main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Lockouts: Will They Happen?

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Nov 27, 2010.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    LOL that blog is run by a former roommate of mine. Awesome.

EDIT: Oh, right, lockouts...yeah they shouldn't happen I like those sports too much. Plus the NFL is making a bajillion dollars every twenty seconds, and if they lockout Keanu Reeves will have to play quarterback like in that movie or something. And he should just be busy being Ted. Don't do that, NFL.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Without knowing too much about either situation, I think a lockout would be a disaster for either league, but is probably more likely to happen with the NBA than the NFL. And it would be worse for the NBA.

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Honestly, I'd be surprised if the NFL had a lockout. Sure, there's a lot of disagreement between the NFLPA and the NFL right now, but historically things get done with less than 100 days left before a lockout would occur. Part of me sorta wants an NFL lockout, though. I really don't like the idea of an 18-game schedule, and the NFL needs to figure out this whole head-shot situation, and figure out how to consistently and fairly officiate that in games.

I don't follow the NBA as closely, but I imagine that their Players Association and the NBA will try to work something out, even if neither side really gets what they want.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The NBA is going to have a lockout.

I have no doubt.

The owners want far too many concessions to get anything near what they want from the players without the players missing a few paychecks.

So, there will be a lockout, and there will be some missed regular season games. I wouldn't be shocked to see an entire season cancelled. They've learned nothing from the NHL, and I think they'll end up with something very similar: a hard salary cap, the ability to cut players without cap penalties to get back under the new hard cap, and a growing disparity of money made by top-end players and middling players (as there should be). Because, let's be honest, it doesn't hurt a franchise to pay Kobe 18 million dollars. It kills them to pay middling players like Brian Cardinal contracts in the neighborhood of 8 million a year.

Owners need the lockout to save them from themselves. They can't help but hand out bad contracts right now. They simply can't.

And so the lockout will come, and slowly, the tiers of basketball fans will slip away. Those just above "casual" setting will stop caring. Those of perennially cursed/bad teams will slip away next. Until we're left with hardcore NBA fans and those just a notch or two below. And those who live and die with every team of their hometown.

Basketball fans will simply watch more college hoops as the NBA fades into the background and has less and less meaning.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I have to agree with McClain (on the NFL) and Inty (on the NBA) here. Including not minding a potential NFL lockout, though I don't think it'll happen.

I'm pretty sure the NBA will have a lockout, though I don't think it'll be a whole season. Definitely possible, though, for pretty much the reasons Inty's already mentioned.

Basketball fans will simply watch more college hoops as the NBA fades into the background and has less and less meaning.

An excellent thing for all involved :D

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That's for sure. :D

Thanks for you insight into the NBA situation, Inty. Based on that, I'd tend to think that an NBA lockout seems much more likely.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Inty's post sums up why I think it will be worse for the NBA. Given the unrelenting dominace of a few teams, it would seem to be much easier for fans to give up on their franchises given a year off. And NBA teams have less fans to lose.

9. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    This. The NBA is in a position where a lockout would seem like a likely option.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I've been following the NFL situation in the media and there's been some encouraging signs with reports that owners and the NFLPA have been discussion some ancillary things, so hopefully the big things pertaining to the CBA can be worked out before March. The wildcard in all of this is the NFLPA President, DeMaurice Smith, who's has said inflammatory things in the past, pretty much telling players to prepare for a lockout and that there would be no health insurance for players if a lockout happens. If cooler, rational heads are in the negotiating table and Smith's ego is kept in check, then the NFL should avoid a lockout. If Smith digs in his heels and forces owners to similarly dig in theirs... Who knows what happens then.

ETA: One big sticking point has been the potential expansion to an 18 game regular season. Goodell and most of the owners have wanted it, the NFLPA have balked at it. I think after the rash of injuries this year, the owners might be willing to concede that for now. (which was the issue being discussed this week between the two sides)

12. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I don't have an opinion on the likelihood, but my baby bro (and by baby, I mean junior at Uconn) is praying for an NBA lockout so Kemba comes back next year. And his dream scenario is for Kemba to talk Andre Drummond into changing his eligibility year or whatever and come next year so UConn can win a title.

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that an NBA lock out doesn't happen. I don't want an NFL one either, but I'd be more bummed about the NBA.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I really couldn't care if the NFL goes into a lockout, but I will if the NBA does. Though the last lockout (1998-early 1999) didn't cancel that whole season, it still annoys me because it ruined what was the last season the Lakers played at The Forum.............they didn't get a chance to close out that sacred building with a full season slate of games.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And also put the last nail in the coffin of the good part of Michael Jordan's career *I tend to ignore that brief stint with the Wizards in the early part of this decade*

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  16. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
  17. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    MLB already learned its lesson the hard way.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That it did. And some people still haven't fully come back to MLB.

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Same with the NHL.

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I still consider myself divorced from the NHL.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Eh, I think that the NHL is strong after their lockout. But that might be because I live in a growing hockey hotbed. :p Non-traditional markets aren't working out so well, but that's been an issue long before 2004/05.

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I am in the revisiting stage with the NHL.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Keep it up, 'sey. It's worth it. :D

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    In established areas, yeah it's still strong. Hell, the Stars even sell out pretty much every night, but lack of televised games has hurt it immensely and probably will continue to do so until they ever decide to try and negotiate with ESPN again. Some of the markets the NHL are in, is honestly just perplexing though. They picked the wrong time to start expanding, when they did.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    There are regional telecasts for every game, no doubt. But, you're right, ESPN (despite it's flaws) reaches a lot more homes than Versus. Versus is actually doing a pretty decent job, though. And the NBC Game of the Week will be back on next month.