main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Locking TTT trailer threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jeff 42, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't mind stamping out redundant trailer threads. I don't think anyone here is contesting that. But the point is not a single one has been allowed to survive, redundant or otherwise.

2. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    But the point is not a single one has been allowed to survive, redundant or otherwise.

As we have already explained, they have been locked because threads discussing the new trailer are redundant in the face of the pre-existing TTT thread, which is already discussing the trailer.

3. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Durr. They talk about it there because you've locked every goddamn thread that's been started about it. What about the people who don't go into that thread? I'm a LOTR fan, I don't go into the Two Towers thread on anything resembling a regular basis, and I didn't know there was a new trailer until the third or fourth trailer thread had already been locked.

Is the logic seeping in yet? [face_plain]

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm sorry BYOB, but if someone can't seem to get their brain around going into the LOTR: The Two Towers...Countdown and Discussion Thread to discuss the trailer there's very little we can do for them, except perhaps offer them a lolly.

Or am I missing something... Durr.

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    We get what you are saying. But this isn't a LOTR board. We do not need a thread every time a new trailer pops up as we have a LOTR thread suitable for the topic.

~*~Bria

6. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah, you missed a big one, farraday.

Bria: It's also not a Buffy board, it's not a Harry Potter board, it's not a X-Files board, it's not a M. Night Shyamalan board, it's not a Red Green board, it's not a X Men board, it's not a James Bond board, it's not a NASCAR board, it's not a Sesame Street board, it's not a Farscape board, it's not a Ghostbusters board, it's not a Mystery Science Theater 3000 board, it's not a Monty Python board, it's not a Smallville board, it's not an Enterprise board, it's not a Superman board, it's not a Pearl Jam board, and it's not an "Amanda Dowler is dead, boo hoo boo hoo :_| :_| :_|" board. That's just the first two pages. Want me to keep going, or is the logic seeping in yet?

7. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm sorry BYOB, but I don't see why the JC should be responsible because you didn't realize there was a LOTR: TTT trailer.

Of course, silly old me doesn't see why it's needful to create multiple threads to do what one thread can do.

8. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't know who you think said those things, but it sure as hell wasn't me.

Nice sarcasm, though.

9. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    You know what? Nevermind. I don't give a crap anymore. The opportunity to actually make any headway has passed a long time ago.

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/27.jpg]
    Good job.

10. Otter in my Shorts

Otter in my Shorts Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2000
    I disagree with the administration on this.

As one of those who is a supporter of JMT-Lo's huge Community reform package, (which JMT-Lo obviously worked long and hard on), I think a new TTT trailer discussion should be allowed. Then again, I think another Slacker Council social thread should be allowed too, such as a "Gundark's Big Gay House" social thread, where "gay" means "happy".

Seriously, LOTR:TTT is where the action is at. Until some Episode 3 insiders start giving us tidbits in Spoilers Allowed forum, LOTR is gonna be where it's at and where it should be at is in Community. Much love to Jeff 42 and BuyYourOwnBeer_Kenobi for representin LOTR!

I PUSH RHYMES LIKE WEIGHT!

11. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Come on guys. It's something relating to the film, thus it goes to the thread discussing the film. Any discussion on the trailer will turn to discussion of the movie as a whole, eventually. I was slightly annoyed when the thread closed as well, but I think I see their point.

Still not too sure about the stand on ROTK though. This is a different movie, with different set of changes. Since many people in the TTT thread don't want spoilers, I do feel a thread for ROTK has a much better case than threads for the TTT trailer.

My two cents :D

12. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Yes, I am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings movies. I have been a fan of the books for over 6-7 years, and have waited that long for the movie.

Now, I do post in The Two Towers Disscussion thread. Although, I do feel as the the trailer threads on the movie should be re-directed to the Official Disscussion thread. If you have ever been into the thread more than a few days after the Trailer has been released, you will see that there is a lot of disscussion on the new trailer just released.

Like the current one, I went into the thread to talk about it, and I saw posts about the trailer, and the things we saw in it (Treebeard, ect.). That is why I think the threads posted about the trailer should be taken to there, because thats where it is being disscussed.

