main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I think Gilly is more about Wiig's talent for bringing a cartoon character to life than punch lines. That's what Gilly is: A living cartoon character. She's mimicking a hand drawn character in her facial expressions, movements, and dialog.

I, personally, don't find Gilly that "funny" from a punch line standpoint either; however, inasmuch as she's a concept that Wiig executes to perfection, I find Gilly a work of genius.

She's a bit like jazz-fusion. You don't like it for the hooks as much as the for the technical execution.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But it's the same expression and phrase over and over- she has like three words- "yah" "uh-huh" and "sorry".

The expression/replication might be funny if it was used within some kind of joke, but it's not- it feels like the bare bones idea for a concept to eventually develop for the show, like "Ok, I can make this face and say this silly...if we develop this as a trait to a character or sketch idea and add to it we might have something funny eventually"

Instead we have "Ok, I can make this face and say this silly..if we-" "Good, go out there and do it! we're done!"

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    This is terrible, James Franco is killing me right now. :(

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    YOUR DREAM SNL HOSTS:

KRISTIN CHENOWETH

Kristin Chenoweth, please. Give the girl something to do now that Pushing Daisies isn?t on and her Glee stint isn?t permanent.-kellen

5. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    So today's show is a re-run, right? No way they'd have been rehearsing through New Year's and all...

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  7. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Lord, that was a funny episode. Charles Barkley may be unpolished, but he is funny as ****. Every skit after the opening had me rolling.

My favorite was the Thomas Peepers insurance company.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11:29PM-1AM
    NBC

Saturday Night Live

"Sigourney Weaver guest hosts for the second time. What are the chances we'll see an Avatar sketch with Kristen Wiig playing James Cameron?"

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  10. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    EW admitted to liking an episode of SNL? Shocking.

Otherwise, it wasn't better than the last week's episode. It seems like no one else saw it but me though.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's a repeat.

(First Aired: December 05, 2009)

Blake Lively hosts; Rihanna performs.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Barley episode wasn't that great but Weaver's wasn't that bad. The James Cameron Lasercats thing was fantastic. The Avatar skit was funny to a point but had no end. The Weaver-obsessed-with-internet skit was good. And even Keenan managed to be funny with that 50 video.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-11PM
    NBC

Saturday Night Live Sports Extra

"Thirty-five years of sports sketches performed by people who most definitely failed gym class."

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Close
    Saturday Night Live

Host Zach Galifianakis; Vampire Weekend performs.

* NEW

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Host tonight is Jude Law; the musical guest is Pearl Jam

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Saturday Night Live(First Aired: January 16, 2010)

Host Sigourney Weaver; the Ting Tings perform.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Saturday Night Live(First Aired: January 30, 2010)

Host Jon Hamm; Michael Bublé performs.

11:29 - 1:03 AM NBC

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-11PM
    NBC, TV-14

Saturday Night Live ? In the 2000s: Time and Again

"Last decade, some of the most hilarious people of all time hit the SNL stage to entertain us with their physical comedy and bizarre mouthings. But hey, that's enough about the Black Eyed Peas. SNL in the 2000s also brought us Tina Fey's Sarah Palin, ''D--- in a Box,'' and Jimmy Fallon's inability to say three words without giggling. All these and more are recalled in this retrospective, with contributions from the likes of Alec Baldwin, Justin Timberlake, Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, and a strangely buff-looking Horatio Sanz. B+"

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    1:29PM-1AM
    NBC

Saturday Night Live

"The incredibly talented Gabourey Sidibe hosts tonight. Because the comedic undertones of Precious (yes, yes, we know, based on that book) weren't lost on Lorne Michaels."

20. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Sounds like fun! :p

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Betty White hosts 'Saturday Night Live' (NBC, 11:35 p.m. EDT)

"Our prayers have been answered: The legendary Betty White hosts tonight's "Saturday Night Live." Hey, Big Guy, another request: Please, please, please let musical guest Jay-Z bring Betty on for a duet."

Hmmmmmm.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i thought this was the best episode of snl that i've seen in years. bringing back all the old female cast members was great, and betty white slayed me pretty much every time she was on screen. also jay z was awesome.

23. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    The highlight for me was The Census Taker skit. I was in stitches, great comedy for sure.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Census Taker skit managed to overcome the initial "Why are they redoing a classic Christopher Walken skit?" dissapointment (even if it didn't exceed the original).

had to watch this one online due to a DVR error, alas, so i missed a couple skits. Still, not a bad episode, even if it was more old-cast-centric than it should have been.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Pretty much this!