main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Long Gone – Yoda meets Padmé’s ghost; COMPLETE -- replies for epilogue chapters 12-1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kahara, Jun 14, 2014.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    He huffs with laughter. Long ago, he decided that he could either laugh or go Sith on the larcenous tree rats. So far, chosen to laugh at them he has.

To go Sith. That is a brilliant term! :D

Lady Mary and Kahara like this.
  2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Loved the glimpse into Yoda's daily life and the description of Naboo is very evocative - as is the image of Padme's ghost in the water. Looking forward to more!

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Very funny update with the Leaf-tail after Yoda's food. A Sithly creature;)

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Isn't it amazing that is always the smallest things that can be the biggest pests. Add me to the tag list please :D

5. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Lovely writing! I hear Yoda's voice, with Frank Oz's intonations, in my head as I read. And the acorns on the floor...it's the equivalent of Legos! I'm now imaging Lego Yoda in this story...8-}
    Anyway, you have done a great job with capturing both Padamé and Yoda in both the dialog and the description of their behavior. I'm looking forward to more. And please add me to the tag list.

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Lovely description of Dagobah's flora and fauna. I've met some squirrels and raccoons that must be related to that leaf-tail. :)

I agree with Falcon-- we need more. I can't wait to see whose viewpoint prevails and how the other is persuaded. (I don't know why, because she's not a really princess-y princess, but I have a hard time picturing Leia on Dagobah in the mud and slime. Maybe it's just that she's always dressed in white ;)

7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Chapter 4 - I have to say, I've never really liked Ahsoka - nothing against her actual character, I've just always thought it seemed almost laughable that the Council would give Anakin a padawan - but I really like the way you used her here.

This is a great line -
    Because nothing weakens a sentient being quite as much as the knowledge that they have no real home to return to between trials

Chapter 5 - Love the leaf-tail!

And I really like these lines:
    A wavering of sorts in the Force he can sense ever since speaking with Amidala. Pathways are shifting and rearranging themselves in the energy field; all of his attempts at meditation branch off into many fragmented possible futures.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I liked how the TCW was incorporated, especially the change that Ahsoka's presence in Anakin's life brought about a change - and Padme is the one to have seen it in a different perspective than Yoda - and also the glimpses of Yoda's life in the swamp.

9. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Replies - for Chapter 5

Thank you all for the comments. :) The tag list has been updated. Chapter 6 will go up later today (Sunday 8-24.)

Falcon:

Patience! :p

AzureAngel2:

Ha, thank you, though I don’t think it’s my unique invention. I’m pretty sure it’s a common phrase in fandom that I picked up. ;)

JadeLotus

:) Thank you! Padmé’s ghost in the water was one of the visuals that I had in mind before writing this part.

earlybird-obi-wan

They are deprived of the Dark Side, but their determination knows no bounds. :p Thanks!

Mando-Man

Well, they are based on squirrels. I remember being scandalized to learn that people thought of those adorable little creatures as vermin. Years later and many squirrel tales heard (and some rather bold specimens shooed off from stealing my ice cream – watch those scruffy thieves closely if you ever eat anywhere near the Grand Canyon :rolleyes:), I now understand! Still rather fond of the rascals, but I sympathize with the squirrel-haters. [face_laugh] Thanks, and you’re on the tag list now.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku:

Thank you. I’m thrilled if the voice comes through there. :D Somehow, I feel like the “pain of discovering small objects on the floor” experience is something that even Jedi Masters would have to face on occasion. Added you to the list! :)

Raissa Baiard

I suspect the “pest” gene lurks somewhere within most cute little tree-climbing creatures. ;)

And I can’t wait to reveal the future chapters, since I’m fascinated to find out what people will think of them. Okay, and anxious too. :p

Interesting thoughts on Leia’s possible reaction to the swamp (if she were to go there.) Yes, I think I know what you mean. It’s not that she wouldn’t go there if she had to, but it definitely sounds like a fish out of water location! The closest that I can recall to that kind of environment for her in the movies was Endor in ROTJ. She was well-kempt in a woodsy sort of way there. However, I suspect very few humans would actually enjoy Dagobah’s climate. [face_laugh] Thank you for commenting!

