main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Shootings - Breaking News!!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sinrebirth , Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Just seen on Channel 4 news that the Police have released 4 pictures of suspects at various places of interest. I'm sure more will be said about this in the main news later.

[face_monkey]

2. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Uh, what are "various places of interest"?

3. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Gothicjedi666,
    Like mvwg3003 says a bullet proof vest wasn't going to stop shots to the head.

Here's a thought on the weapon used. Let's put it this way, I know next to nothing about guns and their usage in the real world. We all see guns used in films, but that is sometimes a fallacy and an exaggeration which jades our view of guns - I know that in real life the recoil of a gun can have a very strong effect on your arm (to the extent that the backlash could dislocate a shoulder), something you never see when heroes and villians are shooting hundreds of bullets at each other with big guns. Is it possible that the witnesses are also lacking working knowledge of real guns? Is it possible that the "five shots" are one round from the gun used? Ie, the police officer didn't pull the trigger five times which is obviously excessive. Not being an expert in such stuff, I will wait to hear what comes out later.

Totally agree with you MANDALORIAN on your observations. Innocent or not, the man's actions forced the police to do something difficult and horrific. But when it is the lives of civilians on a tube Vs a possible bomber, then I say let stop the bomber by any means necessary. If this had happened last month or last year, this would have been police brutality. Let us not forget there are 3 or 4 terrorists loose in the city, with unknown backup explosives available to them. They probably won't be carrying guns, as the bombs are what they using to cause havoc. All Londoners should act and behave carefully and just comply with the police and other services, for the sake of making the city safe. Being afraid/scared is no excuse to run from a policeman when challenged.

4. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    The suspected 21/07/05 bombers -

http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=402

5. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Uh, what are "various places of interest"?

Places in London where yesterdays bombs were found, e.g on bus 26.

[face_monkey]

6. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    Well only the second of those could be described as 'large' in reference to witness accounts.

And I totaly agree with Mandalorian and Tim, he shouldn't have run. Although there is limited information on this, my immediate response to hearing about 'five shots' at point blank range is still excessive.

I remember hearing one witness describe how one officer had a handgun, this guy was sure it wasn't a revolver. He also seemed to know the difference between sub and automatic. I haven't a clue about guns, other than to stay the hell away from them, but to me five shots are five shots. All witnesses are reporting that.

EDIT: Oh, OK Darth_MacDaddy, got it now.

7. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    To be honest there's alot of uproar about this and the simple fact is... if he had NOTHING to hide why run?

I'd rather be arrested, searched, checkes out and released than run and get shot...

Personally these people who do these bombings have no respect for human life so why should we respect theirs?

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Hello, stranger!!

[face_monkey]

9. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Hey Stormtrooper_fan :D

Agreed :)
    Hopefully this means one less bomber rather than one less civilian (albeit a rather stupid one if so). And I also hope that the muppet bombers have a little rethink about attacking London now. Police are definitely not messing around after what has happened.

Problem for the police is that after all the incidents yesterday, not one tube traveller stopped the possible bombers when they legged it. It's a hard thing to do I know, but I'd rather go down bringing one of those feckers in, than be blown up cowering. One man even said he helped a possible bomber to his feet thinking that something had happened to the poor guy's bag. Stupidity beggars belief sometimes. You see someone's bag smoking there is only a small chance that it is his ciggy/lighter which has started the fire in there. Kick the fecker in the nuts and hope he don't explode.

10. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

This is an interesting update. It discusses the 5 shots.

Clicky here

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Great link, at least the BBC is asking the same stuff we are, and hopefully the police can explain to us too. There will more than likely be a police conference soonish, maybe teatime news.

12. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    Hi guys :)

The police have been given the power to shoot to kill suspects so there's no messing about now, if there's someone acting suspiciously and then run when challenged they get shot... simple as.

I mean, the guy even ran INTO a tube station for gods sake, if he was innocent he was either very, very stupid or had a death wish!

Lets face it, you'd have to be pretty stupid around about now to be messing with the cops and acting the fool in London.

Edit -
    They're ******* 'distressed'? How do they thing the population of London feel. Christ on a bike that's ****** me off BIG time!! :mad:

Oh diddums, someone screwing with the police and running into a tube station got shot when London's on red alert boo frikken hoo next it will be a racist incident!

13. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    I'm sorry, even if they were special forces there is still no need to shoot him five times. Last time I checked, one shot to the head if sufficient to leave someone pretty ******.

14. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    This ain't the movies kid it just ain't that simple. Would you rather have left him injured and able to detonate a bomb?

