main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Lobo Football

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by jedijason330, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Aggie fans, I'd be happy to start a NMSU Sports thread over at Southern NM. ;) (Although it's certainly and admittedly more fun coming in here and antagonizing, it's probably best not to start anything). :D

2. Lord_Melkor

Lord_Melkor Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2005
    jaina, that i have learned...i am reforming myself to being more pc towards unm...in albuquerque if you're not pro unm you are wrong...

3. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    I realize we will never compete for anything big, we just will never have the talent, but it's a whole lot better than it was around here during the 80's and early 90's!

4. jedijason330

jedijason330 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Man, I start a Lobo thread, disappear for the weekend, and it turns into a Lobo bashing thread.

My response to the Aggie fans here. As was stated earlier: look at our average attendance compared to yours. When was the last time you guys had reason to get excited for a bowl game? Which school has to play money games at opponents that they have no chance at winning? You guys were 5-6 last year in the pathetic Sun Belt Conference. How do you guys expect to get better playing better teams in the WAC every week?

That's all I've got for now. Still, I hope you guys have a good season, even though it is a long shot.

GO LOBOS!

5. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005
    You da man Jason!!

6. Andromeda13

Andromeda13 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2005
    I don't know about being wrong per se, but UNM is located in Albuquerque, and that might have something to do with the fact that most people here are going to be UNM fans?

7. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    I've got nothing wrong with Aggie fans here. It's easier to make fun of them and their pathetic teams when I see them every day.

8. Lord_Melkor

Jun 15, 2005
    i can take a bashing for what it is worth...it is a part of sports all the trash talking...i dish therefore i take...it's all good...give it to me all year but for reasons i will not bash the lobos on this site anymore...some take it too seriously...may the lobos have a good season...on a side note...i do respect what rocky long has done w/the program...he is a helluva lot better than mike shephard was and francionne kinda jumped ship for $$$...at least rocky's heart is here when he could make more money at a bigger school.

Lobos rock

9. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    I still go for the Aggies since they are an in-state team. I would be good if they were to get good. Our games would be better, and they would look better on the schedules.

10. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005
    bashing each others team is what makes a rivalry go. If we didn't talk trash to each other. It wouldn't mean anything come gameday

11. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    OK. aggies SUCK!

12. Lord_Melkor

Jun 15, 2005
    jedi, tell me something i dont know...at least for unm football...they will reverse roles w/the aggies when basketball comes around...no granger = no wins

our football prgram is terminally ill and has been for a while...hopefull mumm will change things around, kinda funny i was thinking the same thing about 8 years ago when tony samuels took over...oh well

13. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    What do you mean no wins? We'll probably end up back in the Big Dance this season.

14. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Thanks JainaByrd! I thought it might be a better place to have an Aggie thread down there anyway...

And to all Lobo fans, sorry this was not meant to be a basher thread, just some light-hearted all-in-good-fun trash talking...believe me, there's not much to brag about in the Aggies football arena - and hopefully our hoops will be better than last year as well....[face_praying]

15. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005
    It's all in good fun!:)

16. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    Your right, it's all fun. I'll have to go to the Southern NM boards and bug you guys after we beat you on the 17th next month.

17. WomackD

WomackD Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2003
    Things would have been alot better for the Aggies and New Mexico State, if the Mountain West Conference (and the WAC of old) would have let that School into the conference.

In the years since, the Aggies have gone from one pathetic conference to another. It's a shame, their Hoops program (like UNM's) used to be a top notch program. Remember when the Aggies beat the vaunted UNLV Rebels that had Larry Johnson and the rest of those future NBA players?

It is interesting to see the Aggies get games against California, Georgia and Arkansas. Why aren't the Lobos getting these types of games? Even Wyoming is playing the Gators this year! Are those schools looking for "cup cakes" to pad their schedule? If so, UNM should feel good about their program if they are not on that list anymore but as fans, it would be fun to watch. However, I remeber a Lobo game vs. Nebraska when I was a kid.. Now that was an ugly day for Lobo fans.

18. Lord_Melkor

Jun 15, 2005
    womack...a big reason the aggies played hopscotch from independent to big west to sunbelt was that the wac did not want them in the conference (at least the old wac)...that is the story on that...on the football schedule, the aggies, with their limited funding on football, play money games to bring revenues into the program...this is why you see the games against top caliber teams like georgia, texas, florida state of the college football world...i even remember when nmsu played against arizona state (a ranked team) in mesa and beat them...i also think that was nmsu's last .500+ season...we even played texas hard for a quarter 2-3 years ago and can boast of a lead, 7-0, against florida state...why unm plays a cupcake schedule i have my opinions one being that the fanbase does not like to lose therefore the easy games however they then complain about not getting quality opponents and therefore complain about that (vicious cycle)...i think it is worse w/mens basketball...

anyways, GO LOBOS!!!

19. WomackD

WomackD Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2003
    womack...a big reason the aggies played hopscotch from independent to big west to sunbelt was that the wac did not want them in the conference (at least the old wac)...that is the story on that...

Isn't that exactly what I said?

20. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
  21. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    I would love to see the Lobos play at least one really big name team every year, but it does not look like that is going to happen anytime soon. I've seen their non-conference schedules for the next few years, and we play Missouri, UTEP, and NMSU next year. After that, Arizona, UTEP, Tulsa, and NMSU. I had heard that we might possibly be going to LA to play USC one of these years. Probably just a bad rumor.

22. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    MONGO LIKE FOOTBALL

23. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    The NMSU thread has begun! I'm not very good at talking trash about football, but at least our marching band isn't "pathetic" like the eensy weensy little Spirit. :p Can't we all get along and work on bashing UTEP? :p ;)

24. jedijason330

Jul 11, 2005
    Talk to you all later. It will be hit and miss for me here for a couple of weeks.

GO LOBOS!!!

25. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Let's all get along and bash all marching bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.