue.

18. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I was surprised at how normal Jon Heder seemed. I guess I figured he'd look like Napoleon Dynamite.

19. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    He's kind of a one-note performer, isn't he?

20. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    This show is just god-awful now. I only made it throught the first ten minutes last week before turning it off. But it seemed like they had to shock the audience to get them to laugh.

21. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...i caught the Heder episode.

Some of the skits were okay (the one where Heder claimed to be a werewolf was decent). Most were crap. I was severely disappointed that we didn't get more impressions from Mr. Impression there.

I actually like Hader and Samberg there. Hope they get more airtime in coming episodes..

22. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    If you want to watch a show that is consistently funny, watch Mad Tv. I was never much of a fan but Ill be the first to admit that the show has improved dramatically over the past couple of seasons. Not only that, but unlike SNL, just about their entire cast from top to bottom is funny week in and week out.

=D=

23. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    The writing has been bad for a while, and it's looking like the cast is getting pretty depleted now too. I am curious to see how that guy from the Internet sketch group 'Lonely Island Guys' is.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I have heard that the new season is better. True?

25. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Not from what bits and pieces Ive seen.