Tarsier:

:) Thank you. My initial reaction to Ahsoka was also pretty bland when watching the Clone Wars pilot. Queen’s Said the Joker to the Thief series (posted under iceaffinity here) convinced me of the potential of the character. Highly recommended and probably responsible for any interest I’ve taken in the TCW era. I continue to be really fond of The Wildlife of Star Wars. :p It sneaks into everything – especially when it smells food.

pronker:

Since the teacher/apprentice relationship was about the closest thing the Jedi had to parenting, my guess is that Padmé would understand more fully how that affected Anakin. As his wife, she’d be able to see the subtle differences over time. Some of the inspiration for her observations came from reading interviews and background about TCW. Apparently, they deliberately tried to show Ahsoka as a daughter-type figure to Anakin and how that influenced his journey. I found that I liked that idea. There is a lot of demonstration of how Anakin’s connections unbalance him in ROTS, so the flip side is interesting to consider – that he'd actually matured from who he was in AOTC, partly because of his attachment. From a certain point of view. ;) Thank you for commenting!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Tags: earlybird-obi-wan , Thuro, Falcon, Findswoman, JadeLotus, Mando-Man, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, Raissa Baiard

Chapter 6: Harbinger

“I return because I have chosen not to rest yet.” Amidala looks out over the pond, which is dotted with the crimson blooms of nharpira’s-eye lillies. “It’s not something that is easy to explain. All I can say is that it happened when I looked back. They’re right when they tell you that’s dangerous.”

She shrugs. “But I did look, and – maybe because I was between states – I saw the bindings. They were all over the place. Little manipulations, lies, and hidden cruelties were tied to bigger ones, drawing everything they touched into the web. There was no need to even follow them to know who was at the center. That was the galaxy that I was leaving behind. It was intolerable.”

More to the story there must be, but she does not tell it.

“Stay you did not need to. The dead have no responsibility to worry over the living, of that much I am sure.” Yoda shakes his head sadly at the thought of a non-Jedi lingering so. What Jinn learned from the Whills is one thing; that ability draws from a core of selflessness and peace with the universe. To remain through guilt, though? Amidala is, perhaps, troublesome as a ghost. Still, she does not merit the fate of being trapped between the phases of existence.

Amidala shakes her head. He knows how to interpret this particular form of the gesture, after some hundreds of years working with Humans. Source it is of the common Basic saying that things go “in one ear and out the other.”

“And you have no responsibility to worry over me, Master Yoda. As I said, I’m here because I choose to be.”

“Thought about your words I have, Senator. But follow them I cannot.”

“So you’ve been stewing over how misguided I am,” she says with an amiable smile. Pah. Senators.

“That too. Not only for that reason, however. Time stands still for you, but for me it has not. Too old am I to begin training more than one student.”

Amidala nods. “I realize that.”

Surprised, he blinks back at the ghost’s compassionate expression.

“What is it that you hoped to accomplish, then?”

“To plant the idea. It seemed likely that you would not want to take on so many students by yourself. My point was to get you thinking about the benefits of a small group. You have been living in isolation here on Dagobah for so long that the outside must seem very far away.” Amidala meets his gaze directly. “You would not have to be the only teacher. There are others.”

It takes a moment for that suggestion to sink in. He does not like it at all.

“None that I can call upon, Senator. The last Jedi that I know of are myself, Jinn, and Kenobi. The ones who have escaped… they are lost. One with the Force, some of them. Others fallen into shadow or made wary and bitter by a life of hiding. Those few survivors wish only to forget who they were.”

“I think you may be exaggerating the drawbacks of some potential allies.”

“Refuse to bring them into this task I do. Too many are vulnerable to being influenced by the dark side, even those who have not joined the Empire. Putting them all together – no. Harmful to both them and the students.”

She raises her eyebrows. “More harmful than the inevitable task of rebuilding the Jedi unaided? I don’t doubt that there are some unhealthy ex-Jedi out there, but I also believe that you have the experience to figure out which ones are the bad risks.”

No. Senator Amidala, there is no more that I have to say to you today. Please leave.” He turns around and goes back to searching for food supplies. There is no purpose in continuing the discussion. It disturbs him.

“If you are going to continue this way, I suppose there is little I can do about it. However, there are some things that you should know.” Requires some resolve not to turn around, as the edge to her tone makes him instinctively want to face the threat.

“I am not prevented from appearing to untrained Force-sensitives, Master Yoda.”

He whirls back towards her, gasping in disbelief.

“Do this you cannot.”

“Oh, I most certainly can.”

“Blackmail this is.”

“My children they are.”

