main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds about right- I wouldn't have expected either system to launch after Black Friday (in the US at least).

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Black Friday is going to be really crazy this year. Don't think they announced any additional SKUs, aside from bundles with a game or PS+ included.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Kind of tempted to preorder now, but I think I'll wait until after the Xmas rush.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't preorder or even buy something on Day One. The closest I have ever come was acquiring Halo 4 on Black Friday last year for my birthday the following week. I am still so out of touch with how things work nowadays, I still haven't got around to getting into internet on consoles, so I basically feel like I have half a game with most games I have, save Halo Wars, Black Ops II, and, of course, Skyrim.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone here play P.T.?

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The Missus has greenlit me for next gen, which one do you recommend I go for

X box One or PS4?

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Sony's PlayStation 4 once again beat its competitors, Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Wii U, in terms of console sales for the seventh straight month. According to Sony, they led Microsoft by a "considerable margin," with Jitendra Waral, a Bloomberg Intelligence analyst, stating that Sony sold double the number of PlayStation 4 units in July compared to Microsoft's 5 million units of Xbox One sold during the month.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    PS4 does have a clear and significant lead in sales, with Wii U in second while the XB1 currently matches or falls just under the Wii U's rate of sales.

So the other two will be duking it out for the next couple years while PS4 maintains a healthy gap.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think you should get a PS4 but I think you should wait until the end of the current Japanese fiscal year. Consider: most must-own next gen games are arriving in 2015, and you'll know if Sony will be around a couple more years then.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think PS4 is selling well right now, 10 million sold was announced at Gamescom, though you will need Playstation Plus, Sony's subscription service, to play online (though it also comes with a free game or two for all of Sony's systems every month). I have one and like it a bit, but honestly, most of the must-have games right now are still a ways off.

Also depends on if you care about Halo or not, but otherwise, most things are multiplatform these days. I liked a lot of PS3 franchises so I moved onto PS4, but both next-gen systems are still expanding their libraries.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Halo is very much an I don't care.

Hoping for a GTA 6 down the line which I know will be on both. As it's still a new system I know that the best games are still a while off but I'll be after something that the kids can play (10 & 8) and Watchdogs to get me going.

What are the games to look out for right now and what is in the pipeline that worth monitoring?

I already have GTA 5 and The last of us on PS3 and doubt I'll buy them again just for the better graphics.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    This is the most useless reply ever, but I heard in the last week or so about a recently-announced big name Xbox One exclusive that made me think that I would put my money that way once I got the green light myself ;)

14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I love my Xbox One. But admittedly, I love it for the multimedia features more than anything else. It's just very convenient having a centralized media hub that can be controlled by voice, smartphone, PC, etc.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    the 10 million sales mark almost makes me feel bad for microsft almost.

16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

The PS4 will do media too, and has smartphone control.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Purchase made today!

have to keep secret from kids until Christmas though

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Little early for Christmas shopping don't ya think? :p

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    They've been told they can't have one till they've saved the cash to get one. I found one on eBay for a steal today so bought in advance for me.

We bought them a tv for Christmas today too so the ps3 will go in their room later in the year.

//Prepared parent

20. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Does anyone know off-hand if the copy of Destiny you get with the PS4 Destiny Bundle (the white PS4 one) is a copy that can be sold back to Gamestop?

I honestly have not the slightest bit of interest in Destiny, but I do really want the white PS4. If I can sell back Destiny to Gamestop and recoup a few bucks, I'd love to do that. My concern is that the copy of Destiny is a "not packaged for resale" kind of deal, like when you buy bulk of individually-packaged food products at Sam's Club. I guess I could just eBay it, but I prefer the ease of just returning it to GameStop even if I don't get anywhere near full price.

21. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Gamestop will take it, just make sure you open the case up because they don't take unopened games for some reason.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably to avoid people from trading in re-shrinkwrapped empty cases.

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    GTA V for PS4 is released on Tuesday. I have it on PS3 but the graphical update and first person perspective has me very tempted.

Anyone else going for it??

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I shall be buying it, yep. Have never played it because I assumed there would be a next-gen port. The decision between first or third person is an incredibly hard one for me. I'm used to GTA in third-person but the trailer made first-person look so immersive!

25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Good call. Thanks for the info.