main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Living in US

Discussion in 'Community' started by 3sm1r, Jun 18, 2018.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    No, but I've done similar things...
    I'm glad you find them cool but, honestly, most of the activities advertised are just about overselling normal stuff.
    Take number 11 for example. They show off because you can rent a bike. Lol it's just a bike haha.
    The "Jet d'eau" in Gva... it's nothing more than what you can see in the picture. A water jet. End of the story.
    And why would I go trekking with a llamas? [face_dunno]

My god, if I obtain the position I would be 60 Km from Nyc. I could recognize the zones seen in Woody Allen's movies, and CSI, Sex and the city etc. etc. [face_dancing][face_dancing]
    Some friends of mine who went there told me that they saw Lucy Liu.
    And Central park, and gyms and libraries that are still open at 3 am !

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are you a buff, homeless serial rapist?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    My God, we are already working on you. Please God, make it stop! :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    3sm1r likes this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty skinny and I don't touch women without permission but yeah, with the homeless part you might end up to be right in few months.

Diggy likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't worry! I have it on good authority that the homeless in the US live like kings compared to their European counter parts.

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I is kissing you

Diggy likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Diggy you've got to stop using J-Rod as a source.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Welcome to America! Lose your innocence or your shirt.

@Diggy , you've been reading Trump's speeches I see.

Juliet316 , Diggy and 3sm1r like this.
  9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hi, um... Esmir? I'm gonna go with Esmir. America isn't as exciting as you think, although NYC has some nice food and shows if you're rich.

I spend way too much time on Quora talking to people about differences between the US and Europe. So ask some more questions and I will be happy to answer.

Definitely hope you get health insurance through your employer. If you don't, absolutely buy some off the shelf. Even if it just covers catastrophic incidents, it really is important to have.

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Correct :)

Maybe I'm idealizing a little, but I believe that you feel more "into the world" there. In Switzerland I have the feeling that important things are always happening somewhere else and I'm just watching them from a peripheral region.
    Ok, while I'm writing it I'm realizing how dumb it sounds :oops:
    I'll save my questions for the moment in which I'll know for sure whether I'm actually going there, but thanks for your availability!

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But you're around Lugano or Mendrisio, right? I mean, you'd see a different in Zurich too.

NY is beautiful, amazing to visit but if you come from a country with a social democratic tradition it's very confronting. It's not very accommodating to the less fortunate or able. There are so many homeless military veterans a block or two from the unbridled luxury of Park Ave or the boutiques of 5th Ave. It's really hard to quantify beyond just a visceral feeling that it's a city without a sense of society or community binding it together. SJ is right; don't romanticise it too much.

solojones, Point Given and 3sm1r like this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm living closer to Lausanne and Geneva.
    Are you Swiss?

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, one of my best friends and legally non-binding siblings was living in Lausanne for a while, with her Italian husband. They moved to Barbizon whilst he did his MBA at Insead; and now they're in Turin.

I am, in fact, familiar with being on the periphery of a bustling world by living in the antipodes - Australia.

3sm1r likes this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nice coincidence: Turin is my hometown. I've spent my whole life there before coming here.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's good advice concerning the romanticizing of an area. My wife couldn't wait to move to Philadelphia with me three years ago, now she hates it here - the amount of people, the traffic, the homeless, the trash, the smell -- I just had to go where the jobs were and middle of nowhere Pennsylvania didn't have those opportunities. Even living in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, which has plenty of jobs, was very difficult to find something in my career path.

I think you'll like it here and I have friends in New York that love it so I hope you enjoy it too. Of course to echo solojones we're all here to help in anyway possible once you get here and settled. There is so much to do that you'll never be bored especially if you're living in the city. Personally we've moved farther away from Center City Philadelphia as there are nicer and cheaper places to live, but the downside is the longer commute.

My friend Jeremy who lives in New York is moving 5 miles south of his current location of Madison Ave. He's adding 20 minutes onto his commute. In some quieter areas, 5 miles = 5 minutes, but not in any city.

anakinfansince1983 , 3sm1r and MrZAP like this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

I watched their video was "What not to wear" as an American tourist in Europe, and I pretty did all of those "what not to do" especially wearing the baseball hat thing.

I suppose if you are coming to America, you can watch that video and to the reverse thingie as to "What to wear in the US."

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    On the other hand, if you have children, leave them at home with relatives. Or complete strangers. Or let them fend for themselves. Still better than what could happen to them in the US.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The McCanns agree.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    EDIT: Eh.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I got the position! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

I'm so happy I'm dancing without music[face_party][face_party]

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

this is probably a good movie, but i haven't seen it

anyway, congratulations!

Juliet316 and 3sm1r like this.
  22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Congratulations. You will now find out if America was everything you hoped it would be or everything you wished it wasn't. :)

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It is a good movie, and you need to see it.

Congratulations @3sm1r !

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Strangely enough, I wrote it here before telling it to my parents [face_laugh]
    Thank you @heels1785 !!
    Thank you @anakinfansince1983 ;)
    I love Eddie Murphy, but I've only watched the movie in which he's poor and two wall street men make him suddenly become rich for a bet. In Italy it's called "Una poltrona per due". I'll watch that one too.

I have a very good feeling about this. Maybe I'm romanticizing. Yeah, I guess I am! [face_flag][face_flag]

Juliet316 , heels1785 and ShaneP like this.
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hope you're not a muslim. or like, tan.