Saga Live Without Her?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JoeyArnold, Nov 20, 2012.

?

How was Anakin or Darth Vader able to live after Padme died?

He was in love with power more than he was in love with Padme 2 vote(s) 13.3%
He was going to find a way to resurrect Padme using the dark side 3 vote(s) 20.0%
He was secretly gay and so in love with Darth Sidious 5 vote(s) 33.3%
He still wanted to be the greatest jedi or sith lord oever 5 vote(s) 33.3%
he was too much of a wimp to die 2 vote(s) 13.3%
he wanted to find a way to get his revenge on Sidious 3 vote(s) 20.0%
he was too scared of Sidious to walk away 5 vote(s) 33.3%
The conflict inside kept him from being decisive 3 vote(s) 20.0%
The Vader suite disabled him from the ability to commit suicide 3 vote(s) 20.0%
He thought that Padme or his kid or kids were still alive: he wanted to meet his kid someday. 2 vote(s) 13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston_Sith Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the key in any of this is: never to say that you "can't live without" someone/anyone, because eventually, you'll be proven (tragically?) wrong... or you'll die of a broken heart like Padme. Anyway... there's no way to really know.
  2. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    He just listened to good advice from Rowlf:
    DarthRelaxus likes this.
  3. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    must be something to do with the skywalker name.....
    DarthRelaxus likes this.
  4. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    it's entertaining isn't it.

and that picture is really creepy.
  5. JoeyArnold Jedi Knight

star 3

No. I know that. But Vader first says that the force is strong with Luke. The next film follows with him revealing to Luke that he is his father. When did Vader first know Luke's last name? In A New Hope, Luke was a brand new pilot for the Rebel Alliance. So, I am guessing that Luke was not on the world wide web for Vader to look up his last name at.I had the impression that the force must have told Vader that Luke was his son. But then Vader is not able to tell that Leia was also a kid of his as well. If it was just the last name, then they did a pretty bad job at trying to hide Luke from Vader. They should have changed his last name like they did for Leia.
  6. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    In the EU, he learned it during the three years, It depends on the source.
  7. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I would wager that after the destruction of the Death Star, the Empire would use any channels necessary to find out the name of the Rebel who caused its destruction. Vader would be especially interested in that information after sensing Luke's power in the Force, and that information of that nature couldn't be too hard to come by if you know where to look. If anything, learning the name of Luke Skywalker probably would have only confirmed what he already suspected after sensing how great Luke's power was. After all, it couldn't be a coincidence that Luke appeared so soon after Kenobi came out of hiding.
    Last edited by Mystery_Roach, Nov 28, 2012
  8. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    In the later versions of Empire Strikes Back, while Vader refers to "Skywalker" at the beginning of the movie, his reaction to the Emperor's announcement that "I have no doubt that this boy is the son of Anakin Skywalker" is to ask "How is this possible?"

Not the reaction of somebody who's known from the beginning of the movie that "Skywalker" is his son.

While he could be faking, the EU says he isn't.
  9. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    If that's the case then why does it say in the opening crawl that Vader is "obsessed with finding young Skywalker"? Leaving the EU aside, it seems very clear to me in the movie that he knows from the beginning that Luke is his son.
  10. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    He can be "obsessed with Skywalker" for other reasons than "He thinks Skywalker is his son". Not least of which is Skywalker being strong in the Force, and destroying the Death Star.

If Lucas had wanted us to think Vader knew from the beginning of ESB (and an unknown amount before that)- then he wouldn't have changed the dialogue.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Nov 28, 2012
  11. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    To me that dialogue is an indication that he is indeed lying to the Emperor. If he knows that the young rebel, who appeared at the same time Obi-Wan Kenobi came out of hiding, is strong with the Force, and that his name is Luke Skywalker, then why wouldn't he be able to easily infer that Luke is his son?
  12. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Because he knows that Padme is dead- and has leapt to the assumption that her child died with her. (remember they had to operate to ensure the children didn't die).
  13. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Which is why he never sought Luke out earlier. Upon realizing that Luke was alive, he became obsessed with finding him. If you watch TESB with this in mind, then Vader's motivations in that movie become much more interesting IMO. Lying to Palpatine indicates that he's been keeping this knowledge a secret from him, but to what end? Vader was determined to find Luke at all costs, putting that obsession above all other concerns. The knowledge that his son was alive stirred up something inside him and gave him a glimpse of hope that all was not lost of his former life and the family he thought he had lost. Viewed from that perspective, it becomes some really powerful drama.
  14. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Perhaps. And asking a rhetorical question "How is that possible?" is not the same as an outright "I had no idea" lie. Still, while it's an interesting reading, the tie-in book writer seems to think otherwise, and may (or may not) be getting instructions from Lucas on that subject. Ryder Windham, who wrote that book, has written quite a few Star Wars reference books.
  15. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Just out of curiosity, what tie-in book are you referring to?
  16. -NaTaLie- Force Ghost

star 4
    I also see it as Vader lying to his master. If even Palpatine, who's never met Luke, thinks he's the son of Anakin Skywalker, than it would be strange indeed if the man himself hadn't realized it.
  17. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Ryder Windham's The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader- basically includes a lot of scenes from the movies, plus the occasional in-between scene. It can be interesting to see what happened between Anakin's death and him coming back as a Force Ghost. Or to see the various movie scenes from Vader's point of view.

Another is The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi . Whereas A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker is more spread out- focusing much more on events outside of the movies.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Nov 28, 2012
  18. Roberto Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If I had a woman like Natalie Portman then lost her I'd go crazy for a month or two but I wouldn't turn evil. As for Anakin yeah it's all explained in the movies already
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.