main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Visit

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by ForceGhostOfCozmic, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Hi :)

I was just posting to get some info about London. Me and my gf, will be visiting in April for 4 days and I was wondering what was cheaper; Oyster or Travelcard? We'd be making about 4 tube/DLR trips a day, and maybe the Night Bus on one of them.

Also, we're staying at the London City Airport Travelodge and would like to know if anyone knows what the area is like.

Thanks for any info

Coz [face_peace]

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Seems easier to get a Travelcard, seeing as if you decide to use any Overground trains Oysters won't work on them before 9:30am.
    Plus as a tourist to London you'd have to pay a £5 deposit to get an Oyster which you'd need to factor in on top of how much you want on it.

But, an Oyster will never take off more then the value of a travelcard each day, so topping up may be cheaper then buying a new Travelcard each time.

If you do get a Travelcard, be sure it's only 4 zones, no need to spend extra for a 6 zone if you're unlikely to go that far out.

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks for that Richie :) Was thinking of getting a Zone 1-3 7 Day Travelcard, which is about £30.20. You'd say that was a good course to take?

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that is the best option for you. Travelcards are more flexible and makes changing between, for example, buses and the Tube much easier. Going by the indicated number of journeys you intend to make you will save some money as well :).

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Beware that Travelcards won't work before 9:30am during weekdays, unless you buy the more expensive ones.
    Not sure if buying a weekly Travelcard is financially practical if you're only going for 4 days, maybe it's cheaper buying 1 day cards each time.

6. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I had a look around at TFL's website and it comes down to how many times you will travel through more than one zone and at what times. For example, a single journey from London City Airport to West End costs £2.40 with Oyster during off peak. The 7 day travel card works at any time according to TFL so that's a bonus. The day travelcards are a different story though and if yoou travel during off peak then getting one off peak travel card each day is the cheapest option.

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks guys [face_peace]

Which ever one I use that weekend, it will most likely be a travel card :)

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Cozmic - if you happen to be visiting over Easter weekend, Star Wars in Concert is playing at the O2 Arena. See this thread in UK Regional for more information and a ticket link.

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I saw it at the O2 last Easter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.