main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii Local Fan Film Cancelled/Postponed until I can relocate...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Crimsus, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimsus

Crimsus Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2004
    I am most unhappy to announce my local fan film has been cancelled. Sorta.

Here's the scoop:
    After 5 months of filming, we were ready to do some of our final action sequences over by North Shore. Everyone showed up and we began to set up our equipment. It was around 5:20PM with "magic hour" giving us some good background. Everyone got together near the first action shot location for a group huddle. We had a few folks watching us, which we thought was cool, until it took a turn for the worst. A few of the local teens decided to get out of their cars and grab whatever they could.

We lost the following:
    One Canon XL2
    Two Canon GL2's
    One Laptop

We got the license plates and called it in. I was especially expedient in calling the cops since the two GL2's were mine. The cops arrived, took our info, we gave them the license plate numbers.

3 weeks later I received the phone call from the police station. They caught two of the teens (there were 5 of them total). They said they thought someone "left" the equipment (even though we were only maybe 5 yards away) there and so they took it and gave it to some friends that they can't find now and apparently the equipment was sold. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but at least two of five were caught. Those of us who were responsible for having the two teens (they were both 19 though, so not minors) caught came to court with my attorney. My attorney presented my sales receipts for the cameras. The two teens plead guilty. The judge asked them for the names of their friends that they gave my cameras to and now they suddenly didn't recall their friends names. The judge gave each of them a sentence of 6 months probation and $2174 restitution each to make up for the cameras. 9 days later I called the detective to ask a simple question when I received the even worse news. Apparently the two teens are now "gone". I asked if the police were going to search for them and the response was this, "I'm sorry Sir, but even if we did catch them we can only fine them and increase the fines they would have to pay. There isn't enough room in the jail for them and there are other more serious cases on the books that need the cells at the jail."

Here is where everything goes terribly sour. I did some research into the teens that took my cameras and the detective that was working the case. The teens had THREE priors for attempted grand theft auto. The detective had several successful cases, as a matter of fact, he was only involved in 7 cases that the criminals ended up "at large". In the cases that were successful, all of the individuals (prosecution and defendants) were local Hawai'ians. Of the only cases he lost, the people who had filed the cases were not Hawai'ian.

Bottomline, I have no love for Hawaii whatsoever. I cannot wait to get out of here. Whenever I hear someone say "Aloha" I want to deck them. I never had a problem like this in my life and of all the places like Hawai'i, that is supposed to be a friendly place to live, I am faced with one of the largest examples of corruption and prejudice I have ever seen.

Luckily for the fan film my next place of residence also has a beach, but I am highly confident I will not have to worry about corruption or prejudice from the local law enforcement.

-Crimsus

2. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Crimsus,

I am sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience here in Hawai'i. It truly saddens me. I love my home. For reasons I'm guessing you'd understand, I wish everyone would love my home, too.

However, considering the unhappy circumstances you have endured here, I can understand why you feel the way you do.

Perhaps telling your story to local news stations may help in some way. I don't know. In any case, as a local, I feel bad that your experiences here were negative.

In any case, I wish you the best for whereever it is that you next choose to call home.

May the Good Side of the Force be with you.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

3. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    The dark side is everywhere, even here. But the light side of the force is here, also, and shines brighter than the dark side. It's just the dark side inflicts pain, suffering, and loss. It could have happened anywhere in the world, but it happened to you here. My apologies and condolences. May the light side of the force be with you always. [face_praying] [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.