Thought not...

15. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    As much as I am not normally into the shoot to kill tactic, in this case I agree with it. Unfortunatly it may have just been a civilian, however the police didn't seem to have another option when a suspect for bombings on the tube runs off into a tube station. Although 5 times was probably a bit much but probably there is stuff we don't know about.

Pretty much sums it up.

16. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    Not all the shots would have been fatal they sometimes immobilise first by shooting elbows and knee joints so 5 shots isn't excessive if that's what they were doing :)

17. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    I wasn't talking about the movies Stormtrooper_fan. And I don't appreciate being referred to as 'kid'. :)

Look, I don't condone what this guy did. If he was innocent, he was bloody stupid to start running, which is why I think he's guilty of something. I'm just stumped as to why an official says they brought in an air ambulance and tried to resuscitate him after he had been shot five times apparently in the head.

I think they are 'distressed' because of the backlash, (remember the BNP) and because people are now highly suspicious of Asian people. And don't try to tell me people aren't because I observed people on the Tube for the past few weeks and the furtive stares of people were always directed at Asians.

18. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    They brought in the Air Ambulance because it's police procedure to do that even if it's obvious the guy is quite dead it's not because they suddenly had a change of mind and thought he was innocent

You're crediting the BNP with way too much power they are not that far reaching as to hold the enture Muslim community in a grip of fear.

Of course people are suspicious of Asian people now what do you expect? No one was bothered when everyone was suspicious of anyone with an Irish accent at the height of the IRA bombings no one made any big deal out of people getting off trains and busses and leaving shops when they heard an Irish accent. I remember the atmosphere in MAnchester after the IRA detonated a 1 megaton bomb there... it wasn't exactly friendly towards Irish people. SO I don't care if people are being extre suspicious of Asian people because it matters not what colour skin they are they MURDERED 55 people two weeks ago, one of them a close friend of mine.

This reaction always gets me about the Police though...

Scenario 1: He goes into the tube and detonates the bomn and more people are killed
    Reaction of people: OH MY GOD why didn't the police chasing him shoot him before all this terrible loss of life the Police need to be made to pay for this

Scenario 2: He goes into the tube and is shot dead
    Reaction of the popele: OH MY GOD why did they have to shoot him 5 times, why did they have to shoot him IH MY GOD such a needless waste of life what if he's innocent??

See... it's a no won situation for the Police and I'm ******* sick of it.

Maybe 5 times was excessive... who am I to judge but I'm sure in that situation the ammount of adrenaline charging through the bodies of those Policemen is collosal, trained or not trained are you sure in the same situation you'd be able to shoot just ONCE?

I'm not sure I could have stopped at 5 in all honesty!

19. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    (no message)

20. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    mvwg3003 posted on 7/22/05 8:58am
    I'm sorry, even if they were special forces there is still no need to shoot him five times. Last time I checked, one shot to the head if sufficient to leave someone pretty ******.
    [hr][/blockquote]

the reason probably was that If they didnt take the shot then if he was carrying a bomb then he could have set if off and then the police would have been blamed for not taking the shot when they could have and saved people from injury of death.

The reason for having 5 shots for that If one shot had hit but not killed the man he might have still had the energy to self detatonate the bomb ( if he was carrying one) himself. 5 times makes sure he wont get up.

Why teh hell he ran, if innocent, Is beyond me. even if he did stop then the police would have to have been very cautious about teh way they approached him cause Like I say if he did indeed have a bomb strapped onto his clothing then he could have detonated it. based on what teh poice knew I think they didnt have a choice.

[b]edit[/b]:
    [i]"The Muslim Council of Britain said it was getting calls from Muslims who were "distressed" about the incident at Stockwell Tube station"[/i]

Gimme a break. I think Anyone ( especially in western culture) would be pretty distressed if they saw a man get murdered. I know this isnt what the muslim community is saying by that quote ,but still...

21. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Terrorist taken out - Jack Bauer style =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

22. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Just saw on Central News about 10 minutes ago, Birmingham's New Street Station has just had to be evactuated, and the bomb squad have been called in.

23. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    I feel so sorry for Londonders right now, they must be so terrified not knowing if the person sitting next to you on the train or the tube is about to blow you to kingdom come.

It's no wonder there's alot of alerts going off, I used to work at Manchester Airport and people used to leave briefcases all over the place all the time and sparked off alerts on a daily basis, London tubes are no different.

24. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Just as a sidenote, S_F i thought you left FFUK?

25. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    And this isn't an issue important enough to put aside any personal issues and show support for the people in my country?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.