Now you could have it as the Official Disscussion thread was only for the movie, and no for any of the new trailers out. Just a countdown, pictures and things on the books/movies. But that wouldn't make sense, because the biggest part of what we know about the up-coming movie, is from the trailers. The current one, released to AOL Members on Tuesday, was 3:03.7 Seconds long. It was later released to everyone, being about to download it on Quicktime or Real-One Player. It did, as I said before released a lot of new topics about the movie to disscuss, and don't get me wrong, it is a disscussion on the movie.

Well, that is just my opinions on the subject, for what it matters. I am not a Moderator, so I don't really have any say on the final decision, so hey ;)

Personally, I just beleive all disscussion related to the up-coming movie should be taken part in the disscussion thread, plain and simple.

13. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Would allowing one thread just for the trailer really hurt anyone? It's one more thread in Community, it's a drop in the bucket. If the LOTR thread is big enough to warrant a second thread specifically on the trailer, I don't see what the big deal is.

14. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    No, it doesn't really hurt the YJCC (Your Jedi Council Community). There are plenty other ones, and plenty more to come. Although, I think it should be kept in the Disscussion thread, but wouldn't hurt if it wasn't.

15. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I'll tell you one thing. I sure didn't expect to be demoted over this crap.

16. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with B'omarr. Anyway, I think it might not be a bad idea to have two different discussion threads- one spoiler-free and one not.

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Exactly what is the point of a spoiler free thread?

To discuss what might happen in a story over half a decade old?

Anyone not aware that the Lord of the Rings is based on a series of books decades old is an idiot or completely oblivious.

If the book was recently released, if it wasn't so true to the books, then then there might be some small sliver of reason for a spoiler free thread.

But there isn't. If you don't want to know what happens in the story avoid going into a thread about it.

18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    farraday, you're greatly overestimating the literacy of today's youth. The average LOTR movie fan has not read the book(s), you have to know that. Not that I care if there's a spoiler thread or not, I'm just trying to bring a little reality into this discussion.

19. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a non-spoiler TTT thread. People would have to realize that it wouldn't be modded like it was the Episode III NS.

Not everyone has read the book, and they may want to discuss what they think is going to happen. But, maybe that's just me?

20. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I don't know why this thread has gone on so long. There are like 4 threads on the new Bond film, 2 or 3 on the new Trek. Let the LOTR people have a couple. Maybe it'll keep them out of the movie forums.

21. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    PB I dare say everyone on this board is in atleast minorly literate.

But I concede the point they may have not read LotR, however that doesn't change the fact that a spoiler free thread is ludicrous.

I wonder, would we have had a spoiler free thread for the movie Gettysburg? Are we allowed to mention Anakin turns into Darth Vader in NSA?

22. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I don't know farraday, jeez. Why do you care so much if they have a spoiler thread? And I'd hardly compare those examples with LOTR, I don't care how old the book is. I for one didn't read the last book. I don't know what happens at the end. If I cared about LOTR, maybe I'd want a non-spoiler thread.

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    If you cared about LotR you'd probably have read the book.

I would rank this right up there with someone who wanted to see A New Hope for the first time and got upset about seeing spoilers in the CT board.

The knowledge of what happens is wide spread and pervasive throughout the fanbase, the creation of a spoiler free thread to protect those people who want to... hell I don't even know what they want.(has anyone claimed to be spoiler free til LotR 3 and wanting a spoiler free thread?)

All I can think of that could possibly be said in a LotR spoiler frree thread is "it's gonna be awesome!" quickly folloed by a degeneration into a social thread where some weirdo newbie starts talking about the walnut's he's been breeding or something.

24. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Well you seem to be a lot more passionate about this than me. All I'm saying is that for the vast majority of the younger LOTR fans, these are movies, not books and not everyone likes to read the book before the film. There are a lot of people who don't know what's going to happen and may not want to know. That's all I'm saying.

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a matter of principle.

I don't see any reason to pretend that the story hasn't been told, nor that any group of those who don't want to know want a spoiler free thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.