main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Long Beach Fans

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by J-327, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-327

J-327 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    Anyone showing up to AMC Marina Pacifica for the midnight show?

I will be there with my blue Obi Wan-style lightsaber. I have to teach until 7 p.m. (final exams) and I plan on wearing my Star Wars t-shirt to class! Maybe I'll even use the lightsaber as a pointer for the board.

It will be glorious! I can't wait to see other fans and hang out with my brother. I took him to see ROTJ when he was in kindergarten.

2. ajthelegend

ajthelegend Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    Hey j... I've been looking for fans in the Long Beach area... Do you know of any fan forces or clubs around here.... Would you be intrested in maybe getting one started....

3. J-327

Aug 11, 1999
    I haven't heard of anything around here -- but I'm a bit older than most, so perhaps I'm out of the loop. I would love to see something get started.

4. ajthelegend

ajthelegend Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    Cool, if I decide to go that route I will definitely get back w/you....

5. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Hey, what a coincidence, I never expected to find anyone at the actual same theatre!
    My friend and I will be at the midnight show at Marina Pacifica--he's going as Obi-wan will the full-on Jedi thing, and I'm in Amidala's black corset oufit. :)
    I'm so glad there are other people in LB (I looked under "South Bay at first 'til I realized it meant South SF Bay :)
    Do you teach at CSULB?

6. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    I'll be at the Marina Pacifica tonight, too. I'm so relieved other people are dressing up. I'll be wearing a brown Jedi robe. I'm going to head over to the theater right after the second Simpsons is over.

7. J-327

Aug 11, 1999
    Pivy:

I saw you! I went up to you in line and complimented you guys on your costumes. I was the woman with the three tiny Star Wars pins (Vader, C3PO and R2D2) on my Bespin jacket. Remember--I bragged about them being originals.

No way. How cool is this?!

What did you think of the movie?! My brother and I are going again tomorrow morning for the 10 a.m. show up at Edwards 26. I can't wait. I'm already in withdrawl!

I don't teach at CSULB -- I went there for grad school and had enough of it! I am teaching English at El Camino and Cerritos. You should see my Star Wars-themed website for my classes:

elcamino.cc.ca.us/faculty/jknox

MTFBWY!

8. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    I also went to Marina Pacifica with friends...who ended up getting stuck in the damn theater with the jacked up trailers.And with that we were in the wrong line for everyone that dressed up. We didn't see one person who had gotten all decked out in thier jedi best. Anyone have pictures from the lines or anything? But all was forgiven when the movie started. We are such suckers. :)

9. pivy

May 12, 2002
    No way! That is so cool! What's weirder is that my bos sanctioned the morning off for us and even bought to tickets...to the 10am show at Edwards 26! I was there, too! :)
    Glad to hear you don't teach at CSULB...I've had about enough of that place, too. :)
    I've got to go to the 'rents house to download the pics from my digital camera but I hope to post some tonight.
    Later!

--Ivy
    ps> Cool webpage :)

10. DEWGOD01

Mar 30, 2002
    Gooodie... I never get enough pics of girls dressed up like Princess Leia or Amidala. :)

11. Esioneht

Esioneht Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Ivy, don't neglect to send me the pics before posting them - I want to "touch up" my lightsabre blade to make it look just that little bit more authentic!

12. pivy

May 12, 2002
    Okay, so I've got my pics but I have no idea how to post them here. I finally got one of them up; I hope the link works:

Here goes nothing!

(I apologize profusely for the fact that it's on AOL, but there was nothing more I could do at that particular moment in time :) )

13. Kevlar

Kevlar Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Pivy,

Great costume! :) Care to list the items and where you got them from? Especially your friend's lightsaber. ;)

I live in Lakewood. Taking the kids to see AOTC tomorrow.

14. pivy

May 12, 2002
    I actually got my website to (sort-of) work, and I posted some pics of my costume and a little synopsis of what I used to put it together:

Check it out.

