main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I know my wife has an unhealthy obsession with JGL, but i have to admit the dude is talented.. I had to dvr this episode (because the aforementioned wife actually wanted to watch it), so i haven't had a chance yet to see it.. However, i expect good things..

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Best episode of the season, so far.

JGL is a talented dude. I had no idea. Definitely the best monologue since John Malkovich's creepy reading of The Night Before Christmas last year. Also, for the first time this year the opening political skit was funny.

And finally we have another hilarious Andy Samberg song.

The final skit of the night was probably my favorite. Say what you want about Jason Sudekis "just being a straight man," but that skit really showed how funny he can be as just a straight man.

3. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah, we watched the DVR last night. Great episode. As expected, JGL brought it. Man, what energy! He was obviously incredibly excited to be there.. When he wound up and did that first flip off the wall... Wow.. I think he won EVERYONE over.

Not sure that there was a bad skit all night. Everyone had at least a couple of laughs, and yeah.. Sudeikis in the "Say Anything" sketch was a riot.

"Hey look! Genesis is back together!"

4. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    The only skit that didn't really do it for me was the "angry family at Thanksgiving dinner" skit. I don't know what the point was. What was the joke? Why was it supposed to be funny? Usually, even when a skit sucks, I can appreciate what they were going for - but not that one.

Also, was it just me, or was Weekend Update unusually short?

I would also like to give props to Dave Matthews' Ozzie Osbourne impression and Jack Johnson's "that was not mellow" reaction to it nearly made me blow Diet Coke out of my nose.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

The Obama/China news conference skit is the talk of internet and the political world.

I had 4 different people email me a link to it in the last 48 hours.

I thought it was hilarious.

6. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    The host was great. He was holding his own with John Lithgow as a teen, so I expected him to be good, but his musical talent was shocking. The whole Jack Johnson sketch was great minus Samberg. Dave did a great Ozzy, and its always nice to see someone poke at themselves a bit.

So tired of Samberg and his previously recorded stuff. If thats the only thing you do well, and you work on a live show.....

For some reason "What up with that?" is quickly becoming a favorite sketch of mine. The energy he puts into it, and the absolute absurdity just makes me laugh. Sudekis dancing in the backround is awesome. Gore is a good sport too, wish he'd stop carrying his book everywhere he goes. Lindsey Buckingham just sitting there is funny.

The "woman to woman" skit wasn't great, but I loved the idea of the gruff producer sitting in. "My boyfriend and I connect on every level, but I just can't achieve an orgasm"..."I'm sorry, I can't hear a word you're sayin, can ya speak into the mic." I found the idea funny, execution was just ok.

You can always tell when a someone is really excited to be hosting, and this kid brought the sauce.

7. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    What I love about "What's up with that" is the seemingly random and completely absurd guests and random cameos. Every time he sings, more random people show up to dance, anchored by someone like Klaus Future who is so out of left field that you can't help but laugh at it.

Al Gore's confused glances were great. He's become almost like an honorary cast member, and he's funny to boot.

It reminds me of that crazy skit from last year's finale with Will Ferrell. It was the one where he sang that weird Vietnam flashback song while an absurd parade of guest stars with no connection to anything happening in the skit file in and form an impromptu band.

8. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    It all seemed to be a build-up to the singing of that Wilson-Phillips song..Which kinda got a chuckle out of me.. I admit that was probably the weakest of the night, but i still DID laugh a bit at the end there. Most of the problem was i couldn't figure out what was going on because they really were all just shouting over each other.. And was Wiig supposed to be a boy? I think she might have been! :p

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    EW votes on SNL Dream Hosts:

JANE LYNCH

"Jane Lynch is brilliant with improv stuff? just go watch Best in Show or A Mighty Wind to see what I mean! She is my #1 pick for hosting SNL! ? TL"

10. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Bruce Campbell.

Just remember. It all started here.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:30PM-1AM
    NBC

B-
    Saturday Night Live

"All the old ''Saturday Night Dead'' jokes no longer apply: Now in its 35th season, Saturday Night Live is a pop cultural machine that's likely to continue until producer Lorne Michaels decides to end it. It's also found a core cast that frequently rescues almost any episode from being a mirthless washout ? unless the obstacles include bad material and a dud host, as occurred in the Nov. 14 January Jones debacle. Slowly, steadily, SNL castmates such as Bill Hader, Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte, and Kristen Wiig have become strong, all-purpose squad members."

12. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    According to my TV guide, they're showing a re-run tonight (Gerard Butler & Shakira). Well, I guess even the SNL cast has got to take Thanksgiving Weekend off...

13. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I'm still baffled by the hate for that January Jones episode. It wasn't THAT bad, and i thought the Taylor Swift ep was much worse.

The media works in mysteriously fickle ways, sometimes..

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Amen

15. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I didn't think either were that bad.

I think most of it has to do with the old "SNL hasn't been good in years" line most of the media retreads when it comes up.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    NATHAN FILLION

"Nathan Fillion really needs to host. The dude has a huge cult following and can expertly ham up anything they throw at him. Plus, he has no problem making fun of himself. ? Verity"

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think the dream host that Lorne Michaels wants most is Bill Clinton. I doubt he'd touch the show though

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    JIM PARSONS

"YES YES YES to Jim Parsons! He?s awesome and it would be cool to see him play some other characters besides Sheldon! ? Mary"

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  20. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I thought it was funnier than the EW recap person. However, I totally agree with them about the last sketch. That skit was all about commitment.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Back to Dream Hosts:

KRISTIN CHENOWETH

"Kristin Chenoweth, please. Give the girl something to do now that Pushing Daisies isn?t on and her Glee stint isn?t permanent. Plus, we?d get more lovely Kristin and her lovely voice and her lovely loveliness!" ? kellen

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:30Pm-1AM
    NBC

Saturday Night Live

"Taylor Lautner hosts! Invest in some earplugs if you have a girl living within a four-block radius."

23. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    That was an all right episode.

I thought the last skit was the best one.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-10PM
    NBC, TV-14-DL

SNL Presents: A Very Gilly Christmas

"You better watch out: The naughty-list-worthy Gilly is coming to town. Or at least to Studio 8H, where the recurring SNL character will host the show's first Christmas special since 2002. The mischievous schoolgirl ? played by played by Kristen Wiig ? will not only appear in new bits but also introduce some favorite Christmas-themed sketches from years past, like ''D--- in a Box'' and ''Christmas Song.'' ''Christmas is a children's holiday,'' Wiig tells EW. ''Gilly's a silly character, and she can do a lot of sketches revolving around children.'' Also stopping by? Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin, who will deliver two separate monologues. ''[The holidays] are a time for family,'' says producer Steve Higgins. ''And those two are as close to family as a television show could get.'' Let's hope Baldwin brings along some of his famous Schwetty balls. ? Kate Ward"

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The whole Gilly thing is just the biggest facepalm in SNL history- whose bright idea was it to take what is likely the worst, most unfunny, recurring SNL character of the decade whose sketches have no punchlines and are just outright irritating and give her hosting gigs for an SNL special?

I like Wiig, but *** ****, Gilly is just ****ing AWFUL. I'd rather watch 2 hours of Horatio Sanz playing Carol, Gilly is that bad!