main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania LOL! Apparently, "Free" trade > culture

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ender Sai, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Again, they think an Apple is an Orange...

Again, you can?t see beyond the Apple and see all the fruit.

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    POT don't forget all those other wonderful things that were introduced to the indiginous population, like diabetes and liver problems from alcohol...

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    You misunderstand... I wasn't talking about farmers.

In regards to Aboriginal culture... what culture? What, do you consider culture to be painted but putting out your hand, spreading your fingers, and spitting paint threw them?!?

Remember, this 'culture' in 40,000 years never learnt hygene, never learnt a written language, never entered the stone or bronze or iron age, etc.. etc...

Again, as I said, let's not derail this thread, leave this arguement for another topic.

4. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    Out of left field here.
    How many languages do you speak Gath?

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Grizzly... who made them drink the alcohol? Noone but themselves!!!!!!

Why do you bloody people insist on individuals blaming other people for their own actions, without taking responsibility for themselves.

In effect, if you are saying that they cannot take responsibility for themelves, you ARE admitting that they are stupid!!!!

6. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    In regards to Aboriginal culture... what culture? What, do you consider culture to be painted but putting out your hand, spreading your fingers, and spitting paint threw them?!?

Remember, this 'culture' in 40,000 years never learnt hygene, never learnt a written language, never entered the stone or bronze or iron age, etc.. etc...

Another interesting fact - the Aboriginal people are the only civilisation, in all known history, not to use slavery.
    Interesting, no? I would have thought that would have made them the most civilised of all.

In effect, if you are saying that they cannot take responsibility for themelves, you ARE admitting that they are stupid!!!!

People are taught, from childhood, how to deal with their own lives and cultures. It's a cultural clash, nothing to do with stupidity. If people are not brought up with how to deal with certain situations, it's very very difficult for people to cope, whether they're black, white or purple!

I'd sure as hell love to see how you'd cope if you were dropped off in the middle of an Afghani caravan and not told a thing about how to act.

7. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

have you ever, *ever*, ever, EVER lived in Alice Springs, Darwin, or any part of the Northern Territory for an extended period of time?! Hmm... I guess not. You arm-chair critics are always quick to judge without knowing reality.

So, we just supply our own answers and then judge others for the answers we think they'd give?

Yeah, let's not be quick to judge without knowing reality.

8. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    Gath, white man has used alcohol and known the effects of overuse for a hell of a long time. Do you mean to say you've never seen or heard of anyone getting another person drunk in order to take advantage of them?

9. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    do you consider culture to be painted but putting out your hand, spreading your fingers, and spitting paint threw them?!?

That says all I need to know.

10. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    JediMasterKieca... so did the Eskimo's have slaves... or the bushman Kalahari? Or are you still just trying to invent stuff up to justify your do-gooder opinion.

Please provide facts... for gods sake please.

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Grizzly, duh... obviously western culture knows the benefits and harms of alcohol... we have been brought up where to 'stop'... if people don't 'stop' at the healthy level, well, then the become alcoholics at their own accord, as they no the dangers.

Same with Aboriginees... they have seen the destruction of alcohol within their society, and from without thier society (ie: non-aboriginal society, whites, greeks, italians, whoever)... so they do know right from wrong, when to stop, but many DON'T stop.

12. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Eskimos and Kalahari did have slaves, actually.

Next.

13. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    Gath, duh... Aboriginies didn't have any idea about the effects when it was first introduced to them 200 years ago though, so if it was introduced to them in excess (not being told when to 'stop') then that is what they would learn to be "the norm" regardless of whether it's damaging to themselves or not.

14. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    Well many non-aboriginal's don't stop either!
    What's the difference between them, apart from their appearance?

And I'm surprised you brought up those other cultures, Gath. I would have thought that living in shelters made out of snow or wandering through the desert without claiming any sort of land ownership wouldn't have qualified as "cultures" to you in the first place.

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Prove it, or retract.

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    JediMasterKieca, please don't avoid the point that was made.

And what frustrates me most about the ALP, the left-wingers, the do-gooders, the social-engineers, is that the majority of these people have gone to university, and THEREFORE, have NOTHING in COMMON whatsoever with the working class in which they are meant to represent.

That is why they are held in such ridicule.

17. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    It may have been missed in the rush, so I'll ask again.
    Gath, how many languages do you speak/communicate in?

18. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
  19. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    That also sounds like Trade Union reps who have never done a day on the job.

20. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    JediMasterKieca, please don't avoid the point that was made.

[face_laugh]

Pot, this is kettle! I'm calling you BLACK.

And what frustrates me most about the ALP, the left-wingers, the do-gooders, the social-engineers, is that the majority of these people have gone to university, and THEREFORE, have NOTHING in COMMON whatsoever with the working class in which they are meant to represent.

That is why they are held in such ridicule.

What the ALP is trying to do is emphasise the idea that the common man has a right to university. The common man SHOULD be able to go to university. Not just if they can pay for it, or achieve amazingly high results.
    It's people like you that squash the "common man" down and prevent them from growing.

As for the evidence, I'm looking for it currently.

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmmm... I suppose you forgot the simple fact that the ALP stood for the Australian LABOUR Party?!?

It is people like all of you that will send this country down the drain.

Hmmm... I wonder who is causing all of the gang-land violence in Sydney for example... in Cabramatta... it wouldn't be the Vietnamese or Lebanese would it? Hmmm... those of the do-gooder persuasion wouldn't admit that their ridiculous immigration policy is ruining this country.

22. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    Human nature is to be alert and ready to react when feeling threatened.
    In a society dominated by caucasians, of course people of other ethnic backgrounds will feel intimidated. If they're provoked, they will attack. But of course, it won't appear that way. History is always told by the winners.

That aside, there's also the whole concept of people living up to whatever you expect of them, a big problem in our society. If you expect violence and bad behaviour from people, they'll give it to you.
    And that's a psychological theory, not a "do-gooder" one.

The ALP was set up by the working class man because he was unhappy about the way he was being treated. He sent representatives into government to change the way things were, not keep them the same!

Oh yeah, and it's spelt LABOR party, not labour.

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    History is always told by the winners?!?

So I guess Hitler was right then?!

24. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

That's certainly the impression you are giving.

25. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    When did Hitler win?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.