main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's showing signs of improvement, but as usual things can be hit and miss.

A lot of the newer cast members have been pretty good- especially the above-mentioned "Pacino" guy who has done some great impressions (the Vincent Price holiday special was really great and should be a recurring character, IMO). Some of their pre-filmed material, like Taco Town commercial (though they've aleady aired that 3 times), the very amusing "Young Chuck Norris" and the instant-classic "Lazy Sunday" have really excelled this year.

The Jack Black-hosted episode was pretty good, especially that spelling bee skit. And last week's Peter Sarsgard-hosted episode had a couple good ones in there too (the accidentally broken TV during the hotel room skit was very funny, though the skit itself probably would have been funny if nothing had gone wrong anyways, as well as the "Peter Sarsgard's SARS Guards" advertisement).

But, for the love of god, I wish they'd kill the "Carol" character. God she's so freaking annoying!

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Anyone catch Natalie Portman last night? I thought the show was pretty funny.

3. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    "When I went to Harvard, I smoked weed every day..."

That was hilarious! [face_laugh] I loved the monologue also.

4. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I loved the animated bit hosted by Dennis Haysbert about black side characters getting their own cartoon,then going on to a Driving Miss Daisy cartoon and then a Lady Smith Black Mambazo in Outer Space cartoon. I was cracking up.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was one of the better episodes of the season. The Java Juice thing at the start was great "What do you mean you don't want a boost?" and that SNL Digital Short was the best one since Lazy Sunday.

Anyone else think Portman had a Gozer-look going for her? ;)

"You ruin the 4th of July!"
    "You ruin the 4th of everything!"

6. Hungry_Ghost

Hungry_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://videos.psych0fish.com/comedy/athf%20-%20arise%20chicken.flv.jpg]

Arise, chicken, arise. Ha ha. You say funny thing.

So, new season, earlier debut and a focus on the election run-up with 4 Thursday night primetime Weekend Updates in Oct.

Also, we have Tina Fey back to cameo as her evil clone.

"I believe diplomacy should be the cornerstone of any foreign policy."
    "And I can see Russia from my house!"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

The new guy's waiter character towards the end was pretty good- I expect we'll be seeing him more. Digital Short had a rare misfire with Space Olympics. Had some potential near the end but it just didn't hit right.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    As soon as everybody saw Palin, they all said the same thing...Tina Fey will be perfect!

9. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I watched the cold opening and I though Tina Fey was great as Palin, not surprisingly of course. Palin doing various poses while Hillary ranted was especially awesome.

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    The past few years Ive only watched SNL as the occassional buzz worthy You Tube clip and thats been sporadic at best. I havent really found the cast and the writing to be overly funny, but I stumbled onto the cold open last night and thought that Fey as Palin was pretty good. Pretty dead on impression, too. Watched about another half hour or so and turned it off after that. Phelps sucked and so did the sketches that I saw.

I was surprised to see Poehler back, though. I thought that Id read she was leaving after last season.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I loved Tina Fey as Palin.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Amy will apparently be leaving mid-season due to her pregnancy and upcoming show.

13. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I stopped watching after the rehashed Peyton Manning dancing skit, subbing Michael Phelps instead, due to being disgusted that he didn't get new material. Is that typical of SNL, to redo old sketches?

14. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I don't usually watch SNL, but it was great last night. I [face_love] Michael Phelps.

15. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I loved the T-Mobile ad parody and the glove jar commercial, but everything else after the opening fell flat.

Sports personalities don't make good hosts most of the time.

The "quiz bowl" sketch was a great idea, with an lousy execution.

Just my thoughts.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah things ended up being mixed. The swim team skit was a retread without changing anything, the jar gloves and T-mobile bist were great, the new Belushi-like guy's waiter character was good, the Quiz Show started off strong but went nowhere. Weekend Update was solid as usual. The ugly kids bit is still ok, and Digital Short was rare misfire, as I said earlier.

Also, I'm not familiar with the musical guest's work, but man, i couldn't help but think during his performances that "Darn, this could have been a really good song if it had entirely different lyrics, chorus and performer" because musically it had alot of potential.

17. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I was really bored last night so I watched most of SNL. I thought the majority of it was TERRIBLE. I hardly laughed at most of the skits, I agree that the only ones that were kinda funny were the jar one, the t mobile one, also the space olympics song made me laugh a bit. Definetly reminded me why I haven't watched SNL much the past few years. Oh for the days of Ferrell, Myers, Sandler, and so on.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The quality of show varies show to show. Almost every show has had about 30-40 minutes of bad skits since forever.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Too true. :p

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  21. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    SNL really hasn't been funny for years now... It's too bad.

-T_S_R

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It goes in cycles.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The last 3 or 4 seasons have had some classic skits- but they can get lost amongst the worse bits. The celebrity Katrina relief (with Hader's awesome Pacino), Death By Chocolate, 75% of all Digital Shorts, the waterbottle thieves, almost anything involving Walken, etc.

i really wish they'd release a Best of collection for each season. Couple DVDs worth of material, cut out the repetitive, etc.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Very good, espcially since it was done very even-handedly.

Still, whenever I see SNL and Clinton, I think of Phil Hartman's brilliant sketch as Bill Clinton at McDonald's

25. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Was that really the best they could do?