There's a bunch of great boards for costuming under Fan Activities if you're interested...I got so hooked that I think I'm going to work on some others.

(PS> Totally off topic, but if you live in Lakewood & you're into sewing/costuming, my friend and I just discovered the absolutle BEST fabric store yesterday @ Bellflower & Alondra--Super nice fabric, super inexpensive. :))

15. Kevlar

Kevlar Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Thanks, pivy! I'll check out the store when I get ready to have the items made.

Is your friend's lightsaber in the picture shown with an actual blade, or is it rendered? Just curious because I'm collecting info on lightsabers to help me with a decision on which to buy.

16. pivy

May 12, 2002
    It has an actual EL blade, but he did touch up the picture slightly in Photoshop. I know he got it here.

I'm sure once he's seen your post about it, he'll be more than happy to tell you all about it :)

17. Esioneht

Esioneht Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Hey Kevlar,

Glad to help with lightsaber selection - www.lightechindustries.com is where I got mine. Mine is the Defender model - very sturdy machined aluminum hilt (with a nice weighty feel to it - I can spin it around one-handed, Obi-Wan-style fairly easily). The blade is a hollow tube stuffed with ElectroLuminescent wire - VERY sturdy, although it does have a SLIGHT bit of bend to it when swinging it around fast, but that's just the nature of the beast, I suppose. I like the Lightech blades better than the Parks Sabers blades, because they don't have the stupid cap on the end - the tip actually glows just as brightly as the body of the blade. They're somewhat expensive ($225 - about $375, depending on which model you choose), but if you want a good-looking, well-made, functional saber, it's well worth the investment, IMHO. Oh, and the guy who makes them is very nice and VERY helpful - don't be afraid to ask questions before you buy, he's more than happy to answer them. He can even add on a machined aluminum Covertec button for no additional charge!

18. JediGoodness

JediGoodness Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    I'm in Long Beach. Although, I went to the Long Beach Towne Center Edward's theater for the midnight showing.

19. DEWGOD01

Mar 30, 2002
    And how was it there? :)

20. JediGoodness

May 18, 2002
    It was fairly normal which is a bit odd for the midnight showing. There was only one person in costume! Atleast that I could see. Either way, it was fun to be amongst so many great SW fans.

21. pivy

May 12, 2002
    My first thought had been to see the 12:01 show at Edwards Towne Center, but AMC Marina Pacific went on sale first. I have to say, I've gone to that Edwards almost exclusively since it opened (I used to work in the center and live right down the street) but--and I don't know if it was just because it was the midnight SW show or what--the customer service at AMC seemed to far surpass anything I've ever experienced at Edwards. Especially noted since the next two times I saw Episode II, they were both at Towne Center... Just my $0.02. It is a nice theatre, screen and seat-wise, though.

22. DEWGOD01

Mar 30, 2002
    I contemplated going to that same Edwards but needless to say dismissed it because of the parking situation that ALWAYS seems to be a problem there as well as when I went there after it first opened they didn't take ATM cards (I still don't believe they do) and they couldn't help me by telling me where one is so I could spend money with them. Oh well....maybe they will catch up to the 20th century someday. :) Still glad you had a good time there.

23. pivy

May 12, 2002
    I don't know what they were smoking when they designed that center... there is absolutely *no* provision for theater parking....all the allotted parking there is basically for the stores, but people end up parking there becuase there is no specific theater parking. So if you wnt to see a movie, you park by Barnes & noble, if you want to go to Barnes & Noble, you park by Old Navy, if you want to go to Old Navy, you park at Lowe's, if you want to go to Lowe's... well, there's really no place left. And to think they're building a Wal-Mart... :::shudder:::

24. JediGoodness

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, it's a terrible parking situation.

25. pivy

May 12, 2002
    So I suppose if we were ever to have a Long Beach get-together, it wouldn't be there...

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.