main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Logic Flaws in the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DRush76, Dec 14, 2012.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

He probably was unaware that Palps had reached level 12 Sith status and so could do lightning. TBH I hated the idea of Palps and Yoda using Lightsabers, not only was a bad juxtaposition with another Lightsaber fight, as respective Force masters they should have been above that. Gandalf and Saruman in Fellowship as a comparison, you really get the feel its two very powerful Wizards going at it and not bouncing around like ping pong balls.

2. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I remember watching this in the theater, seeing Luke all defiant before the old, frail Emperor. Suddenly, BLAM, and Luke's on the ground screaming. I think half the theater gasped at that.

3. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yes, but Lando wears his shirt buttoned to the top, like a dapper player. Han, on the other hand, leaves the top few buttons undone to expose his chest hair and gold medallion (if he had one).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Except he wasn't tricked.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    What is Level 12 Sith status?

6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The level where you get fingertip lightning.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Palpatine had been telling him he had the power to save the ones he loves, so Anakin had to choose his wife or the Jedi. Then its no I dont have the secret BUT if we work together I know we can discover it. Slight difference.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Not really. He said they have to work together, which implies both of them are necessary, which indicates that Palpatine still had the "power" to make it happen by contributing his efforts to the cause. If you look at the things Palpatine says about it his story consistently indicates that Anakin will be the one to do it, as opposed to Palpatine doing it all by himself. But Palpatine is offering to act as Anakin's dark side mentor as a necessary step. Also, we know that in EU the ability did exist.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    On a more minor level than most of the questions in here, I have always wondered why the toppled AT-AT at the Battle of Hoth was so easily blown up.

"That armor's too thick for blasters!"... except, apparently, when it's on the ground.

10. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe toppling it knocked something loose in the armor, making it easier to blow up.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    No, the first two blasts from the snowspeeder hit the armor and fail to detonate the walker. The third and final blast hits the opening behind the head, in the exposed neck portion where cables and machinery sit unprotected. That's when the AT-AT explodes, and not an instant before.

12. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I dunno, I always took "That armor's too strong for blasters!" line as overexaggeration -- they could penetrate it, but it'd take so much time and firepower it would make the exercise pointless.

For me, the headscratcher really is why the walker explodes at all. Unless they're carrying a lot of fuel or heavy munitions or a small-yield nuclear reactor in the head, there's no reason for the walker to be Made of Explodium. But on the other hand, pretty much every other film in existence has this same feature (including Red Tails, where a steam locomotive apparently explodes in a ball of fire when you puncture its steam tank).

13. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    I am actually shocked that nobody has mentioned The Rebels' attack on The Death Star's exhaust port. It truly is a LOGICAL FLAW: After finding that their ships are being attacked from behind, they continue pulling the same maneuver by sending 3 ships into that trench instead of having one go in and having the others come in behind the TIE fighters that kept taking them out. I understand that the other 2 were supposed to give the leader some cover, but all they seemed to do was explode (well, except for Wedge. The coward takes off after a bit of damage while everybody else sacrifices themselves for the greater good). They couldn't even shoot at the enemy coming from behind. It seems really ridiculous that they ever thought that doing the same thing over and over would work. Especially after they had found that The Empire had apparently figured out their plan. If Han hadn't changed his mind, The Rebels woulda lost because they weren't smart enough to try anything else to ensure victory!

14. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    They should have tried spinning. That's a neat trick.

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    It's no more ridicolous than Tarkin sending out only a handful of TIE fighters out of possibly hundreds...

16. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    I dunno about that. Those "handful" of TIEs were kickin' Rebel behind like a mug ("Watch it! You've got one on your tail!", "She's gonna blow!", "I've just lost my starboard engine!", "They came from behind!", "YAAAAHHHH!")! They managed to take out 27 outta 30 Rebel fighters. Tarkin was indeed right, they were gonna win. Like I typed before, the only reason they won was because of Han's change of heart. Otherwise, Vader's plan woulda worked (it was his idea for the fighters to "destroy them ship-to-ship" after a soldier told him that the X-Wings were too small for their turbo lasers).

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess you could just assume there's more TIEs offscreen? I know Wookiepedia says there were only like 6 or so TIEs launched to fight the Rebels, but even if that's canon it's completely idiotic.

Anyway, biggest logic flaw I would have to say is Leia correctly surmising that the Empire is tracking the Falcon, but decides to lead them to the secret Rebel base anyway. There was just no good reason for that. If there was anything the Rebels needed, it was more time...time to analyze the Death Star plans (what if they hadn't found the exhaust port weakness in time?), and time to muster enough strength to assault the Death Star (more starfighters would've been good to have in that battle).

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think this has more to do with Han's stubbornness than Leia, to be honest. He was too proud to admit that his ship could be tracked and refused to take Leia's warning seriously. He just wanted to drop them off, collect his money and leave. And given that it was his ship, Leia wasn't really in a position to give orders or force him into plotting another course. She pretty much had to just suck it up and hope for the best. Thankfully, things worked out the way they did, but it could have been very costly.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've also always had the impression that it was more Han ignoring Leia ("Not this ship, sister") than it was Leia ignoring her own warning.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    She could have just had the plans transmissioned to Yavin...

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Leia didn't have to give Han the location of the Rebel base. Could've just arranged a rendezvous with a Rebel ship or had Han drop them off at some spaceport.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine could still have just pulled out a gun and shot him.

23. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Should have, in fact. That GL really lost the ability to make good movies after 83. :_(

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ^ Disagree with that statement.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

What an odd comment to make, considering many have been discussing the Luke/Vader/Palpatine confrontation in ROTJ, a movie released in 1983.