main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Live From the Chinese Line!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Here is a little background info: Back in 1999 I waited in line for the opening of The Phantom Menace at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood for 3 weeks with Countingdown.com. Our group, roughly 200 people, raised over $25,000 for the Starlight childrens foundation. I raised only $300 of that amount myself. This time I hope to do a little bit better. The way it works is that in order to even be a part of the line, you personally need to donate $50 to Starlight. Any additional money we raise from friends, buisness associates, etc. Also, in order to secure 4 tickets to the first showing of AOTC at the Chinese theatre at midnight you need to put in 60 hours in the "line."

Last night was my first time in line this time around. People have been there since April 4th. One guy even has 300 line hours logged already. I was in line only 5 hours last night as it took me 3 1/2 hours to drive up there. They are offering "double-hours" thru thursday so at least those 5 hours count as 10. So I only need to put in another 50 hours to secure my 4 tickets for AOTC. The more hours you log, the closer to the front of the line you get however. I don't care as long as I am in the two-digit range. There are roughly 2,000 seats in the Chinese and every seat is good, so I won't have trouble getting a good seat.

When I got there last night there were only three people in line, Josh from Modesto, Shane from San Francisco, and Eric from LA. (They were all in the Episode 1 line as well). If was kind of cold and drizzly but the company was good and we talked all night long. Around 9 pm 3 couples joined us so that now we had a group of 10. One couple (Noel and Cally) came all the way from Alaska for the line.

We bring our folding chairs and set them up at the pay phones at the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Orange. The payphones number is on the main page of LiningUp if you would like to call. Someone usually answers the phone by saying "Liningup!"

Passersby always ask us what we are doing there. We tell them we are waiting in line for Star Wars. Then the next question is always, "When does it come out?" We tell them May 16th and you should see their reactions to that, it is really hysterical. Most people will come by and mention that they have seen us on TV and wish us well. Others will come over and tell us to "get a life" etc. We then explain that we are raising money for the Starlight Children's foundation and they quickly change their mind about us. Radio, TV, newspapers, documentarians are always showing up to interview us, film us etc. And being right on Hollywood blvd. is really entertaining in itself. There are a lot of strange characters walking by. Last night I was serenaded by an Elvis Impersonator to the song, "Are you lonesome tonight." Another man who lives in an Apartment complex nearby cooked us up a great dinner of rice and stir-fry steak. This happens all the time, people come by with food donations etc. The police are constantly driving by keeping watch on us. They remember us from 3 years ago. Late at night they will drive by on their loud-speakers and say funny things like, "Luke... I am your father." Over the police loudspeaker it sounds just like Vader. LOL!

I will post on this thread each time I go to the line and tell you of my "Adventures in Hollywood: Live from the Line!" ;)

2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Damn, that sounds like fun. Too bad I'm so busy. :(

Do you want us to call you while you're in line? ?[face_plain]

3. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I'd love to get a call! I'll post when I'm driving up there again, probably this weekend sometime. :)

4. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    Sounds like great fun! I wish I could go. Stupid school and not having a car...
    Anyway, have fun while you're up there!

5. Young_Kenobi

Young_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2001
    you know I did just loss my job....hummmmmm ?[face_plain]

6. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Well... I drove up to the line Saturday afternoon. It was great weather this weekend, not drizzly like last time. I had a great time in line! I spent a little time doing the "tourist thing" at the Chinese Theatre looking at all the footprints, especially those of Harrison Ford and R2D2 and C3PO. I also explored the new Hollywood and Highland indoor mall that is right by the line.

Right before I left tonight, both Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore drove up in matching black Porshe Carreras and waved to the line! How cool is that? :D That was the second time Cameron Diaz has come by the line. I got quite a few interesting phone calls this weekend as well. The phone number for our line telephone is listed on the main page of www.liningup.net and one call I received was from Okinawa Japan. I also recieved several calls from radio stations around the country. One radio station offerred me $1,000 in cash immediately to get "out of line" and not see Episode II. Then kept increasing the amount to $1,500, then to $2,000 and I told them there is no way I wouldn't see the movie, not for any amount! (Are you proud of me?) ;)

I am looking forward to getting in line next Friday night, especially if some of you intend to come visit me next Saturday! :D I'll be back here Sunday though as it looks like that is when our 3rd meeting will take place, and then we will be official! :D

7. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Mmmmmm...Cameron Diaz. [face_love]

8. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Oh, I forgot to mention. A large group from the Arizona line (Fan Force) came out to the Chinese Line this weekend for a visit. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.