main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Shootings - Breaking News!!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sinrebirth , Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005

I dont know why you left, i just thought it was because there is no more SW.
    And i do agree with you about this being more of a serious issue, it was just a stray thought that made me post my previous question. I am sorry if i have upset you.

2. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Don't be daft it takes more than that to upset me :)

3. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Sidenote: :D Will you be posting a bit more often then?

4. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    I'll think about it :p

5. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I'll think about it

You better had do, I need guidance in this place!!

[face_monkey]

6. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I'm 100% with Nik (especially referring to the fact the police cant win- they are having to protect the majority) and Hal's earlier statement about referring real life to Star Wars. Personally I hate to see people make statements then back it up by referring to Star Wars- it makes me cringe. Plus all this 'may the force be with you' crap in the thread about the london bombings and people saying it to the people of London. I hate it. But each to their own.

If this guy hadnt run he would be alive- what does he (and other muslims) expect when London is totally scared senseless after ANOTHER attempt at bombings? THough one thing that gets on my nerves- Britain was quick to condemn the 'shoot to kill' policy when the RUC and the army were shooting people over here in NOrthern Ireland. And the RUC were one of the best anti-terrorist police forces in the world- so what does the government do- disband them!!!

Anyway, back on track- simply the guy has no one to blame but himself.

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    If a Police man with a gun tells me to stop, I'm damn well going to do it - especially if I'm trying to get onto a tube in today's climate.

However, none of us where there, and I'm sure the full story will come out soon.

I agree with TK though - referencing a movie that glorifies violence at a time like this possibly isn't a great thing to do. It's slightly in poor taste, and all together cheesy.

8. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    Nothing to hide?
    No reason to run.

If someone points a gun and shouts 'Stop.Police.' you will stop even if you are innocent.
    Even if it is just to change your underwear.

9. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    I think to be honest some people who quote film references are perhaps shocked, wanting to show support but haven't quite got the words to express themselves so I don't mind the "May the force be with you" kind of sentiments but comparing real life situations to fantasy is just rediculous imho.

I hate all this "In the Star Wars Movies" stuff... in the Star Wars movies the dead people get up, pick up a nice pay packet and head back to their families. There is no comparison.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think its importnat the Police crack down hard on these people

If someone doesn't stop when a policeman brandishing a sub-machine gun tells them to, they should probably expect to get shot. I dont see why a genuine innocent member of the pblic would not stop if the Police said so unless they had something to hide

We aren't like the American Police who just shoot anyone who runs away, these guys wanted to kill as many people as possible, so the Police acted the strongest way they were able to.

I think its no more then these people deserve
    If I had a gun, I'd probably shoot a terrorist that dared to try and blow up me or the mighty city I happened to live in

I seems due to yesterday's botched bombing attempt the police have dicovered many things and have many suspects. Lets hope they get them and the bigger mastermines behind it all

11. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Though, just thinking, as my dad just made a good point- if(i think they said they were on the news) the police were plained clothed and three/five people came after you brandishing guns- wouldnt you run? I'm not too sure how plain clothes police men would identify themselves to the suspect- wave a badge or something? Like I said- I dont know.

There could also be the possibly that the policeman just 'lost it' in the present climate and opened up for no reason on the suspect- which is wrong. Hope he didnt though. Will we ever know the true FACTS I wonder?

[face_thinking]

12. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    I tend to think anyone not of the police force will hardly run through London in broad daylight brandishing guns and screaming at someone.

Then again in this day and age who knows?

13. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Though POSSIBLY he thought some kind of vigilante group??? WHo knows what he thought.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe he knew he was caught, so he legged it

15. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    TK it is true.
    I couldn't say what I would do unless I was in that situation.

But even though I hate the loss of life I hope it was not someone innocent.
    You know?

16. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    Yah they were plain clothed officers but they would have made it extremely clear who they were and the conciquences of not stopping they have to follow protocol.

They don't just pull a gun on you and wave it in your face there will have been VERY clear warnings issued BEFORE a firearm was pulled.

17. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    I hope so too, Jimbo. If it WAS anyone linked in anyway to the bombings then the outcome was spot on.

18. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Ah rite, cheers Nik! I've probably been watching too much DIrty Harry recently :p !

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Police would give warning before being hostile on a suspect
    Standard police protocol would be shout something like: "Police! Stay where you are, or we will open fire!!"

The order is pretty clear, if its not followed then the consequences will occur

We dont do things the American way

"Police! Stop!!"
    "Hes running cheif, should we pursue?"

"No, just open fire"

20. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    But then saying that I would probably have hit the floor, begged for my life and cried like a baby.

I have no shame.
    Guns scare me!!!!

21. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    My biggest issue here with all the "five shots fired" etc, is that we have not heard yet from the Police themselves. The "five shots" was indicated by a passenger who saw it all happen.

Having been in several live fire situations, I can say that one or two shots can sound like significantly more, especially if you're in an area that naturally would echo, i.e. a tube station.

Until the autopsy is done and the official information is released we're all kinda guessing at this stuff, aren't we?

22. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    Very true Jairen.
    Although my point was about the running not so much the shooting.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I heard on the news that the police shot someone 3 times

24. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    He was shot 5 times because they were using a hand gun and low velocity rounds which often don't deliver a fatal shot immediately.

They shot him in the head because they are ordered to shoot all suspects in the head because if they should have explosives about their person, these explosives are set off by shockwaves and shooting anywhere else would trigger the bomb.

25. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Andy "hard as ******* nails" McNab was on the news last night. He said there really shouldn't be such a fuss about 5 shots. The idea is to make sure the threat is neutralised - it only takes less than a second, a convulsive twitch, to detonate something. The police had to make sure that no nerve impulses were going to leave that brain.

Better than shooting once, standing up and saying "that should do it". Many people have survived head shots.

And 5 shots isn't that much anyway. Think about it, 5 quick shots, in probably a second. Its not like they all stood back and fired hundreds of rounds into him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.