main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Logic or Emotion?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by StartCenterEnd, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    What are the foundations of the saga? What do you tell a person who never seen the films? Do you watch them in sequence, once a week or all at once? What is it about the saga: Is it about the logic and the details or the fast paced emotional rollercoaster where your not entirely sure what is going on but can follow the human story? How do you see the saga? Do you think one should watch the saga with a critical nit-picking eye and freeze frame every detail, to look for every little nook and cranny? Or were these movies never meant to be truly understood and thats their appeal? For one to sit down and watch 1-6 for the first time straight through and never see it again. Is it this total bombatistic overwelming wave of choas that bombarded us on first viewing the reason we like SW in the first (thus try to emulate this feeling by watcing it over and over but never get that feeling because we know everyhting thus some of us become bashers)? The complete launch upon the emotion and flashiness or is it the depth and sense logic and little details that only are caught on the tenth viewing?

What is truly the appeal the saga for you and in general?

The logic or the emotion?

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    both: a balance between being involved with both your heart and your mind.

3. AJSkywalker

AJSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    What brung me to STAR WARS was the action and adventure. What kept me whatching was the emotion and the ability to disect everything and know every nook and cranny of the story. No matter how many times you whatch it there is always something you haven't noticed the time before and one more thing you can learn.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't really think it breaks down into an issue of logic vs. emotion. More of compassion verses passion.

5. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

At age 6(?) when I first started to get into Star Wars, it was because there were a couple of tough guys and gals that flew spaceships and shot at cool looking white robots (haha) and some really powerful characters that used laser swords, choked people without touching them, and tossed things around with their mind. It would be on TV and my dad would watch it and I would do something else untill "The exciting parts are on". Obi-wan was boring and rattled on about some crazy stuff. With the exception of the cave scene (Which had people fighting with laser swords), the entire Degobah sequence in Both movies were boring to me. Still, I watched them over and over.

As I matured, I continued to watch them over and over, this time being more interested in that boring Obi-Wan blabbering more than the action scenes. Of course, by the time the PT came around, I was open to enjoying both.

That is the great part about Star Wars. You can watch it once and enjoy a pretty simply storyline with spaceships, exotic weapons, excellent special effects, great fights and a plethora of alien species and droids; never to think about it again. On the flip side, you can watch the whole saga one time every week and probably pick up new ideas on each viewing...formulate your own theories...read every book. Most people that like Star wars are probably somewhere in between. I do not think it is a difference of logic vs. emotion, it's a difference in what you are looking for in a movie - a neat little story or a huge new universe. It's more of a matter of whimsical vs. immersed.

Carnage

6. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I don't believe the first viewing, or the second or third should be dissected at all. I believe the most hardcore SW fans are the ones that go that extra mile and look in every nook and cranny. They view it that 20th time, *just* to look at that extra detail. The action appeals from afar, the emotion is what you feel when you look a little deeper and the logic is something that comes in time.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Emotion owns.

Take ROTS. Probably not a good a movie as say, Munich, but guess which one I'm gonna watch obsessively for quite some time. :p

8. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I heartily agree.

9. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!

10. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    yay! i feel loved[face_blush]

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There are three kinds of movies; those that have an emotional appeal, those that have an intellectual appeal, and those that have both those aspects.
    I think for the SW Saga it hits people on an emotional level first, Star wars is alot of fun. You really don't need to go any further. For those with a bit of curiosity there are greater depths to the Saga having to do with mythology and symbolism and storytelling.

As an analogy when you're a child and see Looney Toons cartoons you watch because it's a cartoon, when you get a little older and watch them you understand the jokes better.

12. my_favorite_rodian

my_favorite_rodian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    I saw ANH when I was 6 and I got it. But it was a very fun movie to watch, and that made me want to see the other 2. When I was 8 I saw Empire, and was hooked to the story line. I became a Star Wars fanatic at that very moment and still am to this day. When I was 12 I finally saw ROTJ, I wanted to see how it would all tie together, and I finally realized how they all fit together. But you guys do have a point, I saw ESB again a few years later and noticed things that didn't phase me the first time. It's emotion that hooks the viewers, then logic to reel them in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.