Speech fails him. Years of careful planning could topple over in a matter of minutes. If she tells them. The end of all it could be.

Notes:

Nharpira (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nharpira)

List of Jedi Purge survivors, for reference: (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Jedi_Purge_survivors) Investigating the list may explain why Yoda has concerns! Altogether, they’re a motley rogues gallery of heroes, villains, and scoundrels. ;)

Whills (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_the_Whills)

Thanks to Nyota's Heart for beta-checking. :)

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and Tarsier like this.
  11. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    :eek:

You're not gonna make this AU, are you? Not that I'd be averse to that, but...I'd gotten the impression this is canonverse :p perhaps stupidly, since your OP said nothing about it.
    Anyway, cool plot twist!

12. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    If anyone would have the nerve to blackmail Yoda it would be Padme :p

I found the idea of her being trapped by guilt to be an intriguing idea.

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, I love this threat of blackmail! And what an infinitely interesting kind of blackmail! I wonder what happens to untrained Force-sensitives (or even what Yoda and/or Padmé think might happen to untrained Force-sensitives) who see Force ghosts? Is something to this effect already established in official sources, or is it just left to us readers to speculate? Either way, it's just so... intriguing, and I can't wait for the next installment to find out how Yoda will respond to this.

And wow, that is one long list of purge survivors. I hadn't realized it was so many. :eek:

Great job on chapter 5 too—loved the interlude of the leaf-tail and the little glimpse into some of the mundane, everyday frustrations that must plague anyone dwelling all alone in a place like Dagobah.

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    She's taking advantage of his warm feelings towards her - but the stakes are worth it.

I'd like maybe a little more on her limitations, or something about what it's like where she is - always love a supernatural story!@};-

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Intriguing update.
    Padme wants there to be more Jedi. What will happen to untrained Force snsitives

16. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Sorry I've been away from the forum for a while, but definitely was a truly pleasant surprise to see that this fanfic has been growing. I especially love the last line of Padme's from chapter six:

I can only imagine Padme's hand in creating a New Jedi Order or possibly how Yoda is going to resolve all of this.

17. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    “Blackmail this is.”

“My children they are.”

Speech fails him. Years of careful planning could topple over in a matter of minutes. If she tells them. The end of all it could be

She just made an interesting point. Go Padme More soon

18. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Wise as Yoda may be, it also makes him a bit presumptuous at times. The hardest thing for age to do is put ego aside when youth speaks and really listen. Padame has some good points - Yoda doesn't have to do this alone. There is always a choice, even when it appears that there is none. Padame knows that better than just about anyone, being a politician. So, can Yoda defend his choice to Padame's satisfaction?

Looking forward to the next installment!

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love this reasoning, and very keeping with Padme's character. You've really captured her inner strength and determination here, and she is the perfect person to call Yoda on his own ego.

I would love for her to appear to Luke and/or Leia is that's the way you're going!

Kahara likes this.
  20. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    I just love that line "Blackmail this is" it just doesn't seem like something you would expect Yoda to say but it also sounds perfectly like the slightly senile, if not wonky, Yoda that Luke meets in TESB.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Super from Padme. You can see her skill with outspokenness and getting to the core of a matter forthrightly. I like her form of 'blacmail.'

22. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    As always, thank you to everyone who commented. I’ve recently returned from a trip and am still in a vague and loopy state of being, but eventually I’ll get to answering them. :D Meanwhile, the next chapter!

earlybird-obi-wan, Falcon, Findswoman, JadeLotus, Mando-Man, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, Raissa Baiard, Thuro

Chapter 7: Disquiet
    Amidala stares back at his glowering face with a look that he knows all too well – wear it often he does, when faced with monumental repairs for his dwelling that the swamp is always attempting to eat. No quarter to the unpleasant task at hand.

“How – you know the damage it would do if they were to find out so soon!”

“I never said that it was what I preferred.”

Yoda squints at her warily, at a loss for how to salvage the situation. He reaches to the Force for guidance. Hmm. An inconsistency there is.

“You would allow them not to know of their heritage, if they were to train together.”

“Honestly, I think they would figure out they were siblings once introduced to any advanced training. The likeness of their auras is a bit hard to mistake. I doubt you need to worry that that would lead them to more details of their family history. So much has been forgotten, destroyed, or garbled over the years.”

