main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valkor, Oct 2, 2005.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Eh? She's a grossly unqualified nominee and a political hack. If you'd like a quick course on her myriad of lies and other escapades, check out The Daily Dish, which just happens to be running a special recap today of the twenty provable lies she's told on the campaign trail.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You can say exactly the same thing about Obama. As for lying, it's a political fact of life:

I have no idea whether the following article is true or not. Nor do I much care. 50 Lies of Barack Obama

I tuned out the American election several weeks ago, given the level of crappiness which frankly isn't flattering to the country involved. But if you imagine Obama is any different than Palin, dream on.

3. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    He is radically different from the Alaskan Empress, but I'll leave it at that. Good night.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  5. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    You think Palin could graduate from Harvard, be President of the Harvard Law Review, and be a Professor of Constitutional at the University of Chicago.

Quite simply, Obama knows far more about all sides of the issues affecting the country and is able to discuss the pros and cons fluently. And unlike Palin, he is competent.

*Edit*

Its kind of funny that you are trying to show all politicians lie, and then link to an article debunking supposed lies Obama made.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The point is: you can make anybody seem like a liar if you want to. It's easy. I won't bring up Biden, who tells audiences that his wife was killed by a drunk driver. Not true.

And you have no clue if Obama is competent or not. The last charismatic President wasn't.

7. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Unless you are proposing that nobody lies, then that statement is a cop out. It relieves you of any duty to seek the truth, and you refusal to acknowledge that one may be lying and one may be telling the truth either brings those who tell the truth down to the level of liars, or liars up to the level of the honest. Your position also refuses to acknowledge the difference between telling one lie and many; between a white lie and a giant one.

Where did I mention charisma when explaining how he was different from Palin?

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Nowhere. But it's the attribute always brought up. The press loves that about him. I find his self-satisfaction really off-putting, but then he reminds of a Canadian Prime Minister who was an absolute disaster. Good luck, folks, you'll need it.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The differences between them are unimaginably vast: she's an uninformed politician incapable of addressing issues beyond memorized stump speeches who ran her city with such incompetence to the point her own party had to instate an administartor to take on the majority of her executive duties, and later replaced the existing corruption and cronism with her own just so she could get out of a job she didn't like, subsequently removed programs from the state budget not knowing how essential they actually were so that the state had to reinstate them, but she was fine with that since she could claim to be anti-pork and is, in general, merely an opportunist, such as her favorite bridge. She's packed enough corruption into a timepsan so short it would make Nixon blush. She would never have risen to the national stage on her own merits and abilities had McCain's campaign not forced her upon him.

The differences between Obama and McCain could be argued to be not as significant. But Obama and Palin? The sun and a snowflake have more in common.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's all Palin. Nothing about Obama. They are both politicians. Which means they are both liars and opportunists. If you think not, then I admire/deplore your naivete.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Opportunistic? Perhaps. Liars? Maybe, but the question then remains: to what degree and with what intent?

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Quest, it's pointless to even try to reason here. Just leave it and be glad that Obama will more than likely be our next president.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You will get what you deserve, actually.

This sums up my feelings: Trish Durkin's Blog

Beware of charismatics. The one Canada elected put us in mountains of debt for 20 years.

14. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Look there, pal... You seriously should start paying attention to the overall picture. The woman has no business being the VP of the US, She didn't even know what the hell the job entailed until recently. All the information's out there. Not tryin' to convert you or anything, but at least know what you're talking about. Such as the difference between the size of States vs. the size of the population of that state, Which is what matters. Cuz seriously, what's she governing? Land? By the way California has the highest population and Alaska sits at number 48 out of 50....

I'm sure this will all be deleted anyway...

-T_S_R

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As opposed to the inarticulate one whose done about the same for us over the last 8 years? :p

I think you're letting your experience with a different politician from a different country cloud your view of him.

But I digress, this isn't the Senate. Back to SNL:

Haven't finished watching the episode yet, but it's been kind of a weak episode- though both MacGruber and, more importantly, Mark Wahlberg, have been fantastic.

Say hello to your mother for me.

EDIT- Finished watching the rest of the show, wow, "fartface" and beyond crashed and burned

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Your bookmark leads to a dead link.

Beware of charismatics. The one Canada elected put us in mountains of debt for 20 years.

Except that in truth, he's not really charismatic. He is, as Andrew Sullivan put it yesterday, pretty boring at heart. Should he win, we could have, as Sullivan suggested, a "wonderfully boring president." Obama is a very cautious man, yet willing to act boldly when he thinks the time is right. He has good advisors and the vast majority of his decisions over the past two years have been very smart ones. Obama has an even temperment, and nobody has ever reported his raising his voice or losing his temper on the campaign trail. This is a good thing.

No, Zaz, I think you're destined to be disappointed. He may not be the greatest president ever, should he win, but he'll be a marked improvement over the past eight years. I suspect he'll end up being a lot like George H.W. Bush, and that is a good thing in the end.

17. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998

You mean Trudeau?

Trudeau did a lot for the country. True, his pocketbook issues were not the best. And he deserves to be remembered for that fact much more than he is.

But then, those that came after Trudeau fared little better until Chretien took over. Who was in Trudeau's cabinet... and who Trudeau himself sadly underestimated. A true "I Claudius" if there ever was one.

EDIT: And MacGruber was awesome last night. Well, that is, the SECOND MacGruber was awesome. The third went rather too far.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It wasn't Chretien but Martin that finally paid up the deficit. And yes, I meant Trudeau. He was a disaster but people still love him. Ditto Kennedy. Go figure.

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Ha.

Like it matters who runs Canada.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Oh, it doesn't really matter who runs the States either; China is the new superpower...

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    What bold decisions? His decision to run for President after only 4 years in the Senate? His track record both as a Senator and Congressman is one of an old line democrat, votes with his party 97% of the time and is on particularly great terms with two of the parties biggest bases, trial lawyers and unions.

If you find his promised agenda if elected appealing, by all means vote for him. But I've seen nothing except some well delivered speeches that provide any evidence he is the brilliant leader you always make him out to be, KW.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Wasn't a great SNL. Opening was very good. The McGuyver parody was funny. Weekend Update was good but not great (I attribute that to Thursday episodes taking some of the jokes though).

Perhaps it's just me, but I can not stand that woman who is in most of the sketches. That stupid one where she got excited made me leave the room. I find she just beats a joke to death until it's no longer funny.

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I haven't watched SNL in so long...maybe because I know anything worthwhile will show up on You Tube.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, they probaby won't- NBC usually takes down the better SNL bits off of youtube (especially the Digital Shorts ala Lazy Sunday) ever since they put up the SNL video section on their website.

The woman you're referring to is Kristin Wiig- and she's actually pretty funny, but that isn't one of her better characters nor was it close to being even average for one of her skits. I suspect we'll be seeing her take center stage for awhile after Amy takes materity leave.

The show needs to give Bill Hader more to do, though. He's damn good, especially with impesonations (obviously that overlaps with Hammond's speciality though). I think the problem is most of his characters are one-offs instead of recurring characters like SNL wants. The only one that's seemingly stuck has been the Italian inetrviewer but that can be hit or miss. I really wish they'd do more Vincent Price Show skits- the first two were great.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I love their political stuff...it's generally very funny.