main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Film & Comic Con, Sept 1 - 2nd '07

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
  2. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Looks like I missed nothing here then !!!

3. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    you can't beat a nice bit of rug.
    esp to munch on...
    but i digress.
    LFCC was a total ******* shambles and jason and his business partners ought to be ashamed of themselves.
    i didn't go for any particular reason,just thought it would be a nice day out,so luckily i managed to avoid all the drama and hoopla involved in the heroes and captain picard ker-fuffle.
    but what a ******* debacle,lol... i'm telling you... the place was a ****-hole!
    no,really... it was a disgrace,and they try and excuse themselves by saying it was a booking error???
    and the rest...
    a booking error? a miscalculation?
    lol,i give you one job to do...one job,and that's to book a hall big enough to...
    it's funny when you think about it.
    and all the poor ******** who paid for the heroes photo-shoots and haven't got their pictures yet.
    ho-ho-ho.
    must do better,indeed.
    or it's london expo for me,lol!
    incompetant idiots.

EDIT: You know better than that ;)

4. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Frankly i think that's a bit harsh.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, it is a big event. And people pay lots of moeny at it and expect their to be good service.

If one queues to get a photo and doesn't get it then that is not acceptable.

Making it so dark it is a hazard is unacceptable.

I'm amazed the celeb guests stodd for having to put up with those sorts of conditions.

If the organisers aren't careful then the event will shut down. Then what would we really have to attend?

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I should have mentioned it before, but it was great to meet-up with Tim, Laura and Jamie on Sunday. Without you guys, it would have been a truly horrible day and I would have left after 5 minutes :p

I've certainly made my thoughts on the show clear at the Showmasters forum, and since then Jason has posted a thread that apologises for the venue and chaos surrounding some of the guests (the Heroes ones).
    The poor (and dangerous) lighting was down to the lights being on half-strength. Why they couldn't be turned to full-strength hasn't been explained. We were given another reason why the lighting was dark but to be honest I don't think that was the problem at all. And while SM did reccy the venue before-hand (when the lights were on full-strength), they obviously saw fit not to bring-in a carpet which I know isn't the norm thing for SM to do and an added, dare I say it superficial, expense, but it really, really was required and if you want a show in London, and a flagship show at that, to be the best it can be and gain a real world-wide reputation, these things need to be done. Even LondonExpo bring a carpet in for monkey's sake. And no, I don't work for Allied Carpets.... nor Carpet Right ;)

I can fully understand and appreciate the chaos around the guests and this is always a hard thing to get perfect. SM have proved they are really good at it, if not the best, but I think it was a clear case of under-estimating the demand. I have no problems with that, but then again I didn't go there to get any autographs but SM will learn from this and will act upon it I'm sure, and that's good enough for me.

There was still no explanation as to what happened with the Star Wars zone, nor why we didn't hear anything from them despite several messages being sent their way over the course of 2 months. This isn't good enough and still angers me.

In the end we all want to go to a show and enjoy it. Who would want to spend money on a bad show, from both the punters and organisers POV. This one was a real slip-up, almost a comedy of errors which isn't helped by the fact SM events are usually of a high standard. LF&CC'07 was billed as the biggest and best yet, but many things went wrong along the line and a lot of blame can be put on SM (like planning Collectormania Glasglow the week before, which is just silly) and some of it is bad luck and sub-standard venues which should have been avoided

I really think it's worth SM dropping one of two events next year and going hammer and tong for next year's LF&CC.

Anyway, next year's show will return to EC2 so already it's got one over on this year's, lol.

7. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    filthy language!

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Absolutely. The guilty party should be ashamed and hand out £5 notes to all members as penance.

9. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    here's your fiver,hal...

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I was down there on the Sunday, myself. I tried looking out for you lot, but alas, I didn't see anyone. Well, to be honest, I was only there to meet Patrick Stewart, and have a general look around, as I wanted to spend the day in London with my girlfriend, which was a lot more entertaining. It if it weren't for the fact that Patrick Stewart was there, it wouldn't have even been worth going to the con, because these things are becoming very vanilla, very quickly. It's the same old **** all the time. A couple of guests, and fifty stalls all selling the same 30 year old tat that the next vendor is hoiking.

I agree with pretty much all of the sentiments above.

11. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Indeed, I think they liked the idea of pushing this show forward a lot more then they usually do, largely because of the CE experience, but they couldn't quite manage it and probably got side-tracked with the guest side of things once again.
    Did your girlfriend go inside LF&CC with you Mark?? She probably thought you were taking her to some seedy dayclub with that lighting and dodgy fixings.

Laura, have you uploaded your luvely photos yet?? I need some ammo for the London FF site [face_batting]

12. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Ha. Ha. Actually, it was HER idea. It's great having a girlfriend who'se a bigger Trek fan than I am. And she was there on Saturday and Sunday, so I was warned before I went in. Got Patrick Stewart's ticket before I arrived, had a look around, got his autograph, and then left...spent the rest of the day in sunlight! :D

Sounds like I made the right decision in the end. [face_monkey]

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    lol, I think you did make the right choice. The show didn't improve and even the auction got the boot due to there not being any items organised to auction off, which says it all.
    I'm still livid with all of this, so much so I might boycott Collectormania 12 in protest. While that would be a shame as I've been to everyone since Collectormania2, at the moment there's nothing that's making me want to go except Geroge A.Romero.

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i'll be going,but only to stick my boot up showmasters stupid fat asses!!!

15. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    If you go Jamie, then maybe I'll go too :p
    I will try and remain diplomatic though ;)

16. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    well,that..and to stick adrienne barbeau in a big sack,and run off to my secret lair.
    she's got some explaining to do regardng her role in swamp thing.
    my youth was severly affected.

17. LadyPoison

LadyPoison Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    I have indeed! Didn't take many FF pics though, there's just the one of you and Tim! This url should work, i think...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50117&l=1b7a7&id=642770402

:)

18. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Someone wash that mouth out with a bar of soap. On second thoughts, best keep away from it, he bites :p

Mark ... not gonna explain the power of a text message to you :p But you smell and I am not talking to you for at least a week

Do you think they had to exorcise the "grudge corner" after we left? lol

19. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    tim,i hope to see you at the birmingham comics show in a few weeks time?
    mike mignola,don't forget!

20. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    In process of booking a room for it as I type, already ordered the two day ticket (£10 = bargain!)

21. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I hope that show manages to have the lights turned on at least ;)
    Anyone planning to watch the last episode of Comics Britannia on BBC4 at 10:30pm tonight?? This one focuses on Alan Moore et al, should be good :D

22. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    they use the term 'graphic novel' in this episode.
    they do,i heard it.
    dastards!

23. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I thought you'd grown to accept the GN term these days Jamie, lol. I haven't watched it yet but have it on tape, so will watch it tomorrow.
    Was in FP today and spotted a Batman Graphic Novel called Ego and other tales. Looked good but was wondering if you had any views on this one Jamie??

24. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    doesn't ring any bells,but i'm comic shopping tomorrow,so i'll have a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.