“Find it hard to believe I do that you would allow them to remain in ignorance of Vader’s relation to Anakin Skywalker. The Sith must be destroyed. Willing to let that happen you are?” He can scarcely believe that, knowing the strength of Amidala’s devotion to her husband.

“Yes, actually.” Used to seeing ghosts on occasion, Yoda normally does not notice how unreflective their eyes are. He is surprised to find that he must struggle not to back away from that gaze.

She gives a faint, melancholy smile to some memory out of view. “Vader is a grown Sith and can take care of himself. I do still believe there is good in him. That doesn’t mean I want the children finding out at an inopportune time. Early would be bad. Late would be… less than ideal, but not cause for my interference. They are all alive; they will have to sort it out for themselves.”

“Something of an irony I perceive,” Yoda remarks. “If I cooperate, this ultimatum of yours will hardly not interfere in their lives..”

“A matter of degree, Master Yoda.”

“More formal you become when being a menace you are.”

Eyebrow and no comment. Hmmph. His ears twitch with agitation.

“Even if I wanted to contact the Purge survivors, I could not. See where they are at one moment in time, I sometimes do. Usually shortly before they die. Not useful for building an address book that is.” He scowls.

Amidala appears to be deliberating something, but the Force is quiet as to her emotional state.

“Maybe so, but I know how to find the ones who can help get a project of this kind started.”

“Oh dear Force,” he mutters.

“Well, it is everywhere.”

“Who?” Sheer, morbid curiosity motivates him.

“You’ll need Ahsoka,” she says, as though that were a perfectly obvious answer.

“Tano would not agree. Abandoned the ways of the Jedi. Full of despair and mistrust she was the last we spoke. Improved matters for her I expect the Empire’s reign has not.”

“She may surprise you, and she has connections to others who could help in training.”

“Hmm. And the students? Most children of high Force-sensitivity are killed or turned in the Empire. More than Luke and Leia it may not be reasonable to expect to find.”

“Well, let me think. Quinlan’s children are all Force-sensitive. He’s not eager for Imperial attention, but I can talk him into it.”

“You have been talking to Quinlan Vos,” he says without a trace of question. Interesting it is, really. Each and every time he thinks this cannot get more alarming, it does.

She replies with yet more words to make him doubt his cardiovascular system will last the short years that he believes he still has.

“And to Scout. She hired a slicer recently, after attempts to locate her family failed. They discovered that her parents had been executed, but evidently Scout also had a much younger sister who was taken into some sort of training by the Empire.”

“Seen that sister of hers in my visions. A good idea this is not! Too much anger, even though the Emperor has not trained her in the ways of the Sith. Knife fights with the other students we will be having. Strangulation with common household objects. Broken skulls.”

“Scout is very determined to get her back.”

Though Scout is dear to him as one of the younglings he mentored during the Clone Wars, Yoda is unsure of this idea. Knows through the Force that the former Padawan has grown up to have a fondness for high explosives and a great deal of Mandalorian cultural influence. Recognized her by the blast scarring on her armor he has for several years now. Combining this with the Imperial sister – much mass destruction he foresees.

“Are you sure that a school for Jedi this is that you are planning? Because sound remarkably like a demolition crew it does.”

Amidala’s smile is serene. “The skills these Jedi exiles have learned will be helpful for what the children need to achieve within the next several years.”

“The fear they have developed living under the Empire will be a problem.”

“Fear is always one of the problems.” She nods graciously and fades out.

“Agree to any of this foolishness I do not. Vanishing does not win arguments.”

Yoda gathers up the food packs and heads for home. If things are to be this aggravating, more stew he will need to make.

Notes:

Quinlan Vos (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos)

Scout (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tallisibeth_Enwandung-Esterhazy)

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Padme seems to have thought out a lot of the details. Scout sounds very intriguing and Ahsoka is always a treat to read. As Padme marshalls more telling arguments, you can definitely see Leia's penchant for getting right to the crux. So much is Padme good at what she does, that she keeps getting the last word. [face_laugh]

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Glad to see this today, and yay for mentions of Scout, Quinlan and his son Korto, and other Sensitives! They'll come out of hiding if they know they have a safe house to go to ...

25. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Not useful for building an address book that is.” He scowls..

That made me laugh so hard. It is something that is hard to see Yoda saying but at the same time it is very easy to see him saying it...if that makes any sense. Loved the Quinlan Vos reference. I'd imagine Korto would be a powerful Force sensitive like his dad.