Local Healthclubs - Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Tucson, AZ' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey all.

I just came back from hearing yet another story of someone who purchased a membership to a local health club that went out of business the next day. The club reopened with a different name, told the person they'd honor their membership and then said a week later they couldn't but they would offer a free facial.

I used to work for this particular health club and know that they are not reputable. :(

However, I'd like to say this with all of the health clubs out there:

2. If you join, don't take the option to pay everything up front

3. Opt to pay month to month. If you save money from a bank draft or automatic payment, consider that they might add charges to your membership that you never authorized. It has happened. There was a widely publicized case a few years ago that proved one club was adding charges to people's membership that they never incurred

4. Get a "right to cancel" clause in your contract. You as the client have the right to cancel at anytime and for any reason.

5. If possible, don't purchase a membership "on the spot". Tell them you'll come back

6. I've seen more healthclubs come and go in Tucson. There are a few that are good and have had staying power but again, be really careful.

I'm glad to answer any questions about this. And if BrotherHalo, JGoC or Cat don't think this thread is appropriate, feel free to lock it. :)

7. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't mind our members posting warnings on our Tucson forum in the least.. I would think it goes toward community awareness.
  8. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I could be seen as a bitter ex-employee but I just hate seeing people get ripped off.
  9. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think I'll be joining a HEalth club any time soon (taps is belly, jiggling like a bowl full of jelly), but thatns for the heads up.

:)
  10. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
  11. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
  12. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    you left yourself wide open on that one.
  13. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yup, I walked right into that pun
  14. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OMG! I've got a Santa hat that says I've been Naughty. Must put it on the Jawa! :D
  15. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    that deserves a picture :)
  16. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, Hey.... remember it all "Mine, Mine, Mine!"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.