main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Lockouts: Will They Happen?

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    In a completely unrelated note, I just realized where Lisa got that nickname from. [face_blush]

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh] Well, at least you eventually figured that out, Hood. :p

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The inevitable NFL lockout

Above is from Bleacher Report and here is a sampling from it:

The NFL, and most other major American sports leagues (perhaps excluding the MLB), is a player (and coach), not an owner, driven league. All players deserve to be paid well, and they deserve to be taken care of when they retire. They play a dangerous game that may very well result in a lifetime of medical complications, if not a premature, painful death. As the premier sports league in the U.S., NFL players play with the ultimate goal of achieving athletic glory and entertaining the millions who watch them every week, while competing for an unjustifiably inflated income. And paid they are! The minimum salary for an NFL player, as of 2009, is $310,000. JaMarcus Russell, the immense failure drafted first overall by the Oakland Raiders in 2007, signed a contract that guaranteed him over $30 million dollars without even stepping on the practice field. He is currently unemployed. The median income for the average American is $30,000 per year. The average American would have to work over ONE THOUSAND years to earn what Russell earned in his short, pathetic, codeine-laced career in the NFL.

I have to agree with the above, most will not even earn a fraction of what sports figures get in the major sports nowadays. It's a system that sooner or later will become either too bloated (both money and status wise) or too expensive for even casual fans to attend (becoming more and more commonplace due to new stadiums, club seats, concession prices, parking prices, etc.)

4. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I saw a similar article on SI yesterday. I've gotta think that it'll happen, but I could be wrong.

6. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  7. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    The 18 game season proposal is a joke. It's infuriating when Goodell constantly insists that the "fans have spoken" and that it's clear they want an 18 game season. Really, Roger, where did you get that information? Every poll I've seen say fans don't want an 18-game season. Ah, but here's his reasoning; It's clear fans hate four preseason games, so making two of them real games would make fans happy. Of course! What a false dichotomy. It's, of course, impossible that franchises could modify the payment structure so that season ticket holders don't have to pay for preseason if they don't want to, or just get rid of two preseason games altogether, since that would cut into their profits.

Do he and the owners really think we're that stupid? I find it insulting, I really do.

All of the whining over the pre-season is stupid anyway. How else are coaches supposed to evaluate marginal players in actual game situations as opposed to practices and scrimmages?

8. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    NFLPA Plans to decertify before CBA expires Thursday.

But the NFLPA is poised to act this week before it is locked out. It already has obtained unanimous approval from players across the league to decertify, a process it undertook throughout last season and the union's executive committee reaffirmed that vote this past Tuesday to empower NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith to take this action.

So, how long does everyone think that the lockout will last (which it looks like is going happen on Thursday)?

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Peter King made a great point the other day:

the offer the players get from the owners today is not going to be as good as the offer they get from the Owners on August 15th. And, vice versa.

I think we'll see a lockout, with it ending right around mid-August. Giving us a short Free Agency period, and a full season.

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    If there is a lockout that goes into the season, it's going to be a long summer. [face_plain]

11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Federal judge backs NFLPA.

A federal judge gave a key ruling in favor of the players that could strip what the union has been calling unfair leverage for the owners in labor negotiations.

Well, more than likely this means that if nothing is resolved by midnight eastern time on Thursday that a protracted volley of court lawsuits is headed towards the owners that the Judge Doty said, "The record shows that the NFL undertook contract re-negotiations to advance its own interests and harm the interests of the players."

So, it will definitely make it interesting now that the owners stand to lose lots of money as well once the lockout starts on Friday.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    The NBA has reached an end-game; unless they have a hard salary cap, the league is going to contract, or die.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    NFL has a deadline extension, signs are pointing to a deal being likely. I'll believe it when I see it. I still think a lockout is inevitable, even if it doesn't cancel any games.

Oh, and just to remind us, today the MLBPA had their first meeting with owners, as their CBA is also expiring this year.

Hurray for the business side of sports!

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    That was definitely a great read there. It made me chuckle a little at how ignorant we all are to the stuff that some owners are pulling on fans right now. It's all about them and they know it. Without there franchises though, then that's when problems start to happen. If there was any justice in the world, the government would award the fans the rights to the money that the owners get. I'll be awaiting that lawsuit. When have the fans ever been treated fairly? Never.

Until most boycott and don't buy tickets, jerseys, and other things, the NFL owners will always win. Players are as replaceable as any other commodity. Their shelf life is five years tops for most of them, and only the best make it to that point and beyond.

There will be a deal if the owners and players have any sense at all. Leaving billions of dollars up to the government deciding who gets what is definitely not something that the owners want to happen. The players will continue to get their millions and most of them will waste it away wondering where it all went. I have absolutely no pity nor sorrow for those that do waste away their riches.

For I am the lowest of the low; I am a fan and as long as I buy tickets, jerseys, and other things, then I get what I deserve; which, when you think about it is really a pretty petty intangible quality; that of actually caring about what my team or teams do.

We live in a society where we have to keep up with the Joneses' as they say. It's really pretty pathetic when you think about it. Oh well, I still can't wait for the next season to start, and that's the biggest problem right there.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Definitely a very good read there, Inty.

17. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    and that's a large part of why i haven't been willing to side with the owners on this even a little bit.

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm almost becoming numb to these negotiations/stories about a lockout.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

20. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    So, if I understood what they were saying on the radio earlier, its not technically a lockout, but makes it very likely that there won't be a full season next year? Or something like that.

21. -JediJordan-

-JediJordan- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2011
    So since the union is decertified does that mean it's technically not a lockout because there's nobody to lockout? So I guess it's a "work stoppage" now?

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    How can/could it be called a work stoppage if training camps don't begin until July/August?

23. -JediJordan-

-JediJordan- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2011
    There's more to day-to-day franchise operations than just the stuff that fans get to watch. And there can be no free-agent signing, which is huge.

24. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    What a joke. America needs football now more than ever and the NFL is reminding America why the country itself is in trouble. Poetic if you think about it.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Please.................economically, sure America needs football, but can this country survive without it for sometime? Yes!