main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London on the Cheap - not necessarily a contradiction

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by DarthBreezy, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    For those making the journey for the first (or second or third) time, lets face it, London is expensive. Shockingly enough, there ARE no cost to low to moderately priced things to do!

So here are a few ideas, hopefully fellow travelers will add some more.

1) The Markets;

From Portabello Road and Camden Locks (over priced IMHO - give me the rag and bone market in Bow anyday) you can find almost ANYTHING... and looking doesn't cost you a penny.

Personal fave, Pettycoat Lane in Whitechaple - found some cool SW vintage toys there fairly reasonably too.

2) Museums - thanks to the end of Thatcher's reign, they are (mostly) free but for some of the special exhibits.

Personal faves: The British Musuem and the Imperial War Museum (Used to be "Bedlam hospital" - Don't miss the Blitz Experiance.) Farther afeild in Hendon, The RAF museum is a MUST for warplane buffs.

3) London walks, for less than a tenner US you can experiance some really cool sites....

Just to get you started.

2. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Yeah, Camden town is great for something to do for free. Meet real English Punks :D :p

3. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I haven't seen a real Punk in Camdem for years! Did they migrate back? :p

(Note: I live in the US but was born in Romford, have relations back home and go back as often as I can)

4. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    yep they seem to have migrated back, Camden is where most of my mates go and they are either goths or punks.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've done London really cheap by just buying an all-day pass for the tube and then go around. If the entrance was free I went in, if it cost money I just admired the outside.

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/Lord-Tice/FF_UK_L%20Meets/gl_stage001.jpg]

A bit of history, and you can get there on a £6.30 travelcard :D
    Elstree is not the nicest of places though :p

You also have the Tate Modern and Tate Britain which are very good and free. And the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square.

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    If you want to do some sight-seeing, but don't want to walk all the way, then you can take a certain bus. This bus passes most interesting things in London.

The only problem is that I don't know which bus it is. :(
    A friend of mine found this out years ago. I hope she remembers it, but in the case that she can't remember it, can anyone from London help me out? [face_batting]

8. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Sure can Sabine. This site has all the info on buses: Lonodn Buses

Daily travelcards cover all bus journeys with-in the six zones, as well as tubes and trains. You can get just daily bus passes too which are cheaper, but personally I'm not a fan of buses so will always tube or train it. But one bus trip on the top deck is worth it for the experience ;)

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    That was quick, Matt. Thanks. :)

I've written an email to this friend of mine, but I think I'll take a look at that page later. Maybe I can find the bus... ;)

10. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Let's come to something important: TOYS!
    How much do you guys normaly have to pay for a 3 3/4 figure eg?

That would help me calculate how much money I have to bring :D :p

11. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Guess it depends on the pack really, forbidden planet which is the main place in London to get things from you are looking at £6 and up. As I said, it depends on what ones you are getting.

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    £5.99 is the Recommended Retail Price and most shops (Toys R US, department stores) sell them for that. Forbidden Planet, as you know Jule ;) , has a very good selection but not very good prices. They range from £8-15. By next July though, we'll be having the 30th anniversary range of figures & packaging, so who knows :p

Either way, they're cheaper here then in Germany but I reckon the dealer room at CE will have lots of bargins :D

13. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    i'm sorry,lordtice but those two phrases do not go hand in hand...
    dealers room and bargain...
    at least not when it comes to action figures,anyway...
    at least not in my experience...
    but then i am a skinflint.

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Actually, I did very well in the dealers room at C-3 - lots of stuff for under 5-10$

Mind you, I like unusual things - like the poster for the Clones dvd release in germany - it was 'well loved' but I paid a fiver for it and gave it to a freind who LOVED it.

Figures I can get here cheap, odds and sods... I'll get from a dealer's room.

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I hope to get some vintage SW comics. If I don't find those in the dealer's room, does the Forbidden Planet sells comic books too, not just toys and novels? Do you guys know any good comic shop in London?

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Forbidden Planet does sell comics but they are mostly current or very recent ones. I haven't seen any vintage ones there.
    Orbital Comics is pretty good. They are on Charing Cross Road up near the intersection with Oxford Street. It's not a bad walk from FP to there. I got some SW back issues there but nothing I'd really call vintage.

17. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    With CE in town the comic shops might change the prices though... what do you think?

18. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Not sure, has that happened in the US too? I know with CIII the prices seemed to be better in the local shops - ie discounts on things. I'd say it'll be better for fans than the other way round, plus not sure shops like FP are allowed to increase their prices just like that for a short period. Never seen it myself, even for